Delete Multiple Paths?? – my hand is cramping!!

ME
Posted By
Marc_Elkin
Jul 20, 2006
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
I suggest the following…
I do alot of photo retouching.

I create ALL the paths on ONE path file. Meaning ALL my clipping paths are saved as one giant path.

Then if I need to delete any, you just use the solid arrow path tool to click on each path. Hold down the shift key to select each path, then simply hit the delet key. Boom, its gone and done!

Let me know how this worked for you.

How to Master Sharpening in Photoshop

Give your photos a professional finish with sharpening in Photoshop. Learn to enhance details, create contrast, and prepare your images for print, web, and social media.

EH
Ed_Hannigan
Jul 20, 2006
I think he’s talking about existing paths in existing files from other people. So your solution, though elegant, would be just as much work.
NF
neal_fane
Jul 24, 2006
Simple workaround: Select All. Copy merged. Open: New. Paste. Flatten image. Now if you need the clipping path from the orig file, just copy/paste. Yes, "shift select multiple paths" would be the elegant way to remove paths. But there usually is a workaround in PS. Doing it this way also reduces likelyhood of overwriting your orig file w/out paths.

& even a scripting idiot like me can create an Action for the first 4 commands above.
EH
Ed_Hannigan
Jul 25, 2006
I like it. It would be great if you could Batch it as well, but I think pasting in unique Clipping Paths would be a problem.
JS
John_Slate
Jul 25, 2006
So how much file space is taken up by the extra non-clipping-path paths?

Is it that important to get rid of them?

I don’t think you have to worry about the wrong path getting used… not with the EPS file format.

In a test I did involving paths with over 1400 points (no bezier curves) each path of this size increased file size by .1MB
JL
jann_lipka
Jul 25, 2006
There is a simple java script for this on Adobe Studio Exchange for doing this .

I use a lot of paths, so it makes my life really easier.

delete paths by Sean Robertsson .

I use it all the time, and in fact it is easy to make a droplet that makes in batch something like that :

( if you are somewhat consistent on using for example "Path 1" as a clipping path ) copy Path 1, remove ALL paths , paste Path 1, and make Path 1 a clipping path .

If you want to make clipping path on some random Path name , you have to copy just that path , remove all paths using the script and paste / make as Clipping path by hand .
Neals workaround has advantage ( disadvantage ? ) of stripping exif .

Master Retouching Hair

Learn how to rescue details, remove flyaways, add volume, and enhance the definition of hair in any photo. We break down every tool and technique in Photoshop to get picture-perfect hair, every time.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections