Posted By
Nicole_Dextras
Aug 22, 2006
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
Hi
I am on an old mac- system 9.2 and i am using photoshop 6- i will be upgrading everything soon but i have a burning question first regarding file sizes. I am trying to make a 1800x 1800 pixel 300dpi file into a jpeg that must be less than 1.8 mg. My question is regarding the finished file size. When i go to "image size" after making it into a jpg it still tells me that my document size is 9.28mgs. but when i go to "Get Info" it tells me that my file size is 1.2 mgs. Which is the correct file size. Also when i make the jpegs, either from save as or save for web options the jpegs in the get info option are all slightly different. Shouldn’t the jpegs be all the same if i am starting with the same photos with the same pixel range and dpi?
I have 8 photos to send for a submission and i want to make sure that they will be the correct size because otherwise they will not even consider them and they state that they will not contact me if there is a problem.
thanks
nicole

MacBook Pro 16” Mockups 🔥

– in 4 materials (clay versions included)

– 12 scenes

– 48 MacBook Pro 16″ mockups

– 6000 x 4500 px

PF
Peter_Figen
Aug 22, 2006
They’re both the correct file size. The first one is the file size when it’s opened up in Photoshop and what the size would be if you saved in an uncompressed mode. The Get Info size is how much room the file takes up on your disc after the jpeg compression has done its trick.

The amount of compression that you get depends both on the quality level you choose and the complexity of the image. Images with large flat areas of the same tone will generally compress much further than images with complex intricate detail, givent the same level of compression.

Unless you’re saving jpegs specifically for the web, I would just use the Save As option.

"I have 8 photos to send for a submission and i want to make sure that they will be the correct size because otherwise they will not even consider them and they state that they will not contact me if there is a problem. "

Swell folks there. My guess is that the size on disc is the one to look at, but they should state whether it’s compressed size or uncompressed size somewhere in their rules. If this is for some sort of contest, I would be more concerned that they won’t end up owning your images or be able to use them without restrictions without your consent.

Master Retouching Hair

Learn how to rescue details, remove flyaways, add volume, and enhance the definition of hair in any photo. We break down every tool and technique in Photoshop to get picture-perfect hair, every time.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections