Files opening at 66.67% view instead of 100%??

RT
Posted By
Robert_Teitelbaum
Aug 23, 2006
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
Hi,
I’m using Photoshop CS2 on Windows XP. Since upgrading from CS1, literally every single time I open up an existing file, it (unfortunately) opens at 66.67% of its size. This is very frustrating as I usually need to view or work with files at 100%.

Is there a reason this is happening or a change in settings that will remedy??

Thanks

Must-have mockup pack for every graphic designer 🔥🔥🔥

Easy-to-use drag-n-drop Photoshop scene creator with more than 2800 items.

BL
Bob Levine
Aug 23, 2006
Graphics open at a percentage that allows PS to display the entire image.

Bob
RT
Robert_Teitelbaum
Aug 23, 2006
Thanks for the note. However, there’s more than enough room on my screen and in the Photoshop window to open things at 100%.

I did just try an experiment where I created a JPEG that was 200×200 pixels…and it did in fact open at 100% view. That said, most things I work on are 800×600, and even though there’s plenty of room on my 19" monitor to open these at full size, they open at 66%. So…clearly Photoshop is making some sort of judgement/determination that files above a certain size get scaled.

I’d still like to solve this as it’s a pain in the rear to have to resize every single file I open.
C
chrisjbirchall
Aug 23, 2006
it’s a pain in the rear to have to resize every single file I open

Crtl +

Two fingers. Considerable fewer keystrokes than were used to type your post. 🙂

However – I do remember seeing somewhere that there is a way of making PS ignore the palette positions when opening an image. Someone may pop into this thread who knows the "secret".

Are you opening the images inside the PS workspace, or have you got the window "rolled up" so they open on the desktop?

You could also try resetting the default workspace. And you could also try resetting the preferences as detailed in the FAQs.

Hope this helps.

Chris.
TM
Trevor_Morris
Aug 23, 2006
If all else fails, create an action or script that essentially does a View Actual Pixels and add it to the Open even in the Script Event Manager.
LL
Larry_Ligon
Aug 23, 2006
You can try one of my scripts.

Automatically fit image on screen:

http://www.ps-scripts.com/bb/viewtopic.php?t=59

Automatically view actual pixels at 100%:

http://www.ps-scripts.com/bb/viewtopic.php?t=62

Larry
P
Pipkin
Aug 23, 2006
Double click on Zoom Tool (magnifier) = 100% view.

I do remember seeing somewhere that there is a way of making PS ignore the palette positions when opening an image

When Zoom Tool is selected just check both ‘Resize Windows to Fit’ and ‘Ignore Palettes’.
RT
Robert_Teitelbaum
Aug 23, 2006
Larry, thanks for those scripts…for the most part they’re doing the trick. I’m not sure if something is set a little odd on my computer, but on their own…each of the scripts has a slight quirk:

– View Actual Pixels 100%: This does open the file at 100% view, but for some reason the window the image is in then resizes immediately after it opens and becomes a bit smaller…so you can see the scroll bars for both horizontal and vertical and need to resize the window manually if you want to see the entire image. (My guess is that the window is at 97.5% similar to the one below?)

– Fit Image on Screen: Opens the file at 97.5%

Again, not a big deal…I can live with the first scenario, but if you happen to know what I’m doing wrong, certainly let me know.

Thanks so much-
G
Gener
Aug 23, 2006
Hi Larry ^_^

The "Fit on screen" script is definitely useful!

I never even tried playing with the Script Manager before. This is a fun way to learn. I kind of thought scripting was rocket science…now I’m encouraged to look into it.

Gene
G
Gener
Aug 23, 2006
Robert: Trying out the "view 100%" does give me a consistent 100% zoom on my rig for any file I open, but the window shrinks to half width on my screen.
P
PECourtejoie
Aug 25, 2006
Robert, try to nudge the location of the toolbar (to put it a few pixles away from the side of the interface, or even save your workspace, then re-set it to default to see if it would change something. Is Photoshop maximized?
P
Phosphor
Aug 25, 2006
Move palettes away from the edge of your screen.

Hold the "Shift" key and move them back into place.

This will cause them to "Snap" into the optimum location. When this is done, Photoshop will then recognize this fact; subsequently, document windows will open where they are supposed to and will open to the nearest preset magnification which will display the entire image without scroll bars.

At least, this is the way it’s worked for a long time, up until PS 7.x. If this behavior has been changed in newer versions, I wouldn’t know.
JS
Joel_Santinho
Aug 26, 2006
Preferences; General; Zoom Resizes Windows
when clicking CTRL+ALT+0 the image will be at 100% zoom

How to Master Sharpening in Photoshop

Give your photos a professional finish with sharpening in Photoshop. Learn to enhance details, create contrast, and prepare your images for print, web, and social media.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections