L
Posted By
linda
Aug 24, 2004
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
It just started. When I save for web using normal letters and number I am now getting a warning that says:

Some names of the files being saved contain non-Latin characters. These file names will be incompatible with some Web browsers and servers.

I never used to get this warning. No matter what I name my files, I still get the warning.

How to Master Sharpening in Photoshop

Give your photos a professional finish with sharpening in Photoshop. Learn to enhance details, create contrast, and prepare your images for print, web, and social media.

EH
Ed_Hannigan
Aug 24, 2004
Have you changed the name of your hard drive?

Did you try trashing SFW prefs?
R
Ram
Aug 24, 2004
Linda,

Did you check the name of anything in the path (folders, drives)?

Sometimes an inadvertently held down modifier key might try to insert something other than a plain space. A curly apostrophe will do it too.
L
linda
Aug 25, 2004
I haven’t changed the name of my hard drive Ed. I’ll try trashing the SWF prefs.

I don’t think so Ramon… only normal letters and numbers.
L
linda
Aug 25, 2004
I am discouraged… Anyway… I trashed the preferences. There is an _ in some of these files I am trying to automate, such as CRW_5328.CRW. There are hundreds of photos I have to process for a client’s gallery. Seems everything I do is like pulling teeth to get it to work right. Enough said…
S
Skua
Aug 25, 2004
The underscore character ( _ ) shouldn’t cause that error message. I’ve got thousands of files containing that character and I don’t get that message.

(edit) But then, I’m not saving for the web, either…
L
linda
Aug 25, 2004
Thanks Skua…
NK
Neil_Keller
Aug 25, 2004
Linda,

I use CS and Mac OS 10.3.5 on one machine. "Save for Web…" is not affected by the OS. Carefully check file names to make sure nothing other than 0-9, A-Z, a-z, _ or . or – are used. No slashes, spaces, But so far I haven’t seen that error message under the circumstances you decribe.

What happens if you create a new small file on your desktop, name it, and then try to Save for Web… to your desktop?

Neil
L
linda
Aug 25, 2004
Neil,

I have checked my file names. I just placed a camera raw file on my desktop and renamed it child.CRW. This time it saved for web without the warning. I then took a camera RAW file and first saved it as a PSD file, followed by save for web. It too did not give me a warning. But if I save from Web from an opened camera raw file I do get the warning. I thought yesterday that there were all kinds of files doing this. Now it seems it might be just the camera raw files.
L
linda
Aug 25, 2004
I just tried saving it as a psd first then followed by save for web. Got the same warning.
NK
Neil_Keller
Aug 25, 2004
Linda,

At this point, I’m still shooting "analog" Ektachrome 100G and use a Nikon 8000 scanner. So I have no hands-on experience with RAW format.

But apparently something not right with your open RAW files. Or with your RAW plug-in. Try a trash/reinstall and see what happens.

Neil
B
Buko
Aug 25, 2004
I had some goofyness with my RAW files after I did a CCC of my system when I got a bigger drive. What solved it was an archive and install then update to most current system
L
linda
Aug 25, 2004
Thanks for your help Neil. I appreciate the effort. Maybe I should try reinstalling my RAW plug-in. Time is running out though so I might need to work around it in order to get these client galleries up before next week… PSWorld…

Thanks Buko… at least I know I’m not the only one whose had this happen.
L
linda
Aug 25, 2004
I don’t know what I’m doing wrong but I can’t get my custom Actions to work on any of my batches of RAW files. I’ve done this in the past and never had so much trouble. Also each time I go to run a Batch it reverts back to the wrong folders.
EH
Ed_Hannigan
Aug 25, 2004
I don’t have an answer for the actions, but I wonder if you can Save Optimized out of ImageReady instead of Save for Web?

Something wacky with your machine I think.
L
linda
Aug 25, 2004
Thanks Ed. On the last batch I did them one at a time. I will try ImageReady next.

How to Improve Photoshop Performance

Learn how to optimize Photoshop for maximum speed, troubleshoot common issues, and keep your projects organized so that you can work faster than ever before!

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections