Saving JPGs from Photoshop and Imageready with Metadata intact – how???

D
Posted By
Dabow
Aug 1, 2006
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
Hi,

After a good few hours of driving myself nuts trying to figure this out, desperation leads me here for the sake of my sanity:

What I am trying to do – Simple really (at least I thought) trying to batch process a number of PSD files out to a web photo gallery AND keep the image metadata intact.
The problem(s) –
‘Save As’ retains the data in the jpg, but creates a file that’s too big (+100k over a ‘Save for Web’ file with similar compression). The file, however, can be read by Fotoplayer (a plug-in for JAlbum) with all metadata intact
‘Save for Web’ strips the metadata (grrr!) but produces an acceptable size file (around 50k)

In desperation I consulted the Help files, and learned that ImageReady’s optimize does allow the metadata to be saved with the jpg AND keeps the file size to around 50k. All well and good I thought until I loaded into Fotoplayer and found no metadata apart from image description! Bridge, however, does display the metadata :s I double checked with a 3rd party EXIF reader with the following results:
‘Save As’ file – metadata present
‘Save for Web’ – no metadata, as expected
‘Optimized’ from Imageready – NO metadata (why the hell does Bridge show the info then??)

NOTE: The whole reason for me taking this approach is because I do not want to degrade image quality by having to add metadata AFTER saving the jpg. Plus Photoshop allows me to batch run the whole process.

So can someone tell me just what is going on and please please PLEASE direct me to a way of doing this? Something I expected to take me half an hour tops has now taken biggest part of a day. Thanks in advance.

Dave

MacBook Pro 16” Mockups 🔥

– in 4 materials (clay versions included)

– 12 scenes

– 48 MacBook Pro 16″ mockups

– 6000 x 4500 px

BB
by_Buko
Aug 1, 2006
I believe IR has a check box to save metadata.

Save For Web strips all metadata

save as Jpg saves metadata
D
Dabow
Aug 1, 2006
Buko – correct, but as stated the metadata from IR doesn’t appear ‘standard’ – in that other programs outside of Bridge can’t see/read it.

Master Retouching Hair

Learn how to rescue details, remove flyaways, add volume, and enhance the definition of hair in any photo. We break down every tool and technique in Photoshop to get picture-perfect hair, every time.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections