AS
Posted By
Aaron_Segall
Jul 28, 2006
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
Just yesterday PSCS2 stopped opening files of any type and from any drive. I’ve tried trashing preferences, deleting Adobefnt files and reinstalling.

Even on reinstall the problem persists. I’ve had to revert back to CS1, but am losing tremendous amount of time and productivity.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

Master Retouching Hair

Learn how to rescue details, remove flyaways, add volume, and enhance the definition of hair in any photo. We break down every tool and technique in Photoshop to get picture-perfect hair, every time.

B
Buko
Jul 28, 2006
can you open files in a new user?
BP
Ben_Pieper
Jul 28, 2006
I had this problem, and the solution was actually to download the latest version of Quicktime…. I have no idea why, but after hours on the phone with Adobe support and Mac Geniuses, that was the solution!
CC
Chris_Cox
Jul 31, 2006
It was a bug in Quicktime 7.0, fixed in a dot release of the Quicktime components.
SF
steve_ferguson
Aug 1, 2006
Aaron,
Did you resolve this issue? I’m having the same problem.

My Quicktime version is 7.1.2.
SF
steve_ferguson
Aug 22, 2006
I have a question… will an ‘Archive and Install’ fix a corrupted user account? I thought the purpose of an Archive & Install was to preserve existing user account files.
JL
JoAnn_LaForge
Aug 22, 2006
Steve
The archive and install did not fix my troubles with CS2 not opening files. What did work for 1 day was to delete all the "adobefnt" files

Do a Search for "adobefnt" and delete all that you find ˜ except for "AdobeFnt.db".

This only worked for one day the next day I could not open files again.

I finally ended up creating a new user account and CS2 has been running like new again. Setting up another user was kind of a pain but its better than not being able to use CS2.
JoAnn
R
Ram
Aug 22, 2006
Steve,

Archive and install gives you a fresh OS X while preserving your settings. It usually clears corruption that is not fixed by deleting Photoshop’s preferences.
CJ
Cindy_Johnston
Aug 22, 2006
But will it fix a corrupted user account? (I haven’t been able to save a pdf–either before or after the clean install I did a few weeks ago when I updated to 4.7 from 3.9.) I can in a new user so I was hoping an archive and install would fix it.
AS
Ann_Shelbourne
Aug 22, 2006
Sources of trouble in User Accounts may include:

Adobefnt files
Bad fonts
Bad ColorSync Profiles
Corrupt application Preferences
Corrupt Prefs in general (particularly com.apple.LaunchServices.plist)

One way to troubleshoot Pref. files is to list them by date and see what changed recently. Another possibility is to use a Shareware program called "Preferential Treatment" (although I have not tried it personally).

A more wholesale approach would be to pull the whole Users/Library/Preferences folder to the Desktop and add them back to a new User’s Prefs’ folder a few at a time.
R
Ram
Aug 23, 2006
Cindy,

But will it fix a corrupted user account?

Very often, it does.
BB
by_Buko
Aug 23, 2006
It has for me a few times which is why I suggest it.
DT
Dave_Trozzo
Aug 23, 2006
Thanks everybody! I think you solved my issue today. I started working with bridge and CS2 last week. After playing catch up and archiving massive amounts of images on dvd a problem started today when I was archiving a dvd into Extensis Portfolio 7. When the process hung up on one image I tried to open it in photoshop. It would not open and I could not open the next image on the menu either. After that nothing opened. I have deleted all the suggested files–bridge icons, adobefnt, and ALSO– deleted files from the old Photoshop CS browser. Hidden files–.DS-store– that were burned to the dvd were deleted and the dvd re-burned. So far everything now opens .jpg, .tff and .nef. I believe it could have been a conflict with the old cs browser cache and the new bridge cache when the images were burned to dvd. Just a guess but it may help. So far for me, no need for an archeive/restore osx.
SG
spike_grobstein
Aug 24, 2006
oh man! thanks!!!

This problem was affecting both Photoshop CS2 AND illustrator CS2. since this morning.

So, for the past 4 hours, I couldn’t open any files and actually had to switch to another machine to do all my work today. I had a CD in the drive with 50MB worth of Tiffs, jpegs, and PNGs (8 files, total). Ejecting the CD allowed me to open files like normal again. now I can work on the G5 instead of the [slow] G4

how could this happen? I’ve had the CD in the drive for 2 days, yet this suddenly started happening now.
CC
Chris_Cox
Aug 24, 2006
Did you have Bridge running in the background?

Do you have any other utilities that might be looking at the CD or DVD drive?
DT
Dave_Trozzo
Aug 25, 2006
Back again, spinning beach ball! And I thought I was finished my beach vacation. I had extensis running–looking at a dvd in the background, bridge was cache-ing a folder on a second drive. I thought I could save some time**** and open an image in photoshop from bridge. The image opened. I did my work, and walla– it would not save! Spinning beach ballin PS! And nothing will open again!

Once I eject the dvd, everything is fine. Insert the dvd again and try to open in cs2–spinning beach ball! This dvd was re-burned after my experience above.

I will try more advise listed above. Thanks!
BB
by_Buko
Aug 25, 2006
are you opening from the DVD?
DT
Dave_Trozzo
Aug 25, 2006
Thanks Buko,

No, not opening from the dvd, opening from a folder on a hard drive that Bridge was reading.
K
Koriina
Aug 25, 2006
I can open images by exporting them through ImageReady, but though I’ve tried everything mentioned here, I can’t seem to get the images to open directly in photoshop. I don’t have anything in my CD drive, and haven’t for a few weeks, and I haven’t installed anything new in the past few weeks. Does anyone have any suggestions?
BB
by_Buko
Aug 25, 2006
trash your prefs?
K
Koriina
Aug 25, 2006
Tried that. Didn’t work.
R
Ram
Aug 25, 2006
Are you by any chance running Tiger? If so, do you have any Epson printers installed in your printer list?

Or any other printer in that list that is no longer connected to the computer?

What else have you tried?
BB
by_Buko
Aug 26, 2006
does it work in a new user?
JW
Jackie_Whitt
Sep 5, 2006
I can not open any file with Photoshop CS2. The application crashes when I open a file. I have tride everything, trashing prefs, plist, reinstalling, repairing premissions. Nothing works. So I’m stuck using CS1. Doesent anybody from Adobe read these posts? It seems to be a problem many users are haveing and should be addressed by Adobe.
AS
Ann_Shelbourne
Sep 5, 2006
Jackie:

These are User to User Forums. If you want Adobe Tech Support, you need to telephone them with your credit card in hand.

Meanwhile, have you tried some of the suggestions made in other threads? Such as the thread immediately below yours:
<http://www.adobeforums.com/cgi-bin/webx/.3bc17e29/11>

You may also have a conflict with a scanner driver. Try disabling Photoshop’s TWAIN plug-in by putting a Tilde in front of its name (~TWAIN) and doing all scanning from outside of Photoshop using your Scanner software in stand alone mode.
JW
Jackie_Whitt
Sep 5, 2006
Ann, thanks.

OK. I got Photoshop CS 2 to run again by the following method:

1. I created a new account and logged into the account.

2. I launched Photoshop and opened a file to confirm that Photoshop was now working. It did open my file.

3. I made a new folder on my start up drive named PREFStest

4. I opened preferences folder (users/Library/preferences) and copied the following folders and files into the new PREFStest folder; the folder “Adobe” the folder “Adobe Photoshop CS2 Settings”, the folder “EPSON” (I have an Epson scanner), the files; com.adobe.alm.adobelmbundle.plist, com.adobe.mediabrowser.plist, com.adobe.Photoshop.plist, and “QuickTime Preferences.

5. I then logged out of the new account, and into my original account.

6. I opened preferences folder (users/Library/preferences) and dragged the files and folders listed above to the trash, and copied the files from my new PREFStest folder into the preferences folder

7. I opened Disk Utility and fixed permissions on the start up drive.

8. I then restarted the computer, and opened Photoshop CS2, and opened my file. It worked!

I don’t know it this will work for everyone but it is worth a try.
AS
Ann_Shelbourne
Sep 5, 2006
Well you were fortunate because the Prefs that you copied were obviously not corrupt.

But they might well have been — and copying those particular ones would have put the trouble right back into the new Account.

It would have been safer to have re-set NEW Prefs for Photoshop from inside Photoshop.
JW
Jackie_Whitt
Sep 5, 2006
Ann,
I copied the preference files from the new account to my original account, then I was able to use my original account with Photoshop now functioning. I assume somehow creating the new account created new preference files.
AS
Ann_Shelbourne
Sep 5, 2006
Sorry, I misunderstood what you had done and mistakenly thought that you had copied your old Prefs from your original Account into the new one — and then back again!

Anyway, I’m glad that you got it to work.
B
Buko
Sep 5, 2006
Jackie, What you did should be effectively the same as trashing prefs.

Nice trick if it works most the time.
JW
Jackie_Whitt
Sep 5, 2006
Buko,
You would think it would be effectively the same as trashing prefs, but I tried trashing the prefs and had no luck. Although I did not trash the Quicktime prefs or the Epson folder before, so maybe that’s the trick.
SF
steve_ferguson
Sep 11, 2006
Jackie,
Thank you so much for your solution. It worked for me too! I had even done a complete Archive & Install of OSX, re-installed Photoshop, trashed the prefs, etc… with no luck.

I didn’t copy the Quicktime or Epson prefs as you suggested in your fix, but it still worked. So it must have been the Adobe folder, CS2 Settings folder or one of the other (com.adobe.alm.adobelmbundle.plist, com.adobe.mediabrowser.plist, com.adobe.Photoshop.plist) files.

Thanks again!
JW
Jackie_Whitt
Sep 12, 2006
Steve,
Glad it worked for you. I saw that people were fixing the problem by creating a new user account, and that gave me the idea to swap the new account prefs with the old. It’s a mystery to me why just trashing the prefs did not work, without having to go through a new user account.

Jackie Whitt
EJ
Emma_J
Oct 3, 2006
Just wanted to say thanks Gus for post #7, this was exactly the prob I was having. No files would open w/PS. I had a DVD in my drive. I ejcted it and eveything works fine.

Must-have mockup pack for every graphic designer 🔥🔥🔥

Easy-to-use drag-n-drop Photoshop scene creator with more than 2800 items.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections