MB
Posted By
Marco_Bruti
Sep 3, 2006
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
howdy chris, thanks for your idea. I do not think this is my case though. I have observed bridge to be very slow some times but in this case the files it believes unwritable stay that way forever or until written by photoshop.

really 99% it is a bug

M.

Master Retouching Hair

Learn how to rescue details, remove flyaways, add volume, and enhance the definition of hair in any photo. We break down every tool and technique in Photoshop to get picture-perfect hair, every time.

Y
YrbkMgr
Sep 3, 2006
I update metadata in bridge every day, so I would be reticent to call it a bug.

However, bridge can be quirky. When you encounter the warning that you cannot change the metatdata for a particular file, try deleting the cache for that folder and let bridge rebuild it to see if you can then update it.

If that doesn’t work, try closing bridge and photoshop, then reopen bridge and try.

This isn’t a workaround per se, I’m just wondering if it’s an issue that bridge, or its cache has a "hold" on the file not letting it be updated. So it’s a test of sorts.

Peace,
Tony
M
MCMMCMMCM
Sep 5, 2006
I also have had today the problem that the metadata (such as IPTC description) stops being displayed in Bridge for the files in a folder, and the IPTC fields can no longer be updated. I tried Tony’s idea to purge and rebuild the cache, and this solved the problem. Thank you Tony. Looks like a sortof Bridge bug to me.

MCM
Y
YrbkMgr
Sep 6, 2006
Glad it helped MCM.

Looks like a sortof Bridge bug to me

It can be counted among several, to be sure.
M
madra
Oct 7, 2006
i’ve posted to your other thread about this:

——————————————————-
well, i have exactly the same problem running bridge on mac OSX, so it’s not platform specific. in my case i’ve been able to modify the metadata using either photoshop or other apps, such as iview or graphicconverter but bridge just throws up a "this property cannot be modified" error.

needless to say i searched for the error message in ‘bridge help’ but found nothing

helpful hint to developers:
if you’re building a help section for your app, why not make sure that any of the error messages the app can generate are referenced in the help, as when faced with an error message they cannot work around – guess what! most people will try and look it up in the help section!

[jesus! -talk about having to state the bleeding obvious!] ——————————————————–

one other thing i can confirm is that this isn’t to do with file permissions. i’ve just compared two files in a terminal window – one of which bridge would let me edit the metadata for and one which it wouldn’t. both files were saved in the same folder and terminal confirmed that both files had identical permissions.

the mystery deepens

Master Retouching Hair

Learn how to rescue details, remove flyaways, add volume, and enhance the definition of hair in any photo. We break down every tool and technique in Photoshop to get picture-perfect hair, every time.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections