CA
Posted By
Carlo_Angelo
Jul 17, 2006
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
I recently upgraded some memory and video card on my G4, shortly after the computer would either freeze up and need to be restarted via the reset button or get kernal panics and need to be restarted. I followed apples advice of repairing permissions and verify and repair disc. Now when i start CS2 it gets the start up screen and gets as far as initializing then closes, i get a error message from OSX stating that photoshop closed/quit unexpectadly and no OSX functions were affected. It will do this 2 to 3 times in a row then it will finally be okay till i get really involved in a project then close again. prior to the verify/repair permissions and disk all was well with CS2. the verify and repair cited some illegal names and some permissions were incorrect but not by much just a space or dash in the wrong spot. i am at a loss on what to do. i have concidered wiping my HD to zero’s and reinstalling everything from scratch but there are way too many files stored on my HD that i can not loose and i do not have the time to burn everything to a disk, any suggestions?? Please!! it’s frustrating especially with deadlines to be working and loose everything when CS2 decides to quit.

Must-have mockup pack for every graphic designer 🔥🔥🔥

Easy-to-use drag-n-drop Photoshop scene creator with more than 2800 items.

GB
g_ballard
Jul 17, 2006
I would remove the ram FIRST

If that’s not it, swap back the working video card

and get back to work

(you apparently added bad hardware)
CA
Carlo_Angelo
Jul 17, 2006
tested all the ram and it test’s good. Just got as kernal panic as i was typing this and safari closed. then had to restart. ran Tiger Casche cleaner and did a deep cleaning, CS2 seems to be okay but version cue would not turn on till i restarted 3 times then it was ok. just got a greyis screen kernal panic telling me to restart computer. seems to be acting worse in the warm weather. it is 90 degrees in my office today, A/C is off for the weekend. maybe a heat issue? i am running with side door open and a fan on it but still shutting down.will try with old graphics card but this one is BN from ATI Radeon, not a flashed one but a BNIB retail 9800 pro mac edition.my comp meets all the requirements of the card also.
GB
g_ballard
Jul 17, 2006
like I said, you appear to have added bad hardware since the problem occured right after

take my earlier advice, remove the ram…

if you are running with the side door open in 90 degree heat – you may have fried your logic board (what were you thinking?)
CA
Carlo_Angelo
Jul 17, 2006
90 degree heat!!! its summer time what do you expect? don’t run a mac in the summertime? even the apple tech laughed at that one. There are plenty of households that buy macs and do not have A/C. if running a mac in 90 degree heat will fry the logic board then there is a problem right there with mfgring. i have tested all my ram and hdwr in another mac and no problems, unless the logic boards are fried in them too cause all 3 are in 90 degree heat!
R
Ram
Jul 17, 2006
90º is 5º below the maximum operating temperature of 95º for a G4 Quicksilver, for instance.

G4 specs on the Apple site, CLICK HERE. < http://support.apple.com/specs/powermac/Power_Mac_G4_Quicksi lver_2002.html>

Where you might run into problems is if your estimate of the temperature in your office is just a tad off, say by 7% or more.
GB
g_ballard
Jul 17, 2006
operating WITH THE CASE OPENED, as you said earlier, which was my point if you missed it.

i have tested all my ram

from here that is really meaningless…sorry

MacBook Pro 16” Mockups 🔥

– in 4 materials (clay versions included)

– 12 scenes

– 48 MacBook Pro 16″ mockups

– 6000 x 4500 px

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections