Posted By
chris_j_wild
Sep 4, 2006
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
CS2: WindowsXP sp2: 2gb ram

I am having a problem with CS2 and memory management.

I use photoshop for automated image generation using scripting, and on CS2 after x iterations it will fail. I have only recently upgraded to CS2 from Photoshop 7, and PS7 does not have the same problem.

I have localized the problem down to the memory increase after loading an image. If I remove the scripting from the equation and just load PSD’s and close them, the memory creeps up… all memory is freed upon closing Photoshop.

Now, I understand that PS does not release memory immediatley but will head towards it’s maximum usage, and thus task manager memory usage can be misleading. However, setting the cache to 1 and the memory usage to 100mb on my 2gb machine… PS just smashes through that upper boundary and will keep on going until all memory is consumed and the machine becomes very unresponsive. Memory is only increasing with a PSD load.

I have tried re-installing, I have removed all the fonts from my system except standard windowsxp installed ones, turned font preview off, and tried PS on 3 other machines including a fresh OS install… all the same.

Any thoughts would be appreciated…

MacBook Pro 16” Mockups 🔥

– in 4 materials (clay versions included)

– 12 scenes

– 48 MacBook Pro 16″ mockups

– 6000 x 4500 px

C
chrisjbirchall
Sep 4, 2006
<http://www.adobe.com/support/techdocs/320005.html> will tell you all about Photoshop’s, somewhat unique, way of handling memory.

More that likely you need to do some "tweeking" of your system. Myself and others here will be please to help. But first, could you post a little more about your set-up. System specs. PS memory allocation, scratch space etc.

Chris.
CJ
chris_j_wild
Sep 5, 2006
Thanks Chris.

That document seems to cover "optimal performance" whereas I am just after continual performance. I suspect there may be something on my machine that causes PS to overrun its memory boundaries, I just find it odd that this is the same on 3 machines.

From memory, as I’m in the office right now. P4 2.x ghz, 2gb ram, 80gb HD. WindowsXP sp2, Photoshop CS2 9.02. Scratch disk is on the 1 logical disk therefore sharing with OS swap space. PS Cache down to 1, PS memory Allocation down to 100mb. I will post a fuller spec later if required.

Again, PS7 does not have this problem.

Chris

How to Improve Photoshop Performance

Learn how to optimize Photoshop for maximum speed, troubleshoot common issues, and keep your projects organized so that you can work faster than ever before!

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections