R
Posted By
Ram
Aug 19, 2004
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
Does anyone have experience with heraldic illustrations in Photoshop?

I’m wondering if there are any standards or even common suggestions as to what RGB colors to use to reproduce the definitions of the tinctures in English or European heraldry [gules (red), azur (blue), sable (black), vert (green), purpure (purple, sanguine (rust, dried blood)]. The two metals are easy, of course, use white for argent (silver), yellow or old gold for Or (gold).

For instance, illustrators are directed to use vermillion paints or inks to render gules (red), etc. Perhaps in this age of digital illustrations there are norms for the numbers in RGB colors. A Google search found quite a few hits, but I wonder how authoritative they are.

This one looks good to my eyes:

<http://s94890834.onlinehome.us/Heraldry/herGeneral01.html>

(Still, it’s missing sanguine.)

Any thoughts?

MacBook Pro 16” Mockups 🔥

– in 4 materials (clay versions included)

– 12 scenes

– 48 MacBook Pro 16″ mockups

– 6000 x 4500 px

KN
Ken_Nielsen
Aug 19, 2004
Are you starting a new business? Take eyedropper readings of the hexadecimal coded colors and record them in a color palette that you can use when creating new coats of arms. You will be the final authority on authenticity for color, so I imagine you will have to do a lot of homework to arrive at best colors based on your research.

Post some of your creations here if you can, so we can see the results of your work.

Thanks,

Ken
R
Ram
Aug 19, 2004
Found sanguine on the link above once I clicked the next button. :")
R
Ram
Aug 19, 2004
Ken,

Take eyedropper readings of the hexadecimal coded colors…

If you’re referring to the colors shown in that link, I don’t have to use any eyedropper. The numbers are right there already, below each shield. 😀

My question is precisely whether anyone has used these color numbers in a commissioned job or otherwise.
AS
Ann_Shelbourne
Aug 19, 2004
There is a lot of latitude:

<< For instance, a coat of arms which has its field tinctured gules should be recognized by the casual observer as red. The exact value and tint or shade of red is at the discretion of the artist or owner of the arms. However, it should not be so dark as to confuse it with sanguine and it should neither be pink nor pastle.>>

But:
<< Although there is some latitude in the actual value of a tincture, on any given coat of arms the same color value for a tincture should be used throughout. Thus, multiple charges on a shield which are tinctured Azure should all use the same value and tint or shade of blue. Any other part of the coat which is tinctured azure is required to use this same version of blue. >>

Sanguine (blood) is basically crimson but was probably originally Madder. <http://webexhibits.org/pigments/indiv/history/alizarin.html> <http://dictionary.reference.com/search?q=sanguine>
R
Ram
Aug 19, 2004
Ann,

Thank you very much for your input.

Re your first cite: I’d be highly mistrustful of a work that refers to an achievement of arms as a coat of arms. It’s highly unlikely that someone versed in the art of blazonry would commit such a layman’s faux pas.

I happen to have access to a number of 16th, 17th 1nd 18th century original illustrated manuscripts. While sanguine does vary significantly among the various illustrations, gules appears remarkably consistent across all achievements of arms. To my eyes it definitely looks like vermillion, rather than crimson, but then again, I may have the terminology wrong. To me, crimson is a deeper, more purplish red than the bright vermillion I see used for gules in (Continental) European heraldry, which goes more towards orange than purple.

Thanks once again.
AS
Ann_Shelbourne
Aug 19, 2004
Gules probably was vermillion.

Sanguine should be more like blood (Blue-blood to boot?!). They probably used madder during the middle ages—they didn’t have too many pigments available to them at that time.
R
Ram
Aug 19, 2004
Ann,

Sanguine should be more like blood (Blue-blood to boot?!).

They probably used madder during the middle ages

Sanguine is a relatively modern tincture that doesn’t show up in Heraldry until the 17th century or so. It’s actually a lot more like reddish rust, but, as I said, it varies considerably across different illustrations. Not like gules, vert or azur, which remain pretty consistent.

[EDITED to add: in Heraldry]
R
Ram
Aug 19, 2004
Actually, it just occurred to me that this kind of thing is better done in Illustrator. It’s a natural. I haven’t used it for so long that I seldom think about it. I upgraded through Illustrator 9.x, but I believe I actually stopped using it when I was at 5.5, a long time ago.
AS
Ann_Shelbourne
Aug 20, 2004
You may find more info. about the College of Arms and Heraldry here if you need it: < http://www.burkes-peerage.net/sites/common/sitepages/re_hera ldry.asp>

<< Heraldry is the study or classification of armorial bearings and coats of arms.

In England the recognition and granting of coats of arms is overseen by the College of Arms in London. This official body originated in early mediaeval times when knights bore arms on their shield and helmet for identification during tournaments. Royal heralds, who ran these tournaments, soon became experts on these hereditary arms and consequently the genealogy of each knight’s family. >>

and:
< http://www.burkes-peerage.net/sites/common/sitepages/re_coll egeofarms.asp>

<< By now the granting and use of coats of arms in England had come under the supervision of a body of heralds called the College of Arms, which had been set up under royal authority in 1483. >>

<< The College of Arms is located in Queen Victoria Street, London on land bequeathed to the heralds by Queen Mary Tudor in 1555. The original building was raised to the ground in the Great Fire of London, but happily the records were not lost and now reside along with later documents in the current building, built in 1671-88. >>

The current chief Herald ( "Garter") is Peter Wynn-Jones and is a personal friend of my husband.
R
Ram
Aug 20, 2004
Thanks for the links, Ann.

The College of Arms web site has the answer:

Q. What are the pantone numbers for the colours used in heraldry?

A. There are no fixed shades for heraldic colours. If the official description of a coat of arms gives its tinctures as Gules (red), Azure (blue) and Argent (white or silver) then, as long as the blue is not too light and the red not too orange, purple or pink, it is up to the artist to decide which particular shades they think are appropriate.

It looks like the standards are more relaxed these days. I see they’ve even accepted the terms "coat of arms", for which we would have gotten a ruler smacked across the hands in school. 🙂 In the "olden" days an achievement of arms was not a coat of arms unless it was really painted, printed or embroidered on the coat a knight would wear over his armor to keep it from cooking him alive in the blistering sun.

How to Improve Photoshop Performance

Learn how to optimize Photoshop for maximum speed, troubleshoot common issues, and keep your projects organized so that you can work faster than ever before!

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections