DS
Posted By
Dick_Smith
Jan 26, 2004
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
Today was one of those rare days in Western North Carolina where the rime ice forms at lower elevations. We’re about 2200′ here and it doesn’t usually get down this low

I’ve put a couple of pix here:

<http://ncsmiths.com/cgi-bin/pro/emAlbum.cgi?c=show_album;p=PhotoShop_Elements>

If that link doesn’t show up correctly try this one:

<http://tinyurl.com/2sw24>

Dick

How to Improve Photoshop Performance

Learn how to optimize Photoshop for maximum speed, troubleshoot common issues, and keep your projects organized so that you can work faster than ever before!

CS
Chuck_Snyder
Jan 26, 2004
Dick, I hope it’s not pulling down any wires. We had one of those in Philadelphia when I was a kid (yes, Jodi, we did have electricity then) and it was quite a sight….

Chuck
MR
Mark_Reibman
Jan 26, 2004
Nice photos Dick, brrr….looks pretty cold there.
GD
Grant_Dixon
Jan 26, 2004
Chuck the northern lights don’t count as electricity.

g.
JF
Jodi_Frye
Jan 26, 2004
Dick, your little winter looks so much nicer than ours ;( nice pics !

Chuck, you are trying so hard to get me to drift aren’t you ?…you just want to get me into trouble that’s all. 😉
CS
Chuck_Snyder
Jan 26, 2004
Grant, we had a spectacular display of northern lights one memorable night in 1957-58; very busy sunspot year. I’ll never forget it…
CS
Chuck_Snyder
Jan 26, 2004
Jodi…..would I do something like that??
😉
JF
Jodi_Frye
Jan 26, 2004
Chuck, hmmmm, I wouldn’t put it past you 😉
PD
Pete_D
Jan 26, 2004
You know what is amazing Dick? I just got done cutting the grass. Nice pictures; but glad I am not there.

Pete
CS
Chuck_Snyder
Jan 26, 2004
Pete, nice day here, too; sitting in shorts and a t-shirt with a nice breeze coming in the open back door.

But wait until June/July/August….then I’ll be the one with cabin fever.
PD
Pete_D
Jan 26, 2004
Chuck,

The sensor for my outdoor thermometer is in the shade and it is now 79.8 degrees. A little breezy at times. I have always and still do like the summer months too.

I remember times like in Dick’s pictures. And times with the black ice grant referred to. That is why I am here.

Pete
EW
Ed_Wurster
Jan 26, 2004
wrote:
Dick, I hope it’s not pulling down any wires. We had one of those in Philadelphia when I was a kid (yes, Jodi, we did have electricity then) and it was quite a sight….

Chuck

The snow I remember was much deeper than we had back in those days.

Do you remember this:

http://www.wizov.com/oldpix/handh.jpg

Ed
CS
Chuck_Snyder
Jan 26, 2004
Ed, the Automat! Sure I remember them!! Thanks for the memory….

Chuck
DS
Dick_Smith
Jan 26, 2004
Well,

This is a rare occurence here in the Asheville area. We get a couple of snows each winter, this one has had more ice with it than most.

I remember all of that stuff in Michigan. We moved here cuz the winters were shorter. Today it would be hard to convince anyone. And, they are calling for more tomorrow.

Maybe Pete I need to move again!
R
Ray
Jan 26, 2004
Dick, you made very nice pictures ! My prefered is the first one.

Ray
PD
Pete_D
Jan 27, 2004
Maybe Pete, I need to move again!

Dick,

You probably know its a matter of how many months of winter you can deal with. Where I started from in Pa it had only 3-3 1/2 months of "usable" summer meaning nighttime temperature above 50 and absolutely no chance of snow or icy roads. (so you can sit outside,… you know).

Move into the Carolinas and you can maybe double that to 6-8 months. Georgia 9-10 months and then as you move south into north Florida you get up to 10-11 but all the aforementioned areas can get at least snow flurries, ice and hard frosts.

South Florida goes to 11-11 1/2. (this is an 11 1/2 year:) Plus down here you totally eliminate snow, ice and even frost:):)

Pete
JF
Jodi_Frye
Jan 27, 2004
ya and in the summer you get to watch yourself melt on the sidewalk. Florida is good for February vacations…unless of course you like feeling like a slimy piece of gum on the sidewalk…oh and don’t forget,,,ya can’t breathe for most of the summer unless you can find a sharp knife to cut through the heaping humidity. Then again, be like a floridian and spend your entire summer indoors in AC or be like a whale and stay in the water…which is still piss warm. Sorry Pete…it had to be said…been there, done that, lived that…survived that…came back…thank God !
JC
Jane_Carter
Jan 27, 2004
Hi Dick, I think we have something coming up our way too, SE New England is going to get some of this. Your pictures look like the rigging on some of our local fishing boats when they come home.
Ice is very dangerous for them, and us too.
We are forcast for just snow, but my husband has fuel for the generator, and we have coal and wood to back up when the power goes out. People know that they can come over here and get warm if things get really bad.
But the more we prepare, the less we get, so this time we are prepared,,,,,,,lets see what happens, Jane
DS
Dick_Smith
Jan 27, 2004
Believe it or not, the temp is up to 30F. now. It started out at 23 this morning. They say it will continue to rise and then nosedive again tomorrow night.

Jane, I hope it passes you by real quickly. Our North Eastham friends are leaving there on Wednesday headed out way.

Ray, I’m kind of patial to that one as well. It would have been super if the sun had appeared sometime today. That ice would have shimmered. Maybe in the morning.

Dick
JC
Jane_Carter
Jan 27, 2004
Ah, that is good to know, we have plenty of food and drink for guests if needed. But if all we get is a bit of snow, I can study PSE and we can take it easy and walk the dogs to the beach and hang out.
I am taking a class in PSE filters and PSE plug in filters, somewhat time consuming but GREAT fun, so might not complain to be indoors a bit.
Jane
PD
Pete_D
Jan 27, 2004
…survived that…came back…thank God !

Good for you Jodi. Florida is not for everyone.

But do not discourage anyone that wants to eliminate ice and snow.

Pete
BB
Barbara_Brundage
Jan 27, 2004
Be fair, Pete. I remember the day it snowed in Miami back in 1978 or thereabouts. (You had to look really quick, but I happened to be driving someplace with my mother and we stopped the car to look at the couple of snowflakes that fell on the windshield.)
PD
Pete_D
Jan 27, 2004
Barbara,

Snow in Miami? Yikes!
BB
Barbara_Brundage
Jan 27, 2004
Yes, January 19, 1977. Just looked it up. It snowed for maybe 5 minutes if you looked very carefully.
JF
Jodi_Frye
Jan 27, 2004
Pete, sorry, wasn’t trying to ‘discourage’ anyone. Merely pointing out that winters in Florida sure beat the deep freeze of the north…HOWEVER…being in a steam bath most of the year isn’t heaven either. I’ve known quita a few people that moved down and came right back up. I suggest anyone who is ‘thinking’ ’bout moving to florida should visit during the summer months….to get a taste of florida reality. As you said, it’s a matter of opinion…it’s not for everyone. Having you come here from florida brings me sunshine though 😉
PD
Pete_D
Jan 27, 2004
Barbara,

I stand corrected about totally eliminating snow in south Florida. I intend on packing a bag and having it readily available in the event that happens again.

(But just as I loosely define summer to meet my own comfort levels I really think snow is something more like those pictures Dick posted:)

Pete
CS
Chuck_Snyder
Jan 27, 2004
Jodi, the trick is to move with the seasons – the population of South Texas swells right after Thanksgiving and drops back around the first of April…snowbirds!
PD
Pete_D
Jan 27, 2004
Yeah Chuck,

Here too on the winter bulge.

And Jodi, I actually do not like to see any more people move here because Rt 41 is impossible to use this time of year and our water supplies are being strained. Worst of all, what was a secluded 1/2 acre that I built on has become a street with ten houses and hundreds more on the surrounding streets:(

This city has grown from 12,000 to 38,000 in the short time I have been here. New people are delighted with home values doubling in the last 4 years but they do not realize what that is doing to our lifestyle here.

But when all is said and done….. no snow! …. (except that time in 1977 Barbara:):)

pete
JF
Jodi_Frye
Jan 27, 2004
Chuck, Oh ya, snowbirds…I guess that is the way to do it if ya got a couple of houses handy 😉

So Pete, are you like totally pissed off at me now ? sorry ;( …really wasn’t thinking you’d take it personally.
JF
Jodi_Frye
Jan 27, 2004
Pete, ok, i see you post now….wasn’t there before..so you are still talking to me 🙂 good <kiss>
PD
Pete_D
Jan 27, 2004
Jodi,

I take very few things personally:) And certainly not your dislike of Florida.

(But I remember times you asking me to send some warmer air and sunshine).

pete
JF
Jodi_Frye
Jan 27, 2004
well of course…you really need to learn to share some of that 😉
DS
Dick_Smith
Jan 27, 2004
Chuck and Pete, here it’s the reverse. Start to see lots of FL and TX cars starting in April and they’re gone sometime in early November.

Then we get down to living life as we knew it!
GD
Grant_Dixon
Jan 27, 2004
We had a bit of snow last night so I had to get up early to dig a path out of our driveway

http://www.edu.gov.nf.ca/snow/photo.htm

Ok so it is not my drive way or even my province but it is a part of Canada

g.
JF
Jodi_Frye
Jan 27, 2004
that’s what our driveway in Quebec looked like….when i was 2 ;)….later on we dug tunnels and had under snow forts. I loved winter back then. What happened to me ?
GD
Grant_Dixon
Jan 27, 2004
There is a big difference between digging tunnels for snow forts and digging cars out to go to work, that’s what happened Jodi. While I love winter this is the fourth dig out in about 3 weeks and that is a bit to much, even for me.

g.
J
john
Jan 27, 2004
Grant: We had a bit of snow last night so I had to get up early to dig
a path out of our driveway. (http://www.edu.gov.nf.ca/snow/photo.htm) Ok so it is not my drive way or even my province but it is a part of Canada.

Yeah, yeah. Wimps. My driveway looked like that this morning and I dug out by HAND. ALONE. Then my wife (who watched from the window) fed me a nice three-egg omelette.

Considering my family history of heart disease and that fat insurance policy, should I be worried? 🙂
GD
Grant_Dixon
Jan 27, 2004
John

Should you be worried? Depends on whether the omelette was a cheese or mushroom one!

Now as far as you tale of snow goes … I bet when you were a kid in the winter you walked 10 miles to school through 5 foot snow drifts, up hill … both ways.

g.
DS
Dick_Smith
Jan 27, 2004
Up hill both ways? Definitely!

And I do remember a winter back in the 40’s when we could dig tunnels and make caves in the snow pushed up by the plows. Think the child protection people would have afit over that today!
J
john
Jan 27, 2004
Grant: Now as far as you tale of snow goes … I bet when you were a
kid in the winter you walked 10 miles to school through 5 foot snow drifts, up hill … both ways.

Barefoot.

And it was a cheese omelette. 😉
GD
Grant_Dixon
Jan 27, 2004
Barefoot, eh!

You should be able to handle a cheese omelette then but avoid the paper thin wafer.

g.
LK
Leen_Koper
Jan 27, 2004
Grant, you are sure people do live under these conditions? On second thoughts, I would prefer this over a bunch of alligators. 😉

Leen
BB
Barbara_Brundage
Jan 27, 2004
On second thoughts, I would prefer this over a bunch of alligators.

Nah, Leen. All you have to do about alligators is to avoid them. I never did figure out how to avoid snow when I was up north. 8^)
BG
Byron Gale
Jan 27, 2004
John,

Where did you get the fat insurance?

Please advise!!! 😉

Byron
BG
Byron Gale
Jan 27, 2004
Grant,

LOL!

"Look! Howard’s being eaten!!"

Byron
LK
Leen_Koper
Jan 27, 2004
Barbara, I don’t know how fast an alligator can do the first 100 meters, but it takes me at least about 16 seconds.
😉

Leen
J
john
Jan 27, 2004
Byron: Where did you get the fat insurance?

:)! It’s not a policy that pays if I get fat (I’m not sure ANY insurance company would entertain such a thing, especially for us North Americans). It’s a policy that has a fat payoff if I croak! (And I’m kidding, of course).

Although I’m not big on shovelling snow and endless days of bitter cold, I’m not sure I like the reverse any better. We were in Italy during the European heat wave the summer before last and had endless days of high 30’s and low 40’s Celcius in Florence (over 100 Farenheit). Not dry heat, either. And what surprised us the most, (having no air conditioning and no screens on the windows which we opened at night) was the hoards of mosquitos. Later, reading historical accounts of sieges in Tuscany being abandoned due to crippling outbreaks of malaria, it all made sense. I’d love to go back to Italy, but in a more temperate season.
GD
Grant_Dixon
Jan 27, 2004
Well

All that shovelling made me tired so I had a nice nap. I am fully awake and stetting here looking out my window as the skies have opened up yet again. It has started to snow again. Big fluffy flake the kind that really mean business …. well do I start shovelling now or wait a bit? NOT FUNNY …..

G.
JF
Jodi_Frye
Jan 27, 2004
pay a kid to do it 😉
PD
Pete_D
Jan 27, 2004
Barbara, I don’t know how fast an alligator can do the first 100 meters,
but it takes me at least about 16 seconds.

Leen,

You don’t need to be faster than an alligator;….. just need to be faster then the person that is with you:-)
GD
Grant_Dixon
Jan 27, 2004
Leen,

I am told that an alligator can hit speed so of 35 m/h ( 60Km/h ) for short distances. I would suspect it is not a good idea to put this one to the test. In this instance the spoils that go to the victor may just be you.

g.
GD
Grant_Dixon
Jan 27, 2004
Sorry I just have to share this one and maybe it will tell you a bit about the Canadian attitude towards winter.

I mentioned earlier that it is once again snowing we already have a couple of feet of the white sh*t on the ground. I am just sitting here and the phone range. I picked it up and it is a sales man and he is selling …. are you ready for this … lawn care and weed control. So I said to him "Look we have a blizzard going on and your selling lawn care?" His response was "Well it is never to early to get a jump on spring!" You gust got to love this mans attitude.

g
JF
Jodi_Frye
Jan 27, 2004
Time for Caller ID Grant. ‘ Unavaialble’ is what you get on the screen when phone solicitors call.’ Also, if there is a hesitation after you say ‘hello’ usually it’s them ! I don’t assume ‘unavailable’ is spam phone but when you get that hesitation too…then you know for sure. …Unless of course, ….you enjoy talking to these people. I cannot stand it.
CS
Chuck_Snyder
Jan 27, 2004
The Do Not Call Registry has worked fairly well here; still a few outlaws, but of course I treat them with great respect and admiration…. 😉

Must-have mockup pack for every graphic designer 🔥🔥🔥

Easy-to-use drag-n-drop Photoshop scene creator with more than 2800 items.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections