CK
Posted By
Charles Karnes
Aug 4, 2003
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
I’ve just installed PS 7 on my new XP computer. Neither 7.01 nor version 6.0 will run. In 7, I get two messages:
1. Unable to load Photoshop’s interface font. Instead, using substitute font……We strongly suggest that you reboot the system and launch Photoshop again.
2. Could not complete your request (to launch) because certain required files were not found in the Adobe Photoshop 7.0 Required folder. Please reinstall Photoshop to restore these files.
I rebooted and reinstalled PS and get the same messages. Now what?

Must-have mockup pack for every graphic designer 🔥🔥🔥

Easy-to-use drag-n-drop Photoshop scene creator with more than 2800 items.

Y
YrbkMgr
Aug 4, 2003
Try resetting your preferences per the procedure in the faq.
DM
dave milbut
Aug 4, 2003
uninstall photoshop then reinstall

the prefs aren’t created until the 1st successful launch
MH
Mark Hiers
Aug 4, 2003
How many fonts do you have installed?
CK
Charles Karnes
Aug 5, 2003
Dave,
I did just that…many times, while varying the timing. If I pressed the <shift><control><alt> keys even an imperceptable amount of time after double clicking on the icon, I got the error messages. I was never given the opportunity to delete my preferences. If I pressed the three keys immediately before I double clicked the icon, I got the window that allowed me to set the Compatibabily Mode, the same as right-clicking on the icon.

However, just now, after uninstalling and reinstalling PS 7 for the fifth time, this time it runs just fine. I’m not aware that I did anything different this time. I have now downloaded the version 7.01 Update. All is still cool.

I have only a PhD in engineering, but I guess it’s not sufficient to understand what’s going on with this installation. Oh, well, I’ll just accept it….for now…. and ponder it. Thanks for all the help.

Charles
C
cath
Aug 5, 2003
The answer for why all of a sudden Photoshop worked –as with a lot of computer things–it’s a mystery. I have two desktops at home and all of a sudden I couldn’t connect to the internet anymore with one of them. I tried everything. So I just ignored it and used my other computers for connection to the web. Then, all of a sudden two weeks ago (after 3 months) it started working again – like nothing was ever wrong. What’s that all about? It’s a mystery. That’s my answer for all things that correct themselves where computers are concerned.
DM
dave milbut
Aug 5, 2003
I’ve just installed PS 7 on my new XP computer. Neither 7.01 nor version
6.0 will run. In 7, I get two messages:

if it’s never been run succesfully, there’s no prefrence file to delete. since you say you’ve tried uninstall/reinstall, i’d try this…

uninstall all instances of photoshop. remove the directory structures associated with them. clear out any temp directories and files. run scandisk. defragment the drive. get a registry cleaning utility and use it to clear out adobe and photoshop from the registry. reinstall ps 7 only.

you should be fine.
JB
James Burton
Aug 5, 2003
Charles – you’ve got PS 7 running under Win XP finally. Me too…however, would you please try the crop tool – I am not alone on this forum in observing a very un-normal behaviour as concerns the bounding box – there is no central grab handle and thus cannot be resized depthways – you too??
CK
Charles Karnes
Aug 5, 2003
James,
What I have in the center of the cropped area is a small circle with vertical and horizontal lines protruding from the top and bottom. It’s been a while since I’ve used PS, so I don’t remember what it’s supposed to have in the center of a to-be-cropped region. When I grab the central circle, I can move it, but it doesn’t do anything to the image. Is that what your’s is doing, too?
Charles
L
LenHewitt
Aug 6, 2003
Charles,

What you are describing is the "centre of rotation". Were you to rotate the crop area it would rotate about that centre marking.
CK
Charles Karnes
Aug 6, 2003
Len,
That’s what it does, but I don’t know what James means when he says "there is no central grab handle and thus cannot be resized depthways."

Charles

How to Improve Photoshop Performance

Learn how to optimize Photoshop for maximum speed, troubleshoot common issues, and keep your projects organized so that you can work faster than ever before!

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections