DB
Posted By
Dave_Buren
Jan 21, 2004
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
I am a newbie Elements user, and am overwhelmed with the intuitive and powerful PSE but cannot find a way to modify the medium compression of the auto convert feature for email attachments. It is too large of a file, and email recipients must use the side and bottom scroll bars to view. Is there a way to modify the auto convert??

MacBook Pro 16” Mockups 🔥

– in 4 materials (clay versions included)

– 12 scenes

– 48 MacBook Pro 16″ mockups

– 6000 x 4500 px

JH
Jim_Hess
Jan 21, 2004
I think the best way to handle this is to make a copy of your original picture, and then reduce the size of the copy to something like 640×480. Then prepare that image to include in your e-mail.
NS
Nancy_S
Jan 21, 2004
Or maybe just a little smaller than that so folks using the 640×480 resolution on their monitor don’t have to scroll to see the image in its entirety.
JH
Jim_Hess
Jan 21, 2004
Good call, Nancy. I have become so accustomed to running in higher resolutions that I can’t even imagine why anyone would ever want to use a computer in 640×480 mode. But I guess there are still some people, including those with visual impairments, who may require the lower resolution.
NS
Nancy_S
Jan 21, 2004
Dave Buren,

made a mistake on my numbers in earlier post, meant to say 800×600 screen res.

One would accomplish this by;
* image is open
* go to Image>Resize>Image Size
* make sure the boxes are checked for constrain and resample * change only ONE variable, such as typing in 600 if the image is in landscape orientation OR for a portrait orientation type in only 500 for the height
* OK this
* depending on the aspect ratio of your image, you may need to crop a little * to crop a bit; use rectangular marquee tool, set to Fixed size, enter the desired dimensions (one of them will already be correct from doing the image resizing), click on image in workarea, drag the resulting box to position it, go to Image>Crop, use SAVE FOR WEB and choose the quality of jpg you desire.
NS
Nancy_S
Jan 21, 2004
whoops, double posted, I erased it
NS
Nancy_S
Jan 21, 2004
Jim,

My monitor doesn’t go below 800×600, I didn’t know the lower one existed!
JH
Jim_Hess
Jan 21, 2004
I think it depends a lot on your video card. I’m using Windows 2000 here at work with a 17 inch CRT, and I can reduce my resolution to 640×480. I can’t remember what my lowest resolution is at home.
NS
Nancy_S
Jan 21, 2004
Dave,

….and, after you save that image as the jpg. When you OK that, you will be back to the .psd (presumably .psd) on your workarea. Since you probably don’t want to have your image permanently smaller, like the jpg dimensions, when asked if you want to save changes, answer NO.
BH
Beth_Haney
Jan 21, 2004
I have 640 X 480 listed as an option on this laptop, too. Egad, I can’t imagine running it at that!
NS
Nancy_S
Jan 21, 2004
Jim,

You’re probably right about the video card. When I ordered this computer I had them put in a 128 DDR ATI Radeon 9800, which was quite expensive.
DB
Dave_Buren
Jan 22, 2004
Thanks to all, esp. Nancy for the good advice. I use a rather lame MS PictureIt which automatically converts any size file to a standard 460 x 680 email attachment. Too bad PSE doesn’t allow flexibility for auto converts. Thanks again.
JH
Jim_Hess
Jan 22, 2004
If you use the Batch Processing option, one of your choices is to "Convert Image Size". I have used this to convert a number of images to an appropriate size for use with e-mail. Using the batch processing, I have just output the resized files to a new folder, and it has worked quite well for me. You might consider looking at that possibility.
NS
Nancy_S
Jan 22, 2004
Dave,

One other thing, as a word of caution. Ordinarily you wouldn’t want to have the "Resample" box checked when you resize any image. When one uses resample, the pixels are either discarded or artificially augmented in number and permanently change that file. This is the desired intent for creating an image for email, but counterproductive to maintaining the best quality of an image destined for print. For print, an image is resized without the resample function by changing only one variable in the Resize box. One would change or make sure the resolution of the image is between 200-300ppi (which keeps all the pixels). Without resample checked, resolution and printed output size are inversely proportional.

Nancy

edit—a good read about this is at <http://www.scantips.com>
GD
Grant_Dixon
Jan 22, 2004
Dave

A question about MS Picture it. Does it save files in .MIX format? I have someone that sends me files for my challenge in MIX and for the life of me I can’t convert them.

g.
JF
Jodi_Frye
Jan 22, 2004
Grant, irfanview wont do it ?
GD
Grant_Dixon
Jan 22, 2004
Jodi

Nothing will do it 😉 I have Elements, Photoshop, Corel + PhotoPaint, PaintShop Pro, IrfanView, ACDSee and a few others and … nothing … I do have a copy of MIC and that wretched graphics program that came with full version of Office, maybe I should reinstall them.

G.
PD
Pete_D
Jan 22, 2004
Dave,

If you use Windows XP you can e mail and convert size right from the file.

Just go to where the file is stored and click on it. Options are listed on the left side. Click e mail this file, then windows will ask if you want to resize to fit e mail or keep original file size.

Pete
J
jhjl1
Jan 22, 2004
Grant I found something that may help but you have to sign up to get the answer. I didn’t.
http://www.experts-exchange.com/Web/Graphics/Q_11846338.html

Have A Nice Day, 🙂
James Hutchinson
http://www.pbase.com/myeyesview
http://www.myeyesviewstudio.com/
NS
Nancy_S
Jan 22, 2004
Grant,

This is interesting…

<http://filext.com/detaillist.php?extdetail=.mix>
NS
Nancy_S
Jan 22, 2004
I also see it listed as a "Power C Object File"
NS
Nancy_S
Jan 22, 2004
"Microsoft Image Extensions (MIX)
The MIX format (.mix file extension) is the Microsoft PhotoDraw™ native file format and can display millions of colors. It maintains all the objects in the image separately, allowing you to edit the individual objects when you reopen the file. (Other file formats "flatten" all the objects into a single object.) Currently, it is only supported by PhotoDraw, but you can save to other file formats, including all of those listed in this article."

Maybe you could request the person to save it in another format.
GD
Grant_Dixon
Jan 22, 2004
Nancy

It is indeed a Microsoft Image Extension and I can now view a thumbnail of it in Word,, thanks to James Hutchinson, but that is the limit. I do keep requesting and the translated file is sent back to me but I would like to be able to do this at this end as I want to encourage people to take part in the challenge.

g.
KW
Kyle_White
Jan 22, 2004
I can’t help with the .MIX file, but for e-mail attachments I use the "Save for Web…" option. This allows me to tailor the picture to my intended receipient, be they on dial-up or broadband.

It also has the benefit of creating an OS-neutral file that doesn’t contain a thumbnail or other meta-data.

HTH

Kyle
NS
Nancy_S
Jan 23, 2004
You are absolutely the most obliging man I have ever known.
KW
Kyle_White
Jan 23, 2004
AAwwww, shucks <blush>

K

How to Improve Photoshop Performance

Learn how to optimize Photoshop for maximum speed, troubleshoot common issues, and keep your projects organized so that you can work faster than ever before!

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections