Posted By
amylynpace
Aug 18, 2006
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
Howdy.

I’m setting up a file to be direct-printed to a green t-shirt on a website called zazzle.com

It’s currently a PSD with layers and transparency. Black text and a logo on a transparent background.

Their help files say to save it as a 32 bit PNG with alpha transparency and that transparency will be retained. I’m sure the 100% transparent areas will be transparent but what happens to the edge pixels that aren’t 100% transparent? They’ll no doubt be printed as an opaque color, giving me a halo. I can deal with that by mimicking the t-shirt’s color in a bottom layer, I suppose. The shirt will be a lighter color, so it might not matter much.

My questions are:
Which Save for Web should I use? PNG-8 or PNG-24? or can I save as a 32 bit PNG from PS7?
Should I really create an alpha channel transparency? Is it somehow better?
And finally, has anyone had an experience designing a shirt at zazzle or similar.

Thanks
Amy

How to Improve Photoshop Performance

Learn how to optimize Photoshop for maximum speed, troubleshoot common issues, and keep your projects organized so that you can work faster than ever before!

MH
Mike Hyndman
Aug 19, 2006
wrote in message
Howdy.

I’m setting up a file to be direct-printed to a green t-shirt on a website called zazzle.com

It’s currently a PSD with layers and transparency. Black text and a logo on a transparent background.

Their help files say to save it as a 32 bit PNG with alpha transparency and that transparency will be retained. I’m sure the 100% transparent areas will be transparent but what happens to the edge pixels that aren’t 100% transparent? They’ll no doubt be printed as an opaque color, giving me a halo. I can deal with that by mimicking the t-shirt’s color in a bottom layer, I suppose. The shirt will be a lighter color, so it might not matter much.

My questions are:
Which Save for Web should I use? PNG-8 or PNG-24? or can I save as a 32 bit PNG from PS7?
And finally, has anyone had an experience designing a shirt at zazzle or similar.

Thanks
32 bit png? 24 then 48 seems to be the progression, see http://www.mezzoblue.com/archives/2003/06/09/a_png_review/

MH
A
amylynpace
Aug 20, 2006
You can imagine my confusion.
Maybe 32=24 in zazzlespeak. I’m using a 24 bt image. Still worried about the edges but I guess I’ll give it a go.
MH
Mike Hyndman
Aug 20, 2006
wrote in message
Maybe 32=24 in zazzlespeak. I’m using a 24 bt image. Still worried about the edges but I guess I’ll give it a go.

😉

MH
S
sfb
Aug 20, 2006
It is a tee shirt. They’ll be looking at your tits not the edges of the design.

wrote in message
OR
Owen Ransen
Aug 22, 2006
On 18 Aug 2006 13:41:26 -0700, wrote:

My questions are:

Nobody seems to have answered your question.

PNG has variable transparency, unlike GIF which only has 0% or 100%, so you should be OK.

Easy to use graphics effects:
http://www.ransen.com/
MH
Mike Hyndman
Aug 22, 2006
"Owen Ransen" wrote in message
On 18 Aug 2006 13:41:26 -0700, wrote:

My questions are:

Nobody seems to have answered your question.

PNG has variable transparency, unlike GIF which only has 0% or 100%, so you should be OK.

Did you read the link?

"PNG, pronounced ‘ping’, is available in 3 flavours: true colour, grayscale, and palette-based. The former is better known as PNG-24, the latter as PNG-8 (24 and 8 bits per pixel, respectively) and these are the two that will concern us for now. 1-bit transparency means every pixel is either completely transparent, or completely opaque. 8-bit transparency means every pixel has an opacity value from 0 to 255, where 0 is completely transparent and 255 is completely opaque".

MH
OR
Owen Ransen
Aug 22, 2006
On Tue, 22 Aug 2006 12:07:03 +0100, "Mike Hyndman" wrote:

The former is better known as PNG-24, the latter as PNG-8

Ha! I did not even know that PNG-8 existed!

Oh well, you learn something every day…

MH
Mike Hyndman
Aug 22, 2006
"Owen Ransen" wrote in message
On Tue, 22 Aug 2006 12:07:03 +0100, "Mike Hyndman" wrote:

The former is better known as PNG-24, the latter as PNG-8

Ha! I did not even know that PNG-8 existed!

Oh well, you learn something every day…

Owen,

"Share what you know, learn what you don’t." 😉

Regards

Mike H

MacBook Pro 16” Mockups 🔥

– in 4 materials (clay versions included)

– 12 scenes

– 48 MacBook Pro 16″ mockups

– 6000 x 4500 px

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections