P
Posted By
progress
Jul 18, 2006
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
I cant believe this crap gets all the way through whatever 1/2 baked testing gets done these days…

you cant select the beziers on a warp if you have switched from a distort, you can select the mesh, but the corner points and bezier points may as well not be there…every other distortion type allows it to happen, but selecting distort or making free transform distort prohibits the behaviour for some unknown reason.

Junk.

Master Retouching Hair

Learn how to rescue details, remove flyaways, add volume, and enhance the definition of hair in any photo. We break down every tool and technique in Photoshop to get picture-perfect hair, every time.

P
progress
Jul 18, 2006
and the interpolation is terrible!
MO
Mike_Ornellas
Jul 18, 2006
and the feature is not finished.
Pull your pants up and stop crying.
P
progress
Jul 19, 2006
why should i mike…i’m right in the middle of a job where this is critical and have had to swing the workflow entirely out of PS into 3d and back.

after a decade of not having the basics and even illustrator having the technology you expect me to be happy when it’s implimentation is not even ready for work?

features should hit the ground running!
DK
Doug_Katz
Jul 19, 2006
progress, it’s actually a little weirder than you make it… I guess depending on exactly what – and what shape – you’re using the Distort>Warp sequence on.

Here, if I make a rectangular selection, jump it to its own layer, then call on the transformation handles, I can first Distort, then Warp and move SOME BUT NOT ALL of the points and bezier handles. Which ones are movable and which ones aren’t surely has a logic. It defies me, but I’m sure it exists.

But my point is that SOME Warp points and handles DO move in a Distort>Warp sequence. A similar weirdness after a Perspective>Warp sequence….
S
SuperMacGuy
Jul 19, 2006
Human Software still makes Squizz, which has some neat options to distort an image. I tried it a couple years ago. It’s not polished software like KPT was, but it seems to do a decent job.
I too am a little disappointed in the warp functions. I really want to draw a shape with many bezier handles, on a ‘before’ and ‘after’ distort window and control how the morph/distort works (with more than 4 corners or the built in shapes).
MO
Mike_Ornellas
Jul 19, 2006
Progress,

There are a lot of things missing and/or don’t function correctly with respect to Smart Objects. I could hammer out a list as the sky is tall. Is Smart Objects premature in its release? Don’t know. Sometimes the foundations need to be compiled first before growth.

My feeling is that the feature was released to show whats up and coming with respect to color space transformations for retards and pixel preservation for vector/raster objects. What you are trying to do is make the feature do more and expect more relative to similar features in other current applications. The feature is a work in progress and sometimes Adobe just runs out of time or they just can’t get a specific thing to work correctly.

This is cutting edge stuff guys and extremely complicated to integrate when you think of – OK how is this going to work when dealing with transformation with styles and paths and layers with mutiple groupings. Sometimes it’s a bitch to get it to work.

Lets cut the engineers some slack – besides that – we expect that release 10 will ROCK!

shh…..
P
progress
Jul 20, 2006
Mike, I know what your saying, so i’ll back off the pedal a bit…but this sort of stuff has been around for a decade…remember Elastic Reality? If this was some new fangled technology then i’d agree, but this is really basic toolset thats been lacking since about version 2 or 3 when morphing software was downloadable on the cover of macuser….we’re talking a decade old stuff here.

In the middle of a job where your staring at another 10 bits of artwork you tend to get a little wound up when the wheels come off what you can do with ease but hassle in another app.

Ok, i’ll wait till 10…but Mike, both barrels will be loaded if it comes out of the garage firing only on 7 cylinders. I’ll cut the engineers some slack as long as they realise they are behind the curve somewhat and start making up lost ground and push beyond. A tall order when its a re-code as well, but enough is enough now.

More to the point for those that want to play…if i select a non square object, ie something with a messy outline, a logo, and command T, used distort by shortcut or by flyout, then go to warp i can only select the internal mesh and the beziers and points dont want to budge. If anyone can get that to work i’m all ears…

I think i’ll look up the new features vids again to see if they hit this concrete green zone gated roadblock or wether they work around or have designed the demo around it.
MO
Mike_Ornellas
Jul 20, 2006
Yes I remember Elastic Reality – but that was just dealing with a single color space and pixel transforms. ( simple stuff ) Smart Objects is a totally different animal because it deals with a ton of other integration issues like PDF compatibility. That in itself is an ugly subject and Adobe can’t decide what application PDF files belong to.

Again – you are looking at the feature as just a pixel editing device.

SO is way out there…..

Hey, I’ve been bit by SO’s as well. Bit so hard that if I did something like merge a Smart object inside of a Smart Object – I’d get a black page of chopped up images. Really weird stuff. Damn thing just blows up.

If you’re looking for a specific workaround – I’ll take a look at it and see if I can come up with something.

mo_at_andresensf_dot_com
P
PeterK.
Jul 20, 2006
I wish there was a "transform again" available for the warp feature. The other transforms have it, but warp does not, for some reason. It would have come in handy on a few occasions and saved me quite a bit of time.
R
Rothrock-
Jul 20, 2006
Can’t you distort, render, then warp and render again? I know it is not as smooth, but it does seem a pretty easy work around. Or is there more to it?
P
progress
Jul 20, 2006
there’s more to it than that…the distortion applied to a logo allows perspective to be lines up and the warp then acts along the lines of perspective…however if you apply the distort and then render then apply a warp the lines of distortion follow the warp grid which is now out of perspective with the image.

Its probably not obvious to someone that may have not come across perspective drawing, but not being able to distort in perspective is a cludge.

Mike, i may fill your inbox with the problem should i get 10 mins, thanks for the offer.
MO
Mike_Ornellas
Jul 20, 2006
The vanishing points are screwed up. They are aware of it.
P
progress
Jul 21, 2006
i’m not sure if we’re talking about the same problem, but if you want to act as an inbetween/filter then i’m happy and it would be appreciated.

I’ll pack off an email in the next few days when the dust settles.
WZ
Wade_Zimmerman
Jul 21, 2006
He thinks they will develop the tool to work better later, perhaps in the next version?

More likely in the after life. This is probably what you are going to get a feature and that’s the way this feature works.
MO
Mike_Ornellas
Jul 21, 2006
perhaps you don’t know anything.
WZ
Wade_Zimmerman
Jul 21, 2006
I love you too, although time will tell won’t it Mike.

😉

Master Retouching Hair

Learn how to rescue details, remove flyaways, add volume, and enhance the definition of hair in any photo. We break down every tool and technique in Photoshop to get picture-perfect hair, every time.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections