TB
Posted By
Terry Boyles
Jan 22, 2004
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
I cannot seem to easily get my subject in the center of selection when trying to make either an oval or round selection. Seems as tho I am always one side or the other, or either to high or to low. Kinda frustrating. Could one of you fine gurus help out with this.

Terry

MacBook Pro 16” Mockups 🔥

– in 4 materials (clay versions included)

– 12 scenes

– 48 MacBook Pro 16″ mockups

– 6000 x 4500 px

JF
Jodi_Frye
Jan 22, 2004
Terry, i’m not a guru but good trick is to hold down the space bar while positioning your selection. Holding down shift key at same time will give a perfect circle….this works with all tools alike and shapes as well.
TB
Terry Boyles
Jan 22, 2004
Hi Jodi,
I knew about the shift key making the circle but was not aware that the space bar for positioning. Will have to try that out when I get home. At work right now. Thank yor very much.
Terry

PS Viewing your very fine work and reading all your posts, you are very much the guru in my book.
MR
Mark_Reibman
Jan 22, 2004
Integrate the use of the space bar and it will be much easier. It’s the secret to controlling the marque tool. You will need to let go of the space bar to resize. Experiment..you’ll see what I mean.
JF
Jodi_Frye
Jan 22, 2004
Terry me …ha !

ya…

G~ girl
U~under
R~reformed
U~unity

ya that’s it
EW
Ed_Wurster
Jan 22, 2004
"Terry Boyles" wrote in message
I cannot seem to easily get my subject in the center of selection when
trying to make either an oval or round selection. Seems as tho I am always one side or the other, or either to high or to low. Kinda frustrating. Could one of you fine gurus help out with this.
Terry

Most graphics programs use modifier key (ALT on PC) that let you draw from the center rather than setting a corner.

Draws marquee or shape from center
Alt + drag

So you would hold down ALT (or Command on Mac) and click on the person’s nose, and then drag out from the center.

For a round selection, also use the SHIFT key.

Ed
DS
Dick_Smith
Jan 22, 2004
Good Tip, Ed. Works very well. Position cursor in the middle of the area you want to put inside the elipse and hold the alt key while dragging. For circles just press the shift key first then the alt and then drag.

Dick
TB
Terry Boyles
Jan 23, 2004
Really great tips from everyone!! I’ll bet that I am not the only one that benifited from this. Thanks everyone
Terry
R
ruizpaul
Jan 23, 2004
After you form the marquee, you may HOLD DOWN the arrow keys to move the marquee. Be patient. It moves slowly.

Paul
WE
Wendy_E_Williams
Jan 23, 2004
If you want to move your selection quicker then:

Make sure that"new selection"is clicked (the marquee symbols … top of the screen left hand side)
Move your cursor to the centre of the selection
The cursor symbol will change
and you can move the selction around the screen

Wendy
DS
Dick_Smith
Jan 24, 2004
Paul’s suggestion about the arrow keys is a good one. Somewhere or another I think I remember that process called "nudging". If so that’s a good term for it since each click of the arrow key nudges the image one pixel in whichever direction.

How to Improve Photoshop Performance

Learn how to optimize Photoshop for maximum speed, troubleshoot common issues, and keep your projects organized so that you can work faster than ever before!

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections