DL
Posted By
David_Lowrey
Jan 27, 2004
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
I have a banner image I want to use as a frame on a web site.

I want to cut the image up into 9 pieces, and use a 9×9 HTML frame, one piece in each cell, to create a border. The "middle" piece wont be used, as other web content will be placed in the center of the 9×9 frame.

Is there a way in PSE to cut an image up into multiple pieces? I know I could try to crop each piece, but I dont trust myself to get the size and positioning of each crop correct.

If PSE wont do this, does anyone know of a tool (for windows) that does?

Thanks!

Dave

Must-have mockup pack for every graphic designer 🔥🔥🔥

Easy-to-use drag-n-drop Photoshop scene creator with more than 2800 items.

DS
Dick_Smith
Jan 27, 2004
Dave,

I don’t have an answer but I’ll be interested in seeing what others think. I tried to do this a couple of weeks ago without a lot of success. One thing does come to mind and that would be to turn the "grid" on over your image so you can use that as a relative postioning tool. I believe you can specify the size of the grid as well.

Dick
JR
John_R._Collins
Jan 27, 2004
Hi Dave,
You can try to adapt my method of making one picture look like it is an overlapping of 5 pictures although I didn’t line them up (which you can do). I made notes for myself so I could remember what I did.
It involves layers and it sounds complex but once you have completed one of the frames, the rest are easy. Here are the steps:

Open picture.
Make new blank layer.
Fill it with colour.
On coloured layer, select a rectangle.
Copy it.
Create layer via copy.
Make duplicate layer and repeat as many times as you wish. Delete the painted layer.
Edit stroke each layer chosing a colour that won’t be obscured. Select and then move each layer over the picture, overlapping carefully. Link the rectangular layers and in Layer, merge linked layers. With magic wand, select each coloured zone and cut them.

Use wand outside the frames to select everything.
Make scene layer active.
Cut and then fill with white.

Drop shadow (for a 3D effect):
Use white as your fill colour.
After applying drop shadows where appropriate, do NOT flatten image.

Hope this gives you some ideas,

John
PD
Pete_D
Jan 27, 2004
This may not be what you are asking but if you want nine equal pieces to use:

I would use the rectangular marquee tool and have it set to a fixed size that is 1/9th of the total.

Then just place the marquee tool over the section(s) (use view grid to help placement) and layer/new via copy, returning to the full image before the next copy.

Once that is done open a new canvas set to the same size and resolution as those copies and one at a time, "drag" them on to the canvas, saving them each as a new file name. Once saved you can use the undo button and go back to the blank canvas so you don’t have to keep remaking that. Just don’t hit the save again until you have the next layer copy placed and named #2 and #3 and so on.

Goes fast once you do it a few times:)

Pete
DL
David_Lowrey
Jan 27, 2004
I got this to work, and it was much easier than I anticipated…

I turned on the grid, and enabled Snap to Grid.

I then used the marquee tool to select a section of the photo. Once selected, I copied the selection.

I then created a new image using "New from clipboard".

I did this for the eight pieces I needed.

I then created an empty 9×9 table, and filled in each cell, other than the middle one, with the appropriate image piece.

The key thing to remember is that within each table column, each of the photos had to be the same width, and within each table row, each of the photos had to be the same height.

Worked great!

Thanks for the help everyone!

Dave
GD
Grant_Dixon
Jan 27, 2004
Dave

You idea does sound like a good one but I think you will find Elements will be a pain to work with in this area. When I use to do this I used a program called Slicer not sure if it even exists any more but in any event there are lots of freebees out there. Just do a Google using "image slicer software". If it is only a one off you may want to down load the demo version of Paint Shop
Pro as it has a built in slicer. PSP will give you 30 days free use followed by 30 days of nag use. http://www.jasc.com/

Grant.
PD
Pete_D
Jan 27, 2004
Dave,

You did that fast. Great.

One side note. When you use copy and paste it eats up memory. If you "drag" a layer from the layers palette it uses none.

Pete
JR
John_R._Collins
Jan 27, 2004
DAve
I know you’ve got the job figured out but I meant to show you a picture of what my method results in. Go to www.photo.epson.com and put in my email address in the lower slot (without the nospam) and then go to the experiments album.
John

DS
Dick_Smith
Jan 27, 2004
John, that image is great. I like the way you’ve combined styles in the one pic. Teh image of the rocks and grasses is super. I’m keeping that in mind.

Dick
JR
John_R._Collins
Jan 27, 2004
Dick,

That picture is of my favorite place in the world. It’s where I catch some rays at our summer place in Haliburton, ON.
The image (in one piece) is my wallpaper. I’m glad you like it.

John
DS
Dick_Smith
Jan 28, 2004
John, where is Halliburton?

I lived in the Detroit, MI area for over 30 years. We used to go up the Huron shoreline north in Ontario, and many times east on 401 to Niagra, but I can’t place Halliburton. Lake Ontario shoreline?

Dick
JR
John_R._Collins
Jan 28, 2004
Hi,
It’s in the middle of Ontario, to the east of Lake Simcoe. Haliburton is both a county and a town. Our place is close to the town of Haliburton.

John

Master Retouching Hair

Learn how to rescue details, remove flyaways, add volume, and enhance the definition of hair in any photo. We break down every tool and technique in Photoshop to get picture-perfect hair, every time.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections