Hard drive crash corrupting photos: What is a DHT JPEG JPEG SOS marker?

Posted By
Dec 22, 2005
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
I had what seems to have been a logical hard drive crash. I got a recovery firm to recover what it could from the drive and put the files on CD. Now, numerous of my photos which were JPG files in certain directories now show up in Windows Explorer all jumbled up and as PSD files. Explorer can’t obviously open them as thumbnails. In those directories, some photos show and open normally, some don’t

When I try to open the ones which don’t in Photoshop. I get the error message "could not open . . . because a SOFn, DQT, or DHT JPEG marker is missing before a JPEG SOS marker"

Is there any way of repairing these files or hopefully of repairing them all at once?

I have both a Windows computer as well as a (slightly non working) Mac.

MacBook Pro 16” Mockups 🔥

– in 4 materials (clay versions included)

– 12 scenes

– 48 MacBook Pro 16″ mockups

– 6000 x 4500 px

P
philo
Dec 22, 2005
"news.rcn.com" <news.rnc.com> wrote in message
I had what seems to have been a logical hard drive crash. I got a recovery firm to recover what it could from the drive and put the files on CD. Now, numerous of my photos which were JPG files in certain directories now show up in Windows Explorer all jumbled up and as PSD files. Explorer can’t obviously open them as thumbnails. In those directories, some photos show and open normally, some don’t

When I try to open the ones which don’t in Photoshop. I get the error message "could not open . . . because a SOFn, DQT, or DHT JPEG marker is missing before a JPEG SOS marker"

Is there any way of repairing these files or hopefully of repairing them all at once?

The chances of recovering the files is quite small…
you’d need to use a hex editor and manually attempt to repair each one… by grafting in the appropriat code from a "good" file.

It’s pretty much something for an extreme expert..and even then… the chances of getting anything out of it are rather small.

In the future…be sure to backup your work!!!!!!!
Dec 22, 2005
You are right but surely someone has written a piece of software somewhere which does this?? The appropriate code from a "good" file has to be the same in all instances for a JPG file? (unless the real point is that as you say, "the chances of getting anything out of it are rather small")

I ask because files do sometimes disappear: I once found an easily available plug-in for Photoshop 7 which I installed in Photoshop 6 from Italy called something like "Removi Occhiale Rossi" which was great at quickly and easily removing red eye. When I came to install 7 (and CS in my Mac) it had disappeared from the internet completely! (Someone tell me I am wrong on this please!!)

you’d need to use a hex editor and manually attempt to repair each one… by grafting in the appropriat code from a "good" file.
It’s pretty much something for an extreme expert..and even then… the chances of getting anything out of it are rather small.
In the future…be sure to backup your work!!!!!!!
P
philo
Dec 22, 2005
"news.rcn.com" <news.rnc.com> wrote in message
You are right but surely someone has written a piece of software somewhere which does this?? The appropriate code from a "good" file has to be the same in all instances for a JPG file? (unless the real point is that as you say, "the chances of getting anything out of it are rather small")

<snip>

the problem is that when a file gets truncated in the case of a harddrive crash…
it’s not likely any two files will be truncated in exactly the same way…

also…
the fact that you had sent the drive out …and had the files written to (presumably) a cd or dvd
has made it even more difficult. you should contact the data recovery outfit and see if they still
have an image of the original sector map. that would actually be more valuable than having the
"repaired" files.

and finally…
in one occasion when i was attempting a data recovery from a failing drive…
i copied all the data over to another drive. ***Both drives were NTFS***

even though *some* of the data was corrupted…
after a few days…much of the corrupted data became uncorrupted . truthfully i do not know enough about NTFS’s journal recovery system to know why
it happened…but the photographer who lost the data is not complaining!
DR
Data Recovery Expert
Dec 24, 2005
see the Data Recovery people, they are expert in the Data Recovery.

http://www.datadoctor.biz
DR
Data Recovery Expert
Dec 24, 2005

DR
Data Recovery Expert
Dec 24, 2005
see this i am 100% sure this is useful for you

Dec 28, 2005
There is nothing specific on this on that site whatsoever and no indication that they have anything on this problem at all?

"Data Recovery Expert" wrote in message

Master Retouching Hair

Learn how to rescue details, remove flyaways, add volume, and enhance the definition of hair in any photo. We break down every tool and technique in Photoshop to get picture-perfect hair, every time.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections