JW
Posted By
Jeff_Weez
Aug 17, 2004
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
What is the difference between bitmap mode and saving as a bitmap? You can save a bitmap file as a TIFF, but is that recommend? Please advise especially with regards to using transparent or colored images in Illustrator.

I want to make sure I’m not giving junked up files to my printer.

MacBook Pro 16” Mockups 🔥

– in 4 materials (clay versions included)

– 12 scenes

– 48 MacBook Pro 16″ mockups

– 6000 x 4500 px

MO
Mike_Ornellas
Aug 17, 2004
Bitmap mode is a color space. (or the lack of color)

Saving a bitmap file is saving a file in bitmap mode.

If you need transparent whites, you need to save a EPS bitmap file.

If you need to colorize a bitmap file to be placed into In Design or Illustrator, you need to save a TIF file in bitmap mode.
CB
charles_badland
Aug 17, 2004
It looks as if there are (at least) three different usages for the term for “bitmap” that may contribute to your question. (And please someone correct me if I’m wrong.):

"Bitmap" used generically to describe any pixel based graphic. (As opposed to a Vector graphic)
"Bitmap Mode" in Photoshop refers to a 1-bit mode where the pixels are either black or white.
BMP (“bitmap”), a standard image file format used in a Windows environment.
KN
Ken_Nielsen
Aug 17, 2004
An ancient term from the first century of computing. Much of the early writings have been lost. Bitmap means pixels. Bitmap mode means pixels are black or white, no in-between shades of gray. The bitmap file format is common to Windows. The file format .bmp can contain pixels as shades of gray or color.

To learn the scientific parameters of the .bmp file format do a search on google.
EH
Ed_Hannigan
Aug 17, 2004
To go a bit further, yes, TIFF is a very good format in the right circumstances, and it does support transparency. Usually you DON’T want to save as .bmp !

So, what do you want to do with the file(s)?
KN
Ken_Nielsen
Aug 17, 2004
If he’s giving the files to a commercial printer he should choose tiff over bmp.
JW
Jeff_Weez
Aug 18, 2004
We’re designing tshirts using illustrator, with transparent bitmaps and color blocks showing through from underneath.

I was concerned that if the mode is bitmap, the file format should be bitmap as well. Sorta like saving a CMYK image as a JPEG – it’s possible, but incorrect.

Now I realize that it’s ok to save bitmap mode as a TIFF.
MO
Mike_Ornellas
Aug 18, 2004
Just because you can, does not mean you should.

MacBook Pro 16” Mockups 🔥

– in 4 materials (clay versions included)

– 12 scenes

– 48 MacBook Pro 16″ mockups

– 6000 x 4500 px

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections