PC
Posted By
Pierre_Courtejoie
Jul 18, 2006
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
Bill, there must be a problem with your Photoshop CD. Is it CS2, the suite?

MacBook Pro 16” Mockups 🔥

– in 4 materials (clay versions included)

– 12 scenes

– 48 MacBook Pro 16″ mockups

– 6000 x 4500 px

MJ
Mike_JH_Dyson
Jul 18, 2006
Bill,

Your problem isn’t the same as the rest of ours, it does sound as if there may be a problem with your copy of photoshop. If you’re using an older version than CS2 it may be an issue with the multiprocessor plugin, as from what I understand the earlier versions of this were a bit flakey and a patch is available in the downloads section of the adobe site.

Was the intel box a pentium 4 with hyperthreading? If so as far as photoshop is concerned they are both mutliprocessor systems.
RD
roy_davidson
Jul 19, 2006
Oh my …

I just upgraded 6 artist workstations to the Dell Precision 690 Running dual xeon dual core..

I’m getting the same cs2 error every one else is getting.

I just had this company spend 36k on new workstations only to find out that cs2 p-shop doesn’t support multiple procs hyperthreaded..

HELP Adobe..
I’m gonna have to tell management that they wasted 36k on machines that will be slower than before..

Please fix this adobe
RD
roy_davidson
Jul 19, 2006
I just noticed that this problem has been going on now for over 6 months.

I take it it means that adobe is going to let us flap in the wind on this issue ?
MJ
Mike_JH_Dyson
Jul 19, 2006
Unfortunately the response from Adobe in general appears to be mainly silence. I first Iderntified this issue over six months ago and immediatly rang Adobe. Their resolution was "turn off hyperthreading" and they also tried to persuade me that hyperthreading had no actual benefit. This may well be the case in photoshop and possibly any other Adobe product, but certainly isn’t the case with stuff like 3D studio.

I’m starting to get very annoyed by the lack of any proper fix for this. Even some sort of response saying it’s in the pipeline would be nice!
H
Ho
Jul 19, 2006
Nobody ever reads post 16…
H
Ho
Jul 19, 2006
Chris Cox – 9:54am Mar 3, 06 PST (#16 of 54)

Yeah, we just found a bug in Intel’s HyperThreading detection code that would prevent that from working. We’re testing a fix for it now.
MJ
Mike_JH_Dyson
Jul 19, 2006
Dated march 3 I notice, long testing period!
RD
roy_davidson
Jul 19, 2006
Post 16 was over 4 months ago.

4 months to a business counting on the performance of hyperthreading can mean a lot of money.

I don’t understand why they can’t introduce an interium fix that loads at least 4 of the 8 procs? the way it stands now is that the module refuses to load and only uses 1 proc.

Adobe Premier and all other Adobe multi-threaded products as well as all the 3d apps that we run see/use all 8 procs.. Only Photoshop CS2 does not.
D
DavidPatton
Jul 19, 2006
Roy, I would say welcome to the club but it’s a lame club to be a part of. I’ve been in the club since post #4 February 22 of this year and have delt with the near silence Mike spoke of. Unless you count the following responses . . .

Here’s the "You’re a screw up it the problem isn’t real response":

Post #3
"Preferences won’t help – the error means what it says. At some point, you copied the multiprocessor support extension from a different version of Photoshop."

Post #7
"Almost always, this is because you installed an older copy of the plugin — and the error means what it says."

Now more people are complaining so here’s the "We will look into response":

Post #16
"Yeah, we just found a bug in Intel’s HyperThreading detection code that would prevent that from working. We’re testing a fix for it now."

Even more time goes by and we get the "Sweep it under the rug response":

Post #38
"Just turn off hyperthreading, and it’ll work."

Post #40
"Hyperthreading is kind of pointless on those processors anyway."

That should bring you up to speed on the responses.
RD
roy_davidson
Jul 19, 2006
I see that David,
Thanks for bringing me up to speed.

4 months ago they were testing the fix. The fact that no fix was presented must mean that the test didn’t go too well.

That is what concerns me. The fact that I have just installed these new workstations with the idea that CS2 would be okay. No where am I able to find officially that CS2 doesn’t support more than 4 procs.

In fact if you read the min config requirements it talks about supporting multiple cpu’s.. it just doesn’t mention that 4 is the limit.
MJ
Mike_JH_Dyson
Jul 19, 2006
The bizarre thing is that no other supposedly multi CPU products seems to have a problem. For example Adobe Premiere, go figure!!
D
DavidPatton
Jul 19, 2006
Roy,

You are not alone in your concerns. Many of us have been waiting and hoping for a fix. To your point about having to tell your bosses that they wasted their money, I had a similar experience. I actually had to take a small lashing from my superiors after they wanted to review the performance of the new workstation. The saving grace was that the dual core/dual processor configuration more than delivered the goods on our 3D apps. They instructed me to stay on top of it and I have had to report on the situation every couple of months now.

This is the type of thing as a department manager that can make you look bad. You make a recommendation for the benefit of the company and think you have all your bases covered and then wham! Something like this. Number one I never thought I’d have an issue with an Adobe product (because I never have before) but further more I never thought it would take this long to resolve an issue.

I wish you the best when you have to talk to your superiors.
MJ
Mike_JH_Dyson
Jul 19, 2006
Okay, bored moaning about this now, time to start trying to get something done. I’ve just spoken to Adobe Systems in the UK (where I reside) and have got the contact details of a lady to chat to about this in more detail. I’m hoping that I can try and force some sort of official response about this rather than the silence we have received thus far. Shes not in today, but I shall ring her tommorrow.

I’d suggest you guys do the same. The more stink we can raise, the more likely there will be a resolution.

Also, as these are all likely to be passed onto the ststes, hopefully the more similar queries hitting them at the same time, the more chance of it being perceived as a boot up the rear!
RD
roy_davidson
Jul 26, 2006
I haven’t tested it yet but here is another one.
this one was written by a microsoft programmer

< http://searchwinit.techtarget.com/tip/0,289483,sid1_gci89139 5,00.html>

Also the tech bulletin from microsoft

<http://support.microsoft.com/kb/252867/>

It is for windows 2000 so I don’t know if it will work with xp
CC
Chris_Cox
Jul 26, 2006
Please read the responses before going off half cocked….

Adobe is not "letting this linger".
We’ve got a solution, but it has taken a while to test it (how many machines do YOU have around with more than 8 processors?).
N
N4cr2k
Jul 26, 2006
Sorry if I sounded rude, but I was unaware of a "solution". The method I suggested is merely a work around. My machine does not have 8 true processors, but I would be more than willing to help in the testing of this new patch.
CC
Chris_Cox
Jul 27, 2006
Again: Please read the existing responses.

And read carefully what I wrote in message #68.
BL
bill_lindhout
Jul 27, 2006
chris thanks for your insight and the assurance that you are working on the problem. look forward to the solution
thanks

How to Master Sharpening in Photoshop

Give your photos a professional finish with sharpening in Photoshop. Learn to enhance details, create contrast, and prepare your images for print, web, and social media.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections