Posted By
Nancy_DuBro
Sep 4, 2006
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
Using Windows XP, Photoshop.cs
I use Photoshop to edit scans that I make on my Dell AIO printer. I need to save the scans in jpeg format to post pics on my website. I follow the Photoshop instructions "To save a file in JPEG format: Choose File > Save As and choose JPEG from the Format menu. In the JPEG Options dialog box, select the options you want, and click OK." It looks like they are save in jpeg.
However, when I look in the folder where the pics are saved, they show format type "JascPaintShopPhotoAlbumImage" instead of the jpeg format I chose to save them in.

Jasc Paint Shop is something that came on my new computer. I’ve tried removing the program, but even that doesn’t work. I can’t get rid of Jasc and I can’t save in ordinary jpeg format from Adobe Photoshop.

Does anyone know how to fix my problem. Warning: I am a novice so please use simple English in your reply. Thanks.
Nancy DuBro

Must-have mockup pack for every graphic designer 🔥🔥🔥

Easy-to-use drag-n-drop Photoshop scene creator with more than 2800 items.

AC
Art Campbell
Sep 4, 2006
Right click on one of the file icons.
Select Properties.
On the General tab, where it says Opens With, click Change. Highlight Photoshop.
Under the list of programs, activate the checkbox for Always Use … Click OK.

Art
C
chrisjbirchall
Sep 4, 2006
First try deleting your preferences file (details in the FAQs) as a corrupt Prefs can often cause strange things to happen.

The other thing you could do, of course, is use "Save For Web" instead of "Save As". This applet is designed to optimize jpegs for web use.

Hope this helps.

Chris.
Y
YrbkMgr
Sep 4, 2006
Chris,

FYI, as Art points out, it’s his associations – they’re JPG, it’s just that they are set to automatically open with Paint Shop Pro.
S
stevent
Sep 4, 2006
It probably IS a jpeg; I would imagine that Jasc has hijacked the description of the jpeg file extension ‘JascPaintShopPhotoAlbumImage’, not the file itself.

To make sure

uncheck ‘Hide extensions for known file types’ in Control Panel – Folder Options – View.

The file should have a .jpg or .jpeg extension.
Y
YrbkMgr
Sep 4, 2006
sigh.
C
chrisjbirchall
Sep 5, 2006
sigh.

Heh. Well Art was typing his post at the same time I was typing mine.

Steven’s excuse? C’mon Tony, first rule of the forum is: "nobody ever reads post #1" 😉
JJ
John Joslin
Sep 5, 2006
Hmmmm!
C
chrisjbirchall
Sep 5, 2006
John? What are you doing up this time of night?

Come to think of it – what am I doing up!
JJ
John Joslin
Sep 5, 2006
Good question 😉
S
stevent
Sep 5, 2006
Just clarifying for the poster.

Of course, if he follows advice all jpegs will open Photoshop now, rather than the default viewer!
J
jim-norris
Sep 5, 2006
wrote in message
Using Windows XP, Photoshop.cs
I use Photoshop to edit scans that I make on my Dell AIO printer. I need to save the scans in jpeg format to post pics on my website. I follow the Photoshop instructions "To save a file in JPEG format: Choose File > Save As and choose JPEG from the Format menu. In the JPEG Options dialog box, select the options you want, and click OK." It looks like they are save in jpeg.
However, when I look in the folder where the pics are saved, they show format type "JascPaintShopPhotoAlbumImage" instead of the jpeg format I chose to save them in.

Jasc Paint Shop is something that came on my new computer. I’ve tried removing the program, but even that doesn’t work. I can’t get rid of Jasc and I can’t save in ordinary jpeg format from Adobe Photoshop.
Does anyone know how to fix my problem. Warning: I am a novice so please use simple English in your reply. Thanks.
Nancy DuBro
It is a file association problem. In essence, the installation of Paint Shop Pro caused the string "JascPaintShopPhotoAlbumImage" to be reported by XP whenever a JPEG file is seen in a folder. This string is just a label. To change the string to something more meaningful requires make changes through the folder options. Help & Support has an extensive discussion of revising file associations, and that is where you should look for help.

FYI, my Dell came with PSP, and XP reported the same thing. I struggled for some time with the folder options before I finally got the identification string OK. As I recall, I removed the file associations for jpg and recreated them.

Just because it says that string does not mean that files are still jpeg.

Jim
JS
John_Slate
Sep 5, 2006
Of course, if he follows advice all jpegs will open Photoshop now, rather than the default viewer!

If Nancy is a he, he has more problems than what program opens his Jpegs!
S
stevent
Sep 5, 2006
Well…

apologies Nancy, this isn’t a reflection of your good self!
Y
YrbkMgr
Sep 5, 2006
C’mon Tony, first rule of the forum is: "nobody ever reads post #1"

I know. I had too much sugar today…
M
MoonPoint
Sep 24, 2006
Thanks for the suggestion about deleting the preferences file, Chris.

It seems that Jane’s issue was likely caused by a confusion as to how Windows handles file associations and that others’ suggestions about resetting the file association for JPG files or having her system display the extension would address her concern. However, my wife was having a problem where Photoshop was actually saving files in the wrong format.

Whenever she used "Save As" to attempt to save a file in JPG format, Photoshop would still save it as a Photoshop PSD file, even though she was selecting the JPG format from the format list. But "Save For Web" would produce a file in the correct format.

I didn’t have the problem when I installed the software on a second system. I tried reinstalling Photoshop twice on the problem system. Even though I opted not to keep the preferences when I uninstalled the program, I still found the same problem with Photoshop being unable to save in any format but PSD when I reinstalled it.

You suggestion about deleting the preferences gave me the clue I needed to fix the problem. Deleting just the "Adobe Photoshop CS2 Prefs.psp" file didn’t fix the problem, but when I held down the Ctrl, Alt, and Shift keys while starting the program to force it to reset all of its settings I was able to resolve the problem.

I’ve posted information on my travails in dealing with the problem at < http://support.moonpoint.com/os/windows/software/graphics/ad obe/photoshop/photoshop-saveas-problem/> for anyone who might encounter a similar problem.

Jim
W
woodshop55960
Sep 24, 2006
Thanks! this worked for me. Bill

Master Retouching Hair

Learn how to rescue details, remove flyaways, add volume, and enhance the definition of hair in any photo. We break down every tool and technique in Photoshop to get picture-perfect hair, every time.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections