SL
Posted By
Shirley_Liu
Jul 22, 2006
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
need to load a layer consist of illustrated highlights onto a spot channel, but when either using the select/load selection feature or command-clicking the layer, only the more opaque pixels are selected, leaving out the semi transparent ones. locking the transparent pixels does not work- then everything is locked. is there a way to select all the highlights (in photoshop CS)?

any help is greatly appreciated. thanks! shirley

How to Master Sharpening in Photoshop

Give your photos a professional finish with sharpening in Photoshop. Learn to enhance details, create contrast, and prepare your images for print, web, and social media.

EH
Ed_Hannigan
Jul 22, 2006
Are you sure they are not selected? Or are the selection edges (Marching Ants) just not visible? Did you make a channel? If so, what did it show or not show?
CN
Cybernetic Nomad
Jul 22, 2006
And remember, the marching ants show the 50% demarcation between selected and unselected pixels. that measn pixels that are less than 50% selected are outside of them.

To really view your selection, use Quickmasks
SL
Shirley_Liu
Jul 23, 2006
yes! you’re both right. all the highlights did copy over (regardless of selection edges) but it’s not as bright as the original so i didn’t see parts of it. i tried using levels and curves to brighten it which didn’t help. any idea on how to fix this? thanks so much!
B
Buko
Jul 23, 2006
Put a whire background layer behind the selection layer and it will look normal
SL
Shirley_Liu
Jul 23, 2006
think i’ve got it! thanks for all of your help.
CN
Cybernetic Nomad
Jul 23, 2006
You know, thinking back on this, (and now that I’m in front of a machine with PS)…

….you may be better off doing a select all (or selecting a larger area with the marquis, or duplicating the layer) rather than selecting by command-clicking on the layer, since the transparent pixels will only be partly selected, they’ll be even more transparent once you paste.

It’ll be worth it to try out
EH
Ed_Hannigan
Jul 23, 2006
Is that the Marquis de Sade?
CN
Cybernetic Nomad
Jul 23, 2006
Aaahhh, my gallic roots betray me.

It’s the Marquee the Sade of course…<g>

How to Master Sharpening in Photoshop

Give your photos a professional finish with sharpening in Photoshop. Learn to enhance details, create contrast, and prepare your images for print, web, and social media.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections