‘save as web’ -> "couldn’t complete operation. File not found" ???

DH
Posted By
David_Hageseth
Aug 24, 2004
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
in photoshop, i’m trying to simply Save for Web on an image – everything’s fine until i choose a destination and hit the Save button – then a dialog pops up saying:

"Could not complete this operation. The File could not be found"

this file saves fine on other macs with identical setups – i dumped all prefs/support files, and the app and reinstalled PS/IR from scratch and STILL got the same message!! any ideas???

thanks VERY much in advance!
d

Must-have mockup pack for every graphic designer 🔥🔥🔥

Easy-to-use drag-n-drop Photoshop scene creator with more than 2800 items.

AS
Ann_Shelbourne
Aug 24, 2004
This can happen if you are using UNIX-forbidden characters in your file, folder or HD names.
DH
David_Hageseth
Aug 24, 2004
the filename is ‘notes.jpg’ – which i renamed just in case it had any hidden chars. it’s on the desktop in a partition called ‘osX’ so i don’t think that’s the case.. thx tho
R
Ram
Aug 24, 2004
David,

The whole path counts: files, folders, drives.

Are you saving over a network? (Don’t!)
DH
David_Hageseth
Aug 25, 2004
path: osX/Applcations/Photoshop/notes.jpg

it can’t get any more basic than that! trying calling tech support, but 2 guys literally had NO clue…

this is very important and will *definately* move me away from photoshop/IR to something like graphic converter scripting. i had a hard time believing that adobe is like ‘huh’
AS
Ann_Shelbourne
Aug 25, 2004
It could well be a Permissions problem.
Did you follow the advice to "Repair Permissions"? And how long is it since you ran Cocktail?
DH
David_Hageseth
Aug 25, 2004
ran all the tests from Maintain, and just repaired permissions after going up to macOS 10.3.5 last week. i suppose i could see if there’s a log file that recorded any useful info..
R
Ram
Aug 25, 2004
Try quitting Photoshop and deleting the Save For Web preferences file. Relaunch.
DH
David_Hageseth
Aug 25, 2004
ramon: nope no go. thanks for the tip tho
BN
Barbara_Nitke
Aug 26, 2004
Just as an FYI, I was having a similar problem and read this thread. My problem was that I could not complete a web gallery command. Spoke to three different photoshop tech guys who couldn’t figure it out.

Ann Shelbourne got it. With the web gallery command, Photoshop automatically fills in today’s date, using forward slashes such as 8/25/04.

When I took out the forward slashes, the web gallery command started working. You might be having a similar situation, David.

Good luck –

Barb
BN
Barbara_Nitke
Aug 26, 2004
Sorry guys –

I got excited and spoke too soon. That didn’t solve it after all.

Barb

How to Master Sharpening in Photoshop

Give your photos a professional finish with sharpening in Photoshop. Learn to enhance details, create contrast, and prepare your images for print, web, and social media.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections