MC
Posted By
Michael Camarra
Jul 24, 2006
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
I’ve got a TIFF that has a butterfly with a drop shadow that needs to appear on top of a background of PMS 8001 C in Photoshop CS2. I have knocked out the butterfly from the spot channel so it shows through, but I am at a loss of how to set up the black dropshadow to print on top of the PMS background. I set the effects layer and the drop shadow to multiply which works fine when it gets placed and printed through Indesign (I’ve heard that photoshop knocks out underlying colors when it prints, whereas you can overprint in Indesign). However, the file is being placed in Quark 7. In Quark 7, the TIFF comes up fine except it doesn’t display the PMS background. Any suggestions for making this dropshadow appear over the spot channel?

Mike

How to Improve Photoshop Performance

Learn how to optimize Photoshop for maximum speed, troubleshoot common issues, and keep your projects organized so that you can work faster than ever before!

MO
Mike_Ornellas
Jul 24, 2006
Place a Photoshop PDF.
KN
Ken_Nielsen
Jul 24, 2006
That’ll be $5.
JS
John_Slate
Jul 25, 2006
File formats aside, the channels palette tells the whole story, that or the Separation Preview in InDesign.

There is no overprint command in Photoshop.

You have done right to multiply the shadow.

PS: The spot color isn’t a metallic is it?

PPS: I hope to get 35 cents from that 5 bucks <g>
ML
Mark_Larsen
Jul 25, 2006
Have not got Quark 7 but when playing with the beta version spot colour channels came through as alpha masks when saved in tiff format. A lot of work has been done to make the psd import filter deviceN have you tried it out? I think the tiff format has been overlooked in favor of the psd
MH
Michael_Horne
Aug 2, 2006
As long as you have the hole in the spot color for the butterfly and the drop shadow is there (under the spot in Photoshop) you have what you want. Place it in Quark and output a pre-separated laser – if everything is there you have accomplished your goal. The pressman will probably lay the spot color down early in the plate rotation and the shadow will print "over" the spot color.

How to Improve Photoshop Performance

Learn how to optimize Photoshop for maximum speed, troubleshoot common issues, and keep your projects organized so that you can work faster than ever before!

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections