CR
Posted By
Cannie_Robbins
Feb 2, 2004
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
In all pictures of my dogs, their pupils come out yellow or white instead of black. Please help. I would try using the red eye tool, but I can’t ever figure out how to work that thing!!!

Master Retouching Hair

Learn how to rescue details, remove flyaways, add volume, and enhance the definition of hair in any photo. We break down every tool and technique in Photoshop to get picture-perfect hair, every time.

BH
Beth_Haney
Feb 2, 2004
I copied this a while back, but I haven’t tried it. There are several techniques I’ve seen posted from time to time, but this is the one I’d try first. Rich is the Adobe guy who stops in whenever he has time. I’d also use an Adjustment Layer so the whole thing could be easily eliminated if it didn’t work out well!

Fixing Dog Eyes

I have heard that the Red Eye Brush is less efficient at Green Eye in dogs. If you are not satisfied with the result, you can try some of the other methods of fixing this. Select the effected area and you can use a paintbrush in Color or Hue mode, or you can use an adjustment like Hue/Saturation on the area or a Levels adjsutment to the specific color channel. Lots of ways to do this.

Rich
JC
Jane_Carter
Feb 2, 2004
Here is an attempt that I made using several different methods. I neglected to write down what I used, as I fumbled around quite a bit before I got to picture 3.
<http://www.pbase.com/image/24513111>
I did follow a lot of suggestions here, as the people here are very good at this. Did use the Burn tool a bit, and color corrected. Forgot to say that Terri Foster had a nice tutorial on dogs eyes.
Tomorrow morning I will try to remember some of the details. However our hometown football team and their win, kept this old lady way up beyond my bed time, so will be a bit brighter in the morning. Me, not the team, I think they will be somewhat wasted in the morning,,,,,
Jane
CR
Cannie_Robbins
Feb 2, 2004
Well, I have had to deal with this problem before, but it’s been so long since I tried to use Elements’ red eye tool, I couldn’t seem to figure out how. If anyone can direct me to a clear explanation of how to use that red eye tool, I’d appreciate it. I’m sure the problem has something to do with the step where I’m supposed to choose "first click" etc.— I just do not GET it!

As for my dog’s eyes (I was mad last night and couldn’t think straight), I think I will try the clone tool. Now that I’m not in the middle of working on it and all frustrated over it, it occurs to me that the clone tool is what I have used in the past for this problem. But Jane, if you remember the details of what you did for Nicky, let me know, OK?

Oh yeah, before posting my question I tried Searching the forums to see if this problem had been discussed in the past, and I couldn’t even get the Search function to work right. Yesterday was NOT my day.

Thanks.
JC
Jane_Carter
Feb 2, 2004
Hi Cannie, I would first try the clone tool on the dogs eyes. I really don’t get great results from the red-eye tool either. But try it with changing the color that you want to eliminate from red to yellow.
I lost the tutorial that Terri sent to me, it is somewhere around here in a stack of papers. I am hoping that she or somebody else will have it and re-post it.
But in the meantime, use the clone tool, but zoom way way in, so that you can make very small and gradual changes. Make a couple of copies, or as many as you need, so you can compare them as you go along.
You can use the burn and dodge tools too, also zoom in and use less exposure, like 50%, or less. Try to preserve the highlight or the reflection.
If at first you don’t get good results, just go back a couple of hours later, and try it again. I made about 15 tries on Nicky before I got the 2 that looked fairly good.

(Actually yesterday wasn’t too good for me either, our dog got into a fight with a new dog about a mile from our house, and that dog bit me on the arm(yes, it is still really sore), and our own dog bit my husband on his hand by mistake. But we did manage to get them apart with out either of them getting cut.
Then this morning I wrenched my back and can hardly walk. I can still computer and read, but it is our first day above 34º F. here, so I am a bit p****d off at myself.
Oh, well, the NE Patriots won the superbowl and that takes all the pain away! And nothing can keep me from playing with PSE and my new filters.) Jane
WE
Wendy_E_Williams
Feb 2, 2004
I don’t use the red eye tool anymore as it doesn’t seem to give me good results.

what I do now is:

Select the red area plus a few pixels … feather a little. Make a new layer … (do each eye on a separate layer).
Enhance>colour>hue & sat> … select red from the edit box and reduce saturation to zero or thereabouts
Enhance>Brightness & contrast>levels .. move the left hand marker in about a third of the way and move the centre marker over to the right until the area goes dark …not too far or it will look artificial.

It works with Dogs and Cats although you may have to change the "select red from the edit box" to another colour …

Wendy
CR
Cannie_Robbins
Feb 2, 2004
Thank you both VERY much for your suggestions— I will try them and let you know how it worked.

Cannie
R
ruizpaul
Feb 3, 2004
Cannie,

You might also try this:

Zoom in on the eye until you can see the individual pixels.

Select the pencil tool from the tool box.

In the options bar, Choose Size: 1 or 2 px, Mode: Normal, Opacity: 100%

In the color picker at the bottom left, click on the small black and white squares to make foreground color black.

Now begin clicking on the most offensive eye pixels as you see fit. They will be replaced with the black foreground color. (Zoom out occasionally to see the cumulative effect.) If black is too dark, use some shade of dark gray as your foreground color. Hope this helps.

Paul
RM
Ron Minler
Feb 3, 2004
Jay’s tips for PE will work on any eye color, ( red, yellow, green, etc.), removal.
http://www.arraich.com/elements/pse_eeredeye1.htm

Ron

wrote in message
In all pictures of my dogs, their pupils come out yellow or white instead
of black. Please help. I would try using the red eye tool, but I can’t ever figure out how to work that thing!!!
CL
Carl Lutes
Feb 4, 2004
Cannie,
you might also try the above method BUT, use the portion of the method at this link < http://graphicssoft.about.com/cs/photoshopelements/ht/psered eye.htm> which describes doing so in a separate layer which allows you to see the close up and the "big picture" at the same time.
GW
greg_wallis
Feb 4, 2004
Instead of zooming in and out to check how your work is going on the eye just go to view/new….that way you can keep an eye on adjustments as you make them.ie you will have 2 windows…one with the zoomed in view …the other at normal .
RH
Russ_Harwell
Feb 4, 2004
You might try this plug-in filter…Works great!

<http://www.andromeda.com/info/redeyepro.html>
TF
Terri_Foster
Feb 4, 2004
Cannie- You might want to check your TV listings and look for Tech TV’s "Call For Help" because today’s subject is removing red eye in Photoshop Elements. It comes on two times. If you miss the daytime run of the show, it repeats again late at night.
PA
Patti_Anderson
Feb 4, 2004
Instead of zooming in and out to check how your work is going on the eye just go to view/new….that way you can keep an eye on adjustments as you make them.ie you will have 2 windows…one with the zoomed in view …the other at normal.

I didn’t know we could do that! That definitely qualifies for the tip of the month in by book!

🙂 Patti
JC
Jane_Carter
Feb 4, 2004
Hi Patti, View New! I was not aware of this feature either. Thanks for the tip, that is going to be a very useful one for us especially during a photo restoration project.
Jane
TF
Terri_Foster
Feb 4, 2004
Cannie- The show said it was doing red eye correction, however, it ended up being a lesson on using levels for color corrections. So scratch that off the to do list. By the way, I think instead of late night the repeat runs early in the morning. I may have been thinking of the Screen Savers rerun schedule.

How to Master Sharpening in Photoshop

Give your photos a professional finish with sharpening in Photoshop. Learn to enhance details, create contrast, and prepare your images for print, web, and social media.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections