Make a font look like it was embroidered or stitched?

CH
Posted By
Clark_Haddock
Aug 27, 2004
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
I am trying to make a logo look like it has been stitched or Embroidered? Any help?

How to Improve Photoshop Performance

Learn how to optimize Photoshop for maximum speed, troubleshoot common issues, and keep your projects organized so that you can work faster than ever before!

O
Oh2
Aug 27, 2004
You might try a variation on this > <http://www.myjanee.com/tuts/brush7/stitch/stitch.htm>
WG
Welles_Goodrich
Aug 27, 2004
I’m going to presume that your logo is a bitmap image and you are going to be working in Photoshop. I will also presume that once you open the logo it is one layer. If so, select all the different elements (text, background, drawing etc.) and copy them to new layers. Use layer styles on each of the layers. Most likely all you will need is Bevel and Emboss and Pattern Overlay. B&E is used to simulate the higher center and lowered edges caused by the stitching. Don’t stay with the stock black and white shadow/highlights but change the color/opacity settings to match the colors of each element you are trying to effect. The actual stitching is simulated by using a Pattern Overlay. To create a pattern which will simulate the fields of thread found in embroidered patterns, start with a new image filled with 50% grey. Use various filters to simulate the look you are after. Experimenting in the Filter Factory is the way to go, I’d think. You could also scan a field of a machine embroidered patch and turn it to grayscale Save the image as a Pattern. Back in your original image load the pattern you just created in Pattern Overlay and set the blend mode to Overlay.

Good Luck!
CH
Clark_Haddock
Aug 27, 2004
Welles, do you know where I can see someexamples of work like thos or a visual guide. I am new to Photoshop and it soundssimple but I think it may be a little out of my league. Thanks for the info.
WG
Welles_Goodrich
Aug 27, 2004
Clark,

Is your need immediate or will tomorrow do? I’ll figure it out and write a tutorial but I can’t do it today. I’m just swamped with work. Tell me, though. What is your starting point (what type of file) and do you want to make the image look as though it were stitched on a commercial embroidery machine?
CH
Clark_Haddock
Aug 27, 2004
Basickly what I am doing is takeing my company name "Countrywide Promotions" written in Garamond bold in white over a dark navy background"R13,G0,B6" I had created a background that looked like a navy cloth material from a polo shirt and had hoped to make my logo look like it was embroidered on it. an example is <http://www.csapparel.com/> or you can see my website I am building at www.countrywidepromotions.com Let me know if that help you understand what I am trying to do. I will take any help I can get. Thanks,
Clark
KN
Ken_Nielsen
Aug 27, 2004
Looks like the CSApparel type is actually embroidered. You can do this on a modern home sewing machine. Go to a retail outlet that sells this type of machine and pay them the few bucks to actually spit it out in the font of your choice. Scan it, or better yet, photograph it in a studio setting and go for the truly realistic look. Use that satin thread – it looks cool!
WG
Welles_Goodrich
Aug 27, 2004
Clark,

You can create the effect using Layer Styles. Have your polo shirt material on the background layer. Type your text, it will be on the layer above. Now I’ve made a pretty good pattern with two subtle variations which you can use with the text to make the thread effect I’ll send them to you as a pattern file (.pat). When you get it, place the file in Applications > Adobe Photoshop > Presets > Patterns.

Now double click on the text layer in the layers palette and the Layer Style dialog comes up. Click on the words "Bevel and Emboss" which will bring up the dialog for B&E and activate the check box. In the upper area, Structure, set the Style to Pillow Emboss. Set the Technique to Chisel Soft adjust the size with the slider, probably 3 px or so will look good but adjust it to suit.

Next, click on the words "Pattern Overlay." Pattern Overlay dialog appears. Click on the square image of whatever pattern is showing. This will bring up a palette of patterns. You will now have to load the pattern I’m going to send you. That is done by clicking on the circled triangle in the upper right corner of the patterns palette. Find the new pattern in the menu which appears when you click on it. Select the name of the pattern you just placed in the Presets folder. This will bring up a little dialog which allows you to add it to the rest of the patterns which are loaded by clicking "Append." It will be loaded as the last pattern so find it and highlight it. You can return to the Layer Style dialog by hitting Return or clicking on the Layer Style dialog box.

Once the pattern is loaded, set the Scale to 50%. You will have to experiment with the the blend mode and opacity. In all probability the Overlay mode will work but Multiply, Screen, or maybe even one of the others may give a better blend depending on your text color. Click OK.

So send me an e-mail (click on my name at the top of this post and you will find it) and I’ll return to you three patterns in one .pat file. They are subtly different and will all load at once. Probably Embroidery1 will be best as it has the greatest contrast. If you let your cursor hover over a pattern in the pattern palette the name will appear (like a tool tip)

Here’s a quick sample result of the steps I’ve described…

<http://homepage.mac.com/wellesgoodrich/CountryCS.jpg>
R
Ram
Aug 27, 2004
Nice job, Welles!

Care to share the pattern? 🙂
WG
Welles_Goodrich
Aug 27, 2004
Ramón,

Sure, glad to. Well I tried to link the pattern file for download but it didn’t work right off and I’m too busy to figure out how… so send me an e-mail and I’ll return the .pat file.

Cheers!
Welles
R
Ram
Aug 27, 2004
Thanks, Welles. Click on my name and kindly reassemble my email address.
O
Oh2
Aug 28, 2004
Awesome job, Welles
L
linda
Aug 28, 2004
Wow Welles! That is really good. I’m so glad you shared that…
F
fotografica
Aug 28, 2004
Wells, Looks great! Can you share the pattern, I can certainly use it for one of my clients… Ana
WG
Welles_Goodrich
Aug 28, 2004
Ana,

I’d be glad to. This was received with such warm enthusiasm here that I turned it into a beginner’s tutorial for another site and posted the patterns on my iDisk for download. They are zipped for accessibility by Windows folks as well. If they cause any problems I’ll put up a stuffed version (which is less than half the size of the zipped file).

<http://homepage.mac.com/wellesgoodrich/FileSharing2.html>
L
linda
Aug 28, 2004
That is so nice of you Welles. Thanks!
L
linda
Aug 28, 2004
BTW, I plan to start a download section on my newly designed web site. It will be connected to the Interaction Page… in case you want to offer your tutorial as a download there.

Linda
F
fotografica
Aug 28, 2004
Wells, thanks for sharing! Ana
CH
Clark_Haddock
Aug 29, 2004
how do you have this saved? Can I open it in Photoshop? Do I save it as a Style?
PC
Pierre_Courtejoie
Aug 29, 2004
Ah welles, I knew that it as related to this thread when I saw your tutorial at PsGurus!
WG
Welles_Goodrich
Aug 29, 2004
Pierre,

I refined the directions slightly between trying to answer Clark’s question and the PSG tute. Waste not want not (and a bunch of other clichés). :o)

Clark,

I think maybe I clarified the directions of how to use the Embroidery.pat file for a PSG tute. See if it answers your questions…

< http://www.photoshopgurus.info/forum/viewtopic.php?p=71438#7 1438>

Good Luck!
CH
Clark_Haddock
Aug 30, 2004
Wellas,

I figured out how to do the font and text to make it look like it had been embroidered. Thanks, It turned out great!

My next question is how can I create a fabric background other than the styles I currently have on my computer. I am now trying to create a background in a dark navy blue like <http://www.csapparel.com/> had on their header. Can you give me some dirrection on how to do this?
WG
Welles_Goodrich
Aug 30, 2004
Clark,

I’m glad you figured it out. About that fabric background. I’m not sure what you are looking at on the page which you linked… the Works Everywhere banner? Do you want to take the yellow swatch of polo shirt material and turn it navy? You can change any color into any other color. Can you define more precisely your goal?
CH
Clark_Haddock
Aug 30, 2004
Wellas,

yes, I am trying to make a header like the yellow fabric from the crystal spring header(top left section) area into blue. The fabrics I have on my computer looks like fabric but I want a more closer look to a polo shirt like crystal springs has than what I have. So my question is how can I create a background or style that looks like the crystal springs?
WG
Welles_Goodrich
Aug 30, 2004
Scan a piece of the fabric and adjust the color if you have to, I think. I wouldn’t know how to try and match a texture without some sample or image for reference.

How to Improve Photoshop Performance

Learn how to optimize Photoshop for maximum speed, troubleshoot common issues, and keep your projects organized so that you can work faster than ever before!

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections