Can PhotoShop 5.5 run properly on Mac OSX?

KV
Posted By
kira_volvovsky
Jul 30, 2006
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
Will I need to buy a higher version of PhotoShop (currently 5.5) after upgrade from Macintosh OS 9 to X? Thank you.

Master Retouching Hair

Learn how to rescue details, remove flyaways, add volume, and enhance the definition of hair in any photo. We break down every tool and technique in Photoshop to get picture-perfect hair, every time.

EH
Ed_Hannigan
Jul 30, 2006
You can run 5.5 in Classic or upgrade to a current version that runs in OSX. Upgrading is cheaper than buying a new version.
BB
by_Buko
Jul 30, 2006
if you plan on getting a Mactel they don’t support classic so the answer is no.
KV
kira_volvovsky
Jul 31, 2006
thanks ed
KV
kira_volvovsky
Jul 31, 2006
am talking about Mac OS X v10.4 Tiger. company’s budjet. it’s small, so only the absolute essentials will be purchased or upgraded. 🙁
BB
by_Buko
Jul 31, 2006
am talking about Mac OS X v10.4 Tiger

Tiger runs on Mactels too.

It would be best too upgrade to the latest version (CS2).

You don’t say what computers you have.
KV
kira_volvovsky
Jul 31, 2006
G3
KV
kira_volvovsky
Jul 31, 2006
sorry. abberation

G4
BB
by_Buko
Jul 31, 2006
G4 what?

how much RAM?

how much disk space?
NK
Neil_Keller
Jul 31, 2006
kira,

Also, how do you use Photoshop? Typical file sizes?

In any case, the upgrade (by whatever means it takes) from v5.5 is worth fighting for. RAM, CPU, and hard drive space requirements are far different for creating multilayered posters or archiving large libraries of photos v preparing simple .gifs.

Neil
KV
kira_volvovsky
Aug 1, 2006
hi neil

thanks so much. all my photoshop stuff is for the web and is really light, so as far as they go 5.5 serves me perfectly. i just need to know if it will work at all on X.

really, thx for responding
kira
R
Ram
Aug 1, 2006

5.5 will NOT work in OS X. It will run under Classic software emulation running under OS X, if you stick to your G4. Machines that have an Intel chip do not have Classic, so 5.5 will be useless in the new machines.
BB
by_Buko
Aug 1, 2006
Older G4 will have trouble running OSX Tiger and most likely Leopard, because they just don’t have the horse power. That is why I asked you what machine you have. Just saying G4 means nothing.
BB
by_Buko
Aug 1, 2006
If it is an older machine you will be better off sticking with OS 9 as it will run much faster.
D
d4rkn1ght
Aug 18, 2006
in article at
wrote on 8/1/06 11:02 AM:

If it is an older machine you will be better off sticking with OS 9 as it will run much faster.

Speaking from experience, with an older G4 you get the best of OS9. I just tried to install OSX Tiger and it felt like dialup just to open a single folder.

PhotoShop 5.5 works better than 6.0 on OS9.

http://www.photoshop5tutorial.r8.org/

Master Retouching Hair

Learn how to rescue details, remove flyaways, add volume, and enhance the definition of hair in any photo. We break down every tool and technique in Photoshop to get picture-perfect hair, every time.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections