Z
Posted By
zoranb
Jul 19, 2006
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
I noticed that when saving eps files with jpeg encoding the file size compared to binary or ascii is reduced to outstanding rates. For example a 45mb cmyk eps file with binary encoding can be reduced to 14.5mb using jpeg compression at max quality.
Can anyone resposibly tell me the ups and downs to encode with jpeg? What am i loosing by using it? Picture quality perhaps?
And is it losless so i can change back to binary as many times as i want or isnt it?

Master Retouching Hair

Learn how to rescue details, remove flyaways, add volume, and enhance the definition of hair in any photo. We break down every tool and technique in Photoshop to get picture-perfect hair, every time.

JS
John_Slate
Jul 19, 2006
Why would you think that anything with the name "jpeg" in it would NOT be lossy?
Z
zoranb
Jul 19, 2006
Well i was hoping that it might not be lossy in picture quality but just compressing the encoding, i dont know.
My questions still stand…
1. What are the ups and downs to encode with jpeg?
2. What am i loosing by using it? Picture quality perhaps?
CN
Cybernetic Nomad
Jul 19, 2006
compressing the encoding, i dont know.

That makes no sense.

From Wiki: Encoding is the process of transforming information from one format into another.

Therefore JPEG encoding means encoding your data using JPEG compression (which is lossy) File formats other than JPEG allow this (EPS and TIFF among them)

1. What are the ups and downs to encode with jpeg?

Ups: great compression Downs: quality loss

2. What am i loosing by using it? Picture quality perhaps?

Picture quality for sure
B
Buko
Jul 19, 2006
If you are going to save an EPS with jpeg encoding you might as well save a regular Jpeg.
Z
zoranb
Jul 19, 2006
Ok thanx guys, let me just ask, the picture quality loss is it noticeable cause i print on a color laser printer and i dont see it. Is it possible that on film it will be noticeable?
B
Buko
Jul 19, 2006
the more compression the more noticeable

the more you resave the more noticeable

try using tiff with zip compression it is lossless.
Z
zoranb
Jul 19, 2006
when set to max quality is it still noticeable?

as for tif it creates bigger quark documents when u paginate a book! thats why i picked eps
C
crayola
Jul 19, 2006
when set to max quality is it still noticeable?

yes

as for tif it creates bigger quark documents when u paginate a book! thats why i picked eps

Go into the preferences in Quark and select 8 or 16 bit for display. Quark generates its own preview from tiffs and creates file overhead when saved. EPS files – Quark reads the embedded preview portion of the file format.
Z
zoranb
Jul 19, 2006
And working with 8bit display and tifs in quark is faster than with eps? Sorry for the offtopik reply im making!

How to Master Sharpening in Photoshop

Give your photos a professional finish with sharpening in Photoshop. Learn to enhance details, create contrast, and prepare your images for print, web, and social media.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections