S
Posted By
SCKW
Sep 18, 2006
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
Hi. Everyone. First Time here, hope my problem can be answer.

I was editting 2 EPS files in the Photoshop 7 & saved in PSD, before I save-as EPS format.

Hoping that the transparency background of the Origins can be maintained, but the New EPS File ends up with White Background when I open it.

I still keep the PSD working file, can anyone here advice how can I save the PSD file into EPS file format & maintaining Transparency background ?

* Other info for you:

I opened the 2 EPS files at Resolution = 300. Both EPS files are in seperated layers in PSD copy.

Hope to get any useful advice at the earliest. Thank You.

Must-have mockup pack for every graphic designer 🔥🔥🔥

Easy-to-use drag-n-drop Photoshop scene creator with more than 2800 items.

JS
John_Slate
Sep 18, 2006
Eps files do not support transparency.

Tell us why you think you need to save as EPS, and what you will be using the files for.

Also: It sounds like you have rasterized an Illustrator EPS file in Photoshop.

Tell us why you felt you had to do that, if that is what you did.
Y
YrbkMgr
Sep 18, 2006
Eps files do not support transparency

Well, I don’t know about that. Here’s what I do…

I prepare my images by having a transparent background as a PSD. Then I select, by whatever means, the pixel data, and save that as a Path. Then, in the Paths palette, change the name of the path from Working Path to something else. Then from the Paths Palette, click the triangle and from the flyout menu choose Clipping Path. Enter a value (I usually use 8 ), and then OK the dialog.

Save the file as an EPS and the clipping path will be preserved when you import it into another program.

FWIW, the reason that *I* do that is because it is the only reliable way to have a transparency on an imported image with MS Publisher.

Peace,
Tony
S
SCKW
Sep 18, 2006
To John
…. My 2 Original EPS Files have transparent background. So, I has no excuses that EPS cannot have no transparency background.

To Tony
…. I need the Transparency b’cos the other party requested for it to be transpanrency background EPS format.

* Does anyone else know any other methods to make EPS format having transparency ???
S
stevent
Sep 18, 2006
The original .eps files were vector .eps files, not raster.

Edit the files in Illustrator.
BL
Bob Levine
Sep 18, 2006
Well, I don’t know about that.

Trust me, Tony…it’s correct.

The confusion comes in because of what most people consider transparency. In this contexted it has to do with raster data and transparent/translucent pixels. Think dropshadow or feathered edges.

A vector EPS file doesn’t really have any transparency in this context and if it did…again, think dropshadow…it would be flattened and a white background would be present.

Bob
Y
YrbkMgr
Sep 18, 2006
Well all I know is that I can import an image into publisher and have the clipping path preserved. So that may not be a transparency, but it behaves like one in that circumstance. <shrug>.
BL
Bob Levine
Sep 18, 2006
A clipping path hides pixels, Tony, it doesn’t make them transparent.

I don’t normally like to nitpick, but in this case I think it’s pretty important to differentiate.

Bob
Y
YrbkMgr
Sep 18, 2006
Totally cool Bob. Functionally the same, but technically different – I’m sure that there are cases where that difference is important. Personally, I don’t know anything about Clipping Paths, I just know that it’s the only way I can get "transparency like" behavior in that bumbling N’er do well MS Pub. <smile>.
BL
Bob Levine
Sep 18, 2006
Well, now it’s my turn to get on your back about your choice of applications. <g>

MS Publisher is an abortion of a pagelayout application. The postscript it creates is generally trash so any printer is going to have a nightmare of time. Sort of like the code FrontPage creates for the web.

There are a far better choices out there but for my money InDesign the best and fully supports trasparency in PSD files.

Bob
Y
YrbkMgr
Sep 18, 2006
No doubt about what you say Bob, no doubt. But here’s the deal. All I do is create a single page for inclusion in a PDF. Here’s an example. Introduction < http://img366.imageshack.us/img366/7334/pagesfrompoly71aas3. jpg>

I either have to go through a major learning curve with an expensive page layout program, or use MS Pub, which I already have as a part of Office to create this simple page. The only drawback is the notion of transparency, which I have "licked". Remember the conversation we had about using Front Page? This time I’m using your rationale <smile>.

Believe me, if I had to do anything else, I wouldn’t use it.
DM
Don_McCahill
Sep 18, 2006
I know what you are saying, Tony.

I feel the same way about Publisher as Bob, but I teach the darn thing. For a lot of people, it is the correct tool, when your main output is going to be to non-PostScript printers to announce office pools, simple invitations, and lost-dog posters. I figure I can at least teach them how to use it correctly.

MacBook Pro 16” Mockups 🔥

– in 4 materials (clay versions included)

– 12 scenes

– 48 MacBook Pro 16″ mockups

– 6000 x 4500 px

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections