CP
Posted By
Colleen_Post
Aug 24, 2004
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
Have a woodgrain image, trying to make text look like it’s carved into the surface. Photoshop WOW! book sez to copy my text and "paste it into a scan of a piece of wood: Edit/Paste/Paste As pixels. I do not have this "Paste as pixels" option and it seems this is the command that makes the letters take on the surface of the wood. Of course I will be using a layer style using shadows and emboss effects too. But it seems "paste as pixels" is a submenu after you select Edit/paste, but I don’t get it with Photoshop 7. Also looking for a "paste as shape layer" command but can’t find. Can anyone help?

Must-have mockup pack for every graphic designer 🔥🔥🔥

Easy-to-use drag-n-drop Photoshop scene creator with more than 2800 items.

KN
Ken_Nielsen
Aug 24, 2004
What version of Photoshop is the Photoshop WOW book using?

Here is a reference from Help for Photoshop CS:

To paste PostScript artwork from another application:
In the supporting application, select your artwork, and choose Edit > Copy. (See About file formats.)
In Photoshop or ImageReady, select the image into which you’ll paste the selection. Choose Edit > Paste.
(Photoshop) In the dialog box, select from the following options: Paste as Pixels to have the artwork rasterized as it is pasted. Rasterizing converts mathematically defined vector artwork to pixels.
Paste as Paths to paste the copy as a path in the Paths palette. When copying type from Illustrator, you must first convert it to outlines.
Paste as Shape Layer to create a new shape layer that uses the path as a vector mask.
CP
Colleen_Post
Aug 24, 2004
Hi Ken,
The book is for Photoshop 6.
I don’t get, and have never gotten, a dialog box when I use the paste command. Also, when I paste anything into Photoshop it always puts it on its own layer. How do I paste something directly into another image?
Thanks for your reply.
KN
Ken_Nielsen
Aug 24, 2004
Command-E will flatten the layers, giving you a composite image. Always work with copies of a file so you can revert to the layered version if you get stuck.

Note above that it says ‘pasting Postscript art from another application.’ This is the only reference I find in Help for ‘Paste As Pixels.’ The Photoshop WOW Book series has been very popular for years, and they should have their own web site and even possibly a forum. As I remember, the projects in the WOW books show neat results but leave holes in the steps of the process, as you are finding out now.

Go to WOW and see if you can get a better answer to fit the project you are working on – is the way I would do it.
CP
Colleen_Post
Aug 24, 2004
Thanks Ken, I will try that.

How to Master Sharpening in Photoshop

Give your photos a professional finish with sharpening in Photoshop. Learn to enhance details, create contrast, and prepare your images for print, web, and social media.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections