Image window gets stuck behind toolbars!

PS
Posted By
Petra Starke
Aug 5, 2003
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
Hey I am requoting a post I found in the archive on this topic, as the answers provided there didn’t do diddly squat to help me and I’m hoping someone else can answer the question:

"I have a problem with PS7 that is kind of irritating although not job stopping. From time to time the Image Window Title bar will end up underneath the toolbar. This results in my not being to see the top ruler or use the bottom scroll bar because they just aren’t there. The only way to fix this is to un-dock the toolbar then re-dock it, or zoom the image to ‘fit on screen’. Even tiling the windows doesn’t work.

I don’t have the 7.0.1 update yet. Will that help? I have experienced this situation on several different configurations of computers but could find no mentiion of it in more than 500 posts in the forum. Could I really be the only guy having this problem? If not, how do I fix it?"

MacBook Pro 16” Mockups 🔥

– in 4 materials (clay versions included)

– 12 scenes

– 48 MacBook Pro 16″ mockups

– 6000 x 4500 px

Y
YrbkMgr
Aug 5, 2003
Click on the magnifying glass. In the options bar make sure that Resize Window to fit is checked. Double click on the Hand Tool. All is good now.
DN
Doug Nelson
Aug 5, 2003
It is an annoying problem, and I’ve yet to see a solution for it, but on my system you can just hit ‘tab’ twice to fix it.

http://www.retouchpro.com
DM
dave milbut
Aug 5, 2003
Well those ARE solutions. I think Doug meant a fix, as in the windows don’t get in that state in the first place. 🙂
CW
Colin Walls
Aug 5, 2003
Petra

What do you mean by "The only way to fix this is to un-dock the toolbar then re-dock it"? Do you just mean let it snap to the very corner of the screen?

If so, then this is the cause of the problem. PS has a "quirk" [might be a "feature"], which means that, when arranging the windows, it tries fit them all in without overlapping. However, if the toolbar is right flush against the side of the screen, it ignores it. The trick is to keep the toolbar just a tiny bit off from the edge [just a pixel or 2 will do].

You can test this using ctrl-0. With the tiny space there, your image will fit neatly; without, it will hide under the tools.
Y
YrbkMgr
Aug 5, 2003
I have to apologize to everyone. I’m such an idiot. It wasn’t until Colins post that I genuinely understood the problem. I guess I didn’t read the original post well enough.

Jeeze, I’m sorry for being such a snot. I thought the issue was that the title bar of the image window got snagged up underneath that of the Program Title Bar.

It was the tool bar. Man I’m an idiot sometimes.

Sorry folks.
P
Phosphor
Aug 5, 2003
That’s ok, I was just about to explain to you that as far as I could work out it wasn’t anything that I was doing that moves the windows under there. 🙂 I use the "two tabs" method to move them back, but beware, if you have any documents open but minimised at the bottom of the Photoshop window then they will end up hidden below the status bar after the "two tab".
DM
dave milbut
Aug 5, 2003
fwiw, i’ve also seen minimized windows sneak themselves under the status bar… 🙂 hapeened just yesterday. i had gone into ps in my 1280 workspace where all palettes are laid out to work in 1280×1024. being in 800×600 at the time, i wanted that layout. i had a couple of images minimized and the ps app itself maximized. i switched to my 800×600 desktop and when it redrew, my minimized files snuck under the status bar.
CW
Colin Walls
Aug 5, 2003
Petra

You said "So basically no one has an answer to this problem then?"

I gave you an answer.
I also asked you a question, which you failed to answer.
P
Phosphor
Aug 5, 2003
Colin, I hope I’m not being presumptuous here but I can answer that question for you- no, that’s not what’s happening. But the ctrl+0 shortcut is cool, I must remember that! When I use the ctrl+0 thing, the window behaves normally and resizes to within the toolbar and toolboxes.
What’s happening is that the top of the image window is sometimes getting automatically moved underneath the toolbar. It’s something that has happened every now and then when I minimise/maximise Photoshop. Why they’re moving under there I don’t know. Unlike Dave I don’t change my monitor resoltion, although that might be a clue as to what’s going on. Perhaps Petra and myself can swap system specs, see if we have anything in common?
CW
Colin Walls
Aug 5, 2003
Helen

I am confused by the use of the term "toolbar" – I think you are actually referring to the options bar along the top.

BTW, IMHP the CTRL/0 shortcut is invaluable, along with it’s "companions" CTRL/ALT/0, CTRL/- and CTRL/+
Y
YrbkMgr
Aug 5, 2003
Well if it’s under the options bar, just make sure resize window to fit is checked, double click the hand tool (fit on screen). Comes right back.
P
Phosphor
Aug 6, 2003
I find tabbing twice quicker, but hey, that’s just me 🙂

MacBook Pro 16” Mockups 🔥

– in 4 materials (clay versions included)

– 12 scenes

– 48 MacBook Pro 16″ mockups

– 6000 x 4500 px

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections