Grayscale in Photoshop looks green ON SCREEN – help?

N
Posted By
neonfaktory
Jan 27, 2004
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
I searched all around for similar problems, but found that everyone’s grayscale -> green problems seemed to reside after the image had been printed. Well, my problem is the same effect, but actually inside photoshop.

Alright, short and sweet version of what I’ve done.
– First, I fresh installed Photoshop. I then instantly tried to put the image into grayscale because I had this problem before… and it looks olive green.
– Ok, so lets turn color management off… no good, just became a slightly darker olive green.
– Ok, color management back to normal, convert to grayscale, SAVE, and re-open… still olive green.
– Alright, re-open grayscale-saved image WHILE color management is off this time… YES, it looks like real grayscale! Wait, it says (index) in the title bar… so Image -> Mode -> Grayscale… back to green again.

It’s ridiculous – I can save a grayscale image and open it without color management and it looks fine, I can open it in MS Paint just fine (looks perfectly gray), I can open it in anything else and it looks fine, but for some reason whenever I do it in Photoshop, while working in PS, it goes back to "gray is olive green" mode.

Photoshop even recognizes it isn’t true gray when Color Management is off! When I go from RGB -> Grayscale (makes it green), BACK to RGB again, the color picker tool even picks up an olive green color (for example.. 140R, 140G, 86B).

It’s even worse if I keep color management on, because then even in RGB mode all grays look olive green. For example, I’ll take a gray color like 128R, 128G, 128B and slide the Blue slider down to 0 to make an Olive Green color, and there will be almost NO CHANGE in color. Is it Olive Green, or Grey? You can’t even tell under those conditions.

Sooo, if anyone can provide some help, it’d be MUCH appreciated.

How to Master Sharpening in Photoshop

Give your photos a professional finish with sharpening in Photoshop. Learn to enhance details, create contrast, and prepare your images for print, web, and social media.

F
Flycaster
Jan 28, 2004
"neonfaktory" wrote in message
I searched all around for similar problems, but found that everyone’s grayscale -> green problems seemed to reside after the image had been printed. Well, my problem is the same effect, but actually inside photoshop.

– First, I fresh installed Photoshop. I then instantly tried to put the image into grayscale because I had this problem before… and it looks olive green.
– Ok, so lets turn color management off… no good, just became a slightly darker olive green.
– Ok, color management back to normal, convert to grayscale, SAVE, and re-open… still olive green.
– Alright, re-open grayscale-saved image WHILE color management is off this time… YES, it looks like real grayscale! Wait, it says (index) in the title bar… so Image -> Mode -> Grayscale… back to green again.

It’s ridiculous – I can save a grayscale image and open it without color management and it looks fine, I can open it in MS Paint just fine (looks perfectly gray), I can open it in anything else and it looks fine, but for some reason whenever I do it in Photoshop, while working in PS, it goes back to "gray is olive green" mode.
Photoshop even recognizes it isn’t true gray when Color Management is off! When I go from RGB -> Grayscale (makes it green), BACK to RGB again, the color picker tool even picks up an olive green color (for example.. 140R, 140G, 86B).

It’s even worse if I keep color management on, because then even in RGB mode all grays look olive green. For example, I’ll take a gray color like 128R, 128G, 128B and slide the Blue slider down to 0 to make an Olive Green color, and there will be almost NO CHANGE in color. Is it Olive Green, or Grey? You can’t even tell under those conditions.

Bad grey scales with CM turned on, huh? Calibrate and profile the monitor. And, if you already did, trash the profile and start over.

—–= Posted via Newsfeeds.Com, Uncensored Usenet News =—– http://www.newsfeeds.com – The #1 Newsgroup Service in the World! —–== Over 100,000 Newsgroups – 19 Different Servers! =—–
RF
Robert Feinman
Jan 28, 2004
In article ,
says…

First make sure your monitor is set up properly. Then check in the color settings in photoshop to see if you are using the correct monitor profile. Finally check the profile you have assigned to the image you are viewing.
Make sure your screen background is set to gray as well or you may be thrown off by color contrast with the background.

Robert D Feinman

Landscapes, Cityscapes, Panoramas and Photoshop Tips
http://robertdfeinman.com
-xiray-
Jan 28, 2004
On 27 Jan 2004 13:23:05 -0800, (neonfaktory)
wrote:

The operative phrase in that is "looks olive green" (with an emphasis on the word "looks."

When you have a greyscale image on screen, and you know the mode is greyscale, what color values does the info palette report on the left side of the pane when you pass the eyedropper over the image?

If you only see a K value, then the image IS greyscale and your color profiles are wrong. Start from the ground up by making sure that the correct monitor is reported by your system, then look at all the color profiles you are using.
N
neonfaktory
Jan 31, 2004
Yeah, it LOOKS olive green, but is in fact gray. The problem is that even when I’m not in grayscale mode and I have color management on, grays look green! I can look at an olive green pixel on the screen and it could be either color.

As for my monitor, the colors are absolutely fine – actually better than that. It’s an LCD and has thus far displayed the best representation of good color and clarity out of anything I’ve used. I really think the problem is with Photoshop being incorrect with all it’s color managing crap (sorry, it’s frustrating). For example, the background of the working area is the exact same gray as has always been with Photoshop. But it’s the working image itself, when opened in Photoshop, that looks all wacky off-color.

I’m very competent when it comes to computers, so drivers, monitor settings, or any other issues like that shouldn’t be a problem, though I’m only human ;). I’ve gone through all the monitor color presets, checked my driver color management (which is off, because everything but photoshop looks fine), and so on.

I’ve actually resorted to just forgetting the whole color managment and grayscale functions all together and just using the channel mixer in monochrome to get my grayscales, as that produces proper gray colors I need to work with. However, this keeps it in RGB mode, which causes problems if I need to work IN grayscale mode.

Bah, it didn’t used to do this, but thanks for the replies and any more suggestions you might have.
-xiray-
Feb 1, 2004
On 31 Jan 2004 09:41:38 -0800, (neonfaktory)
wrote:

As for my monitor, the colors are absolutely fine – actually better than that. It’s an LCD

Don’t use Adobe’s Gamma Utility with an LCD.

MacBook Pro 16” Mockups 🔥

– in 4 materials (clay versions included)

– 12 scenes

– 48 MacBook Pro 16″ mockups

– 6000 x 4500 px

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections