JA
Posted By
james_a_gilbert
Aug 18, 2004
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
Im looking to create a halftone image, but instead of using the standard circle, oval, or elipse etc is there any way i can use another custom shape? ie a small bitmap or vector/logo from illustrator? It might even be that someone knows of a plug in that can help? Thanks…

MacBook Pro 16” Mockups 🔥

– in 4 materials (clay versions included)

– 12 scenes

– 48 MacBook Pro 16″ mockups

– 6000 x 4500 px

DK
Doug_Katz
Aug 18, 2004
Make your custom shape. Define it as a pattern (Edit>Define pattern). Convert your image to Bitmap (Image>Mode>Bitmap). Set the Use (Method>Use) to Custom, and select your newly defined pattern in the drop down menu. Press OK.
JA
james_a_gilbert
Aug 18, 2004
hey thanks for that…very useful, but do you know how i can do it more like the traditional circle halftone, where the image is craeted by varying sizes of my bitmap, rather than just one size…or is it actually doing this already and the bitmap i am using just looks wrong? The bitmap is just a capital B.
PC
Pierre_Courtejoie
Aug 18, 2004
This operation is a bit old (as you can see the photoshop versions it was written for) <http://www.gurusnetwork.com/kpt/tip/20/>
Indeed, the custom pattern will not be scaled but rather blended with the original image. Indeed it would be nice to have such an effect…
Maybe could you try to post in the Features Request section to submit that?
AS
Ann_Shelbourne
Aug 18, 2004
David Blatner gave instructions for doing this in his "Real World Scanning & Halftones".

It involves hacking PostScript code!

Go to Print with Preview; click "Screen":
Uncheck "Use Printer’s default" and choose Shape=Custom.

The Custom Spot Shape dialog will open.

To make a screen which uses little black circles instead of dots you would type:

{dup mul exch dup mul add 0.6 exch sub abs-0.5 mul} bind def

David’s book shows many other examples with which you could experiment.

MacBook Pro 16” Mockups 🔥

– in 4 materials (clay versions included)

– 12 scenes

– 48 MacBook Pro 16″ mockups

– 6000 x 4500 px

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections