ND
Posted By
Nick_Doyle
Jul 23, 2006
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
Not sure if this is a place for tutorials. Oh well.

I’m trying to make a picture of a bent coin. I have two layers, the "heads" side, and the "tails" side. I was just wondering if anyone could give me some good tutorial on how to make a "bent" effect.

How to Improve Photoshop Performance

Learn how to optimize Photoshop for maximum speed, troubleshoot common issues, and keep your projects organized so that you can work faster than ever before!

EH
Ed_Hannigan
Jul 23, 2006
You could use Filter>Spherize set to the horizontal cylinder grid on each and combine them using Layer Masks.
GD
glen_deman
Jul 23, 2006
Do you mean bent like almost folded in half, or twisted? I’m just trying to visualize the effect you’re going for.
ND
Nick_Doyle
Jul 23, 2006
http://web.inetba.com/tophat3/images/BentCoin1.jpg
thats sort of the effect I’m shooting for. However, not that angle. More bend, and I want to see both sides of the coin. Thanks for your guys’ reponces so far.
ND
Nick_Doyle
Jul 23, 2006
sorry about that.
ND
Nick_Doyle
Jul 27, 2006
Glen, I’ve created a circle with SolidWorks, its beveled and all but how do I transform it/warp it and add the picture of the coin?
GD
glen_deman
Jul 27, 2006
Nick,

I’m using SolidWorks 2006, I forget if previous versions have the flex feature.

If you do have this version, go to Insert>Features>Flex.

Choose the Bending option.

Play with the Angle and Radius values.

For mapping the coin images, you need the PhotoWorks plugin.

Go to Photoworks>Decal. Choose the image, and choose the surface you want to map. Initially it will map very cleanly, but after the bend you might have to play with scaling to get proper coverage of the coin face.
ND
Nick_Doyle
Jul 28, 2006
well I only have Solidwords ’04 and it doesn’t appear to have the Flex tool. I even searched the glossary but there were no results. I’ll try to convince my parents to get the upgrade. lol. Well, stay posted. Thanks for everyones help already.
PC
Philo_Calhoun
Jul 28, 2006
I haven’t used solidworks, but every major 3d program I know could flex this without a specific flex tool. It would be a matter of selecting points and transforming them in 3d space and setting the camera correctly.
ND
Nick_Doyle
Jul 29, 2006
My parents said no to the upgrade.

Philo, is there a FREE program you would recommend?
CN
Cybernetic Nomad
Jul 29, 2006
Maya3D is available free for a non-commercial licence from Autodesk

More information here:

MayaPLE < http://usa.autodesk.com/adsk/servlet/index?siteID=123112&amp ;id=6902573>

edit: I have no affiliation with that company
PC
Philo_Calhoun
Jul 29, 2006
Nick: can you not select points and transform them manually? I use SoftImage XSI and ACAD and have used Blender, and the method would be similar for any of those programs. Rather than use a canned effect, can’t you just transpose some points in 3d space without buying an upgrade? I don’t think you need to go out and buy a new program, but I don’t know the keystrokes to do it in the program you already have.

In any 3d program I know of, you could make a disk, put the front and back images of a penny on the two sides of the disk, put a copper colour on the side, add some lights and a camera and then select point pairs (for top and bottom of the disk) and transpose them along an axis.
GD
glen_deman
Jul 29, 2006
Yup, you can do it; rather than extruding a circle, use the spline tool and make your circle that way. You can then push and pull the points as needed to distort the shape.

Must-have mockup pack for every graphic designer 🔥🔥🔥

Easy-to-use drag-n-drop Photoshop scene creator with more than 2800 items.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections