AM
Posted By
Andrew_Martyn
Jul 20, 2006
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
I did something very stupid. After working on a pretty complex file with many layers, I flattened them to achieve a certain exported output. The problem was that I then saved the file (doh!) and subsequently lost the layers.

Is there a way to recover the previously saved file with the layers? (or make them come back!)

Master Retouching Hair

Learn how to rescue details, remove flyaways, add volume, and enhance the definition of hair in any photo. We break down every tool and technique in Photoshop to get picture-perfect hair, every time.

JJ
John Joslin
Jul 20, 2006
No. Annoying isn’t it?
LH
Lawrence_Hudetz
Jul 20, 2006
Don’t you just hate it when that happens?

Ok, a bit flip. I sympathize with you Andrew. Been there.
JJ
John Joslin
Jul 20, 2006
I think we all have at one time or another.

You force yourself to get into the habit of frequently saving your work and then you do it without thinking 🙁
L
LenHewitt
Jul 20, 2006
Absolutely Not, Andrew. Once flattened, that’s it as far the layers are concerned.
JJ
John Joslin
Jul 20, 2006
Not till you save it Len!
PC
Pierre_Courtejoie
Jul 20, 2006
If the file is still open, go back in history, if the flattening step is still there.
JJ
John Joslin
Jul 20, 2006
Well what did I say then?
L
LenHewitt
Jul 20, 2006
John,

O/P says:

"The problem was that I then saved the file"

I think we can assume he also closed it…
EH
Ed_Hannigan
Jul 20, 2006
I would never make that assumption. Some peope might not realize that you can go back in History to before a Flatten or Save.
P
PeterK.
Jul 20, 2006
And a tip for the future, whenever you need a flattened version for some kind of temporary export or any kind of use, do it by way of going Image-Duplicate. Your original will not be affected, and you even have the option in Duplicate to check the box that makes your duplicate with all the layers merged together. There’s no danger of overwriting something you need as the duplicate is a separate file with "copy" added to the name by default.
PC
Pierre_Courtejoie
Jul 20, 2006
To continue on PeterK’s suggestion, using incremental numbers when doing so is a good idea. (do not forget to clean the working folders from time to time)

Have an auto-snapshot creation when saving might bee useful too.
AM
Andrew_Martyn
Jul 20, 2006
hello all you guys – well, yes, I did close the file – it was late at night, etc etc. I have learned my lesson.

I was wondering if Photoshop (like MS Word) autosaves the file in temp files and whether I could find an older saved version in one of these temp files. – but seems not.

🙁
EH
Ed_Hannigan
Jul 20, 2006
Nope.
JJ
John Joslin
Jul 20, 2006
Nice idea, but an autosave feature would need a lot of resources which many users don’t have available.

How to Master Sharpening in Photoshop

Give your photos a professional finish with sharpening in Photoshop. Learn to enhance details, create contrast, and prepare your images for print, web, and social media.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections