NG
Posted By
Nick_G_Walker
Aug 23, 2004
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
Is it safe to rename camera raw files or should the file name provided by the camera be left intact ?

I read somtime back, by one of our Photoshop gurus, that original raw files should not be altered in anyway. A specific mention related to metadata but I am not sure if this advice extends to renaming camera raw files?

Nick

Master Retouching Hair

Learn how to rescue details, remove flyaways, add volume, and enhance the definition of hair in any photo. We break down every tool and technique in Photoshop to get picture-perfect hair, every time.

NK
Neil_Keller
Aug 23, 2004
Nick,

Is there a particular reason you need to rename them?

Neil
NG
Nick_G_Walker
Aug 23, 2004
Neil,

Continuity with all Tiff and Jpeg files saved from the camera raw file.

I thought it would be easier to pick up the number from a Tiff file, open the raw archival folder and carry out a search for the corresponding raw file number.

Although my archived Tiff files are laden with metadata, keywords, etc, I might need to locate a specific raw file, out of a library of thousands, to rework in the future.

As it is not recommended to add metadata to raw files it does not make sense to have two different serial numbers for the same image, as I would be scrolling through a browser amongst thousands of images to locate the file visually even with the aide of natural memory locators.

Adding the raw file referrence number in the converted files metadata is not an option due to the time taken to hand type each number.

Regards

Nick
R
Ram
Aug 23, 2004
it does not make sense to have two different serial numbers for the same image

Rename the TIFF files instead?
NG
Nick_G_Walker
Aug 24, 2004
Ramon

Do you mean renaming the Tiffs to the number provide by Canon such as B6H12345?

To date I have been reneming the Tiffs with rolling numbers starting 00001 which do not corespond in any way whatsoever to the raw files. I am embeding very detailed keywords (pre saved lists) and metadata into the Tiff files.

Ideally if I am going to use a differnet serial number for the converted files I should look up each raw file name and type this into the file info for cross reference purposes. I dread to think how much extra time this will take.

Surely it makes sense to batch rename a folder of camera raw files, a swift process, before doing anything else as each saved Tiff and jpeg will hold the same number from the ‘digital negative’ without having to cross referrence numbers?

Due to their small file sizes I am also contemplating embeding detailed metadata to a second back up raw file folder using pre saved metadata templates from the moment the images are downloaded. Adding metadata to 16 bit Tiff files within the browser whilst on the road using a Powerbook 1.5 when I am tyring to compete with agencies who only shoot jpegs is a night mare as their worklow is so much quicker.

I prefer to shoot raw as I understand the benefits but also need to speed up my workflow which for raw is pretty fast except for the tedium of adding metadata templates, etc.
If I only add the metadata template to the medium jpeg in order to try and compete time wise on the tournament day I have to repeat the metadata process all over again with the Tiff files.

Nick

How to Improve Photoshop Performance

Learn how to optimize Photoshop for maximum speed, troubleshoot common issues, and keep your projects organized so that you can work faster than ever before!

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections