Posted By
Robert_Camacho
Jan 30, 2004
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
Hi
I have PhotoElements installed on a W2K platform and can only access it if I have admin rights. This PC is shared by others who would also like to use the scanner and this software but when they log in as themselves they get the following error message: "Could not initialize Photoshop Elements becasue the file is locked. Use the Properties command in the Wndows Explorer to unlock this file".

I have tried giving them "Full Control" rights to "C:\Program Files\Adobe\Photoshop Elements" but it still gives the same error. However, if I give them admin rights they can use the program. Does anyone know which other directory or files I should be giving them more rights to? Thanks for any help you can render.
Robert

Must-have mockup pack for every graphic designer 🔥🔥🔥

Easy-to-use drag-n-drop Photoshop scene creator with more than 2800 items.

NS
Nancy_S
Jan 30, 2004
Robert,

If your W2K is set up like my XP Pro, you might want to create a folder in "C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Documents" for storing images if universal access to them is your goal. Or you could put a subfolder under "All Users" (or something along these lines).
NS
Nancy_S
Jan 30, 2004
Robert,

Come to think of it, with my OS I need to use my Administrator account to install programs, like I did with PSE, but I always access it with my limited User account because that is what I am in 99% of the time. Depending on who you share the computer with, your present setup might be in jepordy 🙂 Perhaps you could have them use Run As for PSE if you gave them your password, less chance for mistakes made to system files etc. Still seems strange to me that a regular user can’t open the program.
RC
Robert_Camacho
Feb 2, 2004
Hi Nancy

Thanks for the suggestion below but that did not work. I have even given "Users" shared permission to the particular folder which the program is installed in and the folders for opening, saving, and temporary files but it still does not allow the program to open. The program opens up to a particular point – initialization of brushes etc but stops just after that. It doesnt even reach the point whereby I can use options to open files or anything thing.

Thanks for your comments thought.

Robert
RC
Robert_Camacho
Feb 2, 2004
Its the same with me – I need the Administrator account to install programs. However with the exception of Photoshop Elements and MS Photo Editor, the regular user can access any program that was installed on the system. With these 2 programs I can only open the program using the administrator account. I have even tried setting up a group which is not restricted by group policies and then making the regular user a member of that group but it still does not work. I can only open these program if the regular user is a member of the Administrator group and that’s not feasible because I would be allowing the users to do whatever they wished on the system. Sooooo, I am still hoping someone will come up with another suggestion. Thanks for your comments.

Robert
NS
Nancy_S
Feb 2, 2004
Robert,

I wonder if you had it run in a "Compatibility Mode" (if your OS has it like my XP) if it would work….
NS
Nancy_S
Feb 2, 2004
Robert,

Are you by chance trying to run this on a network?????
RC
Robert_Camacho
Feb 2, 2004
The PCs are networked but it was installed locally on a W2K machine. Everything pertaining to this program is local.
NS
Nancy_S
Feb 3, 2004
Robert,

….and if you disconnect the network everything works as it should, right?
RC
Robert_Camacho
Feb 3, 2004
Hi Nancy

I tried using the system while not connected to the network but I had the same result. However, the following is a work-around which I have tested and seems like the only solution for the moment.

I created both a local user (W2K) and a network user (Win NT domain). The local user has Power User rights while the network user has minimal rights (to allow saving to a shared network folder). When the user logs on locally they are mapped to the network folder. The local user can then open the program and save the file either locally or on the network.

My concern with security is only limited to what they can see or do on the Win NT domain. From what I have seen so far they are limited to only that networked folder and any other folders which have shared permissions for everyone. With Power User right they can mess up they local system but that’s not a big concern as that PC is only being used for the scanner and it can be reconstructed quite easily.

If you can see any flaws with this approach please let me know. Thanks for your help. Hope you are having a terrific day, bye for now.
Robert
NS
Nancy_S
Feb 4, 2004
Robert,

Wow, you got it to work!

Master Retouching Hair

Learn how to rescue details, remove flyaways, add volume, and enhance the definition of hair in any photo. We break down every tool and technique in Photoshop to get picture-perfect hair, every time.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections