PF
Posted By
Peter_Figen
Sep 2, 2006
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
According to what your color settings are, you are not using the Adobe U.S. WebCoatedv2 SWOP profile. You’re using the old SWOP definitions under Custom CMYK, which are considerably different. That could be part of the problem, but probably not all of it.

Follow Reed’s example of his color settings and it will cause a heck of a lot less confusion, although I uncheck the "Ask When Opening" dialog, which only causes me and extra step when opening files from different sources.

Master Retouching Hair

Learn how to rescue details, remove flyaways, add volume, and enhance the definition of hair in any photo. We break down every tool and technique in Photoshop to get picture-perfect hair, every time.

JC
John_Classen
Sep 3, 2006
Thanks guys. I will definately make the adjustements and will also check out supercal. However, just to let you know that the calibrated profile I create via Optical is indeed my default colour profile. I will check it out. Thanks again for your time and help.

John
MO
Mike_Ornellas
Sep 4, 2006
could be the things above….

could also be the output of the files.

Are you supplying PDF’s and if so, what kind? Do they have embedded profiles?

Or

Are you supplying native In Design files.

What is their workflow where you are seeing this alleged bad output?
JC
John_Classen
Sep 5, 2006
Greetings!

Hope you had a good Labor (not the Canadian Labour) weekend. I waited till I got to the studio this morning to calibrate my screen using the link you provided. The good news is that the results did not affect what a see significantly. My previous gamma was a tad brighter perhaps, but nothing major. I have also set my Colour Settings to reflect the default for North American Prepress 2, as supplied in your link. Thank you for that.

Another question: I know that Mac used to have a 1.8 gamma setting, but the world has wandered after the beast of Windows, and I have read that Mac users can comfortably calibrate their screens to 2.2. What are your thoughts about that?

A few things. I will be talking to every graphics editor that we advertise with, and get their specs, although that sales people have no clue. They just say, 300 dpi. Well duh, I know that much.

Anyway, I appreciate your time. As mentioned at the beginning of this conversation I don’t want to point fingers without first looking at myself. Now that I have taken care the things that I can control, I will move to the next level.

Thank-you again!

John
A
AlFerrari
Sep 5, 2006
In message #7 there ithis:

The specs I get from the magazines are that the final product needs to be delivered to them at 300 dpi and with a ColorMatch (note spelling) proof.

Is this proof being made, and does the problem show up in this proof?
B
Buko
Sep 5, 2006
Gamma should be 2.2

How to Improve Photoshop Performance

Learn how to optimize Photoshop for maximum speed, troubleshoot common issues, and keep your projects organized so that you can work faster than ever before!

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections