Best Method of Eliminating Banding on Gradient Blends?

L
Posted By
Lovegasoline
Aug 22, 2006
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
I’m doing my first job : )

i’m working with a friend and currently I have a bunch of little charts and bars that are red-to-purple gradient blends, most are 3-6" max in either direction.
File is CMYK.

I’m making the gradient, then using the Add Noise filter…about 1%/Uniform/Monochromatic. Is this the best way to go about eliminating banding?
Any better method?
Other than going into, say the yellow channel, what’s the best way to check for banding? (I haven’t got a hard proof yet).

Thanks!

How to Master Sharpening in Photoshop

Give your photos a professional finish with sharpening in Photoshop. Learn to enhance details, create contrast, and prepare your images for print, web, and social media.

JS
John_Slate
Aug 22, 2006
If the dither option is chosen when using the gradient tool then there should be no banding
L
Lovegasoline
Aug 22, 2006
Dithering IS already selected.
JS
John_Slate
Aug 22, 2006
Then the banding is probably just on your monitor… not in print
PT
Phil_Taz
Aug 23, 2006
do a forum search on banding, it has been done many times recently with better answers
P
progress
Aug 23, 2006
dither doesnt stop banding…noise does.
L
Lovegasoline
Aug 23, 2006
Phil, thanks.. I’ll research the forum more thoroughly.

After adding Noise @ 1%/Uniform/Monochromatic, I was noticing some marginal banding whn I looked at the cyan channel. Hopefully when a halftone is thrown on top of that it will eliminate any possibility of banding appearing occuring.
PF
Peter_Figen
Aug 23, 2006
You can usually be more aggressive with the noise addition than you would believe, as it invariably is far less noticeable in print. You also have to take into account the nature of the individual channels and whether there is appropriate image content to effectively mask what’s on the cyan (in this case) channel. Adding noise to individual channels in varying amounts, but keeping it out of the highlights, especially in a CMYK document, are good ideas.
P
progress
Aug 23, 2006
5-10% isnt unknown for me to use…barely can see it even if told on most mass repro media.
PT
Phil_Taz
Aug 23, 2006
Lovegas, note the part about fade/lighten in those other discussions, stops the noise affecting the highlights.

Master Retouching Hair

Learn how to rescue details, remove flyaways, add volume, and enhance the definition of hair in any photo. We break down every tool and technique in Photoshop to get picture-perfect hair, every time.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections