PR
Posted By
Phil Rose
Feb 2, 2004
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
Recently I’ve been unable to open certain (recently saved) jpeg files in PS 7.01–these files cause an error message:

"Write to registry failed Options not saved."

Whereupon Photoshop unceremoniously quits.

I’m using a Power Mac G4 DP 1.42 Ghz with OS 10.2.3. It appears that all of my previously saved files can be opened without problem, it’s only the jpegs that I’ve transferred to my hard drive during the last couple of days that produce the error I decscribed. BTW, these same files open OK in Preview.

Any ideas about what’s wrong?

Phil

How to Master Sharpening in Photoshop

Give your photos a professional finish with sharpening in Photoshop. Learn to enhance details, create contrast, and prepare your images for print, web, and social media.

PR
Phil Rose
Feb 3, 2004
In article <020220041215040234%>, Phil Rose
wrote:

Recently I’ve been unable to open certain (recently saved) jpeg files in PS 7.01–these files cause an error message:

I’m using a Power Mac G4 DP 1.42 Ghz with OS 10.2.3. It appears that all of my previously saved files can be opened without problem, it’s only the jpegs that I’ve transferred to my hard drive during the last couple of days that produce the error I decscribed. BTW, these same files open OK in Preview.

The answer is…that a MacBibble (RAW format) plugin had been installed in a couple of Photoshop’s "File Formats" folders. When I removed these plugins, the problem reading the jpeg files disappeared. I have no idea why only these recent jpegs had a conflict with the MacBibble plugin–they were not RAW files, but ordinary jpegs.

The clue was noticing that at the same time the error message ("Write to registry failed…") appeared, a small box containing the words "MacBibble status" also appeared. So I began hunting for any traces of MacBibble to delete.

Phil
PR
Phil Rose
Feb 3, 2004
In article <020220041215040234%>, Phil Rose
wrote:

I posted (in another thread) the fact that this problem was solved by removing the MacBibble plugins that were lurking in my Photoshop "File Formats" folders. I do not know why only a particular group of recent jpeg files (not RAW format) were conflicting with the MacBibble plugin, but removing MacBibble solved the problem.

Phil
SM
Steve Moody
Feb 4, 2004
In article <030220041302017768%>, Phil Rose
wrote:

I posted (in another thread) the fact that this problem was solved by removing the MacBibble plugins that were lurking in my Photoshop "File Formats" folders. I do not know why only a particular group of recent jpeg files (not RAW format) were conflicting with the MacBibble plugin, but removing MacBibble solved the problem.

I would guess the error message was from MacBibble. Since the Mac OS has no registry, it certainly was not a Photoshop error. Adobe would not have Photoshop trying to write to the registry on a Mac.

MacBibble must be poorly ported to the Mac. See if that have a newer version that will not try to find the registry on your Mac. If not, let them know they need to put more work into the source.

Master Retouching Hair

Learn how to rescue details, remove flyaways, add volume, and enhance the definition of hair in any photo. We break down every tool and technique in Photoshop to get picture-perfect hair, every time.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections