C
Posted By
CompleteNewb
Jun 27, 2006
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
Using PS 7. I’ve looked in the Help and online, but for some reason found very few posts about this (probably because most people know what they’re doing), and none with answers that applied to my situation.

I’m trying to remove the layer style (bevel/emboss) from just the bottom of a rounded rectangle shape. Even after rasterizing the layer, the little Layer Effects icon is still there in the Layer pallette (with the separate little layers showing the effects underneath). When I rect-marquee over the bottom of the shape and delete, it just applies the effect to the smaller rectangle. How do I remove the style from just one edge of a shape? I don’t want to flatten the image, I’m still needing to work with lots of layers.

Any help would be appreciated, and thanks for reading.

How to Master Sharpening in Photoshop

Give your photos a professional finish with sharpening in Photoshop. Learn to enhance details, create contrast, and prepare your images for print, web, and social media.

MH
Mike Hyndman
Jun 28, 2006
"CompleteNewb" wrote in message
Using PS 7. I’ve looked in the Help and online, but for some reason found very few posts about this (probably because most people know what they’re doing), and none with answers that applied to my situation.
I’m trying to remove the layer style (bevel/emboss) from just the bottom of a rounded rectangle shape. Even after rasterizing the layer, the little Layer Effects icon is still there in the Layer pallette (with the separate little layers showing the effects underneath). When I rect-marquee over the bottom of the shape and delete, it just applies the effect to the smaller rectangle. How do I remove the style from just one edge of a shape? I don’t want to flatten the image, I’m still needing to work with lots of layers.

Any help would be appreciated, and thanks for reading.

A layer style is just what it says, a style applied to a layer and any object on that layer if layer is transparent. As such you cannot selectively remove parts of the style.
You have an rectangle on one layer with an embossed style applied to it. (layer)
Draw a selection around this shape to select and copy this shape. Paste it, it will come in on its own layeron top of the original, but without the layer style applied to it.
You can then use a layer mask on this layer or just erase around your pasted shape to allow the embossed version to show through (the parts you need) from underneath.

hope this is clear.

MH

Must-have mockup pack for every graphic designer 🔥🔥🔥

Easy-to-use drag-n-drop Photoshop scene creator with more than 2800 items.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections