Aug 26, 2003
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
Is there a way to reduce glare produced when scanning a photo? Thanks,
Cindy

Must-have mockup pack for every graphic designer 🔥🔥🔥

Easy-to-use drag-n-drop Photoshop scene creator with more than 2800 items.

EG
Eric Gill
Aug 26, 2003
"cindy" wrote in kc.rr.com:

Is there a way to reduce glare produced when scanning a photo?

Use a scanner that doesn’t produce glare?
RH
Randy Hills
Aug 26, 2003
try rotating your scan document 45 degrees or so or set it to reflective scan

cindy wrote:

Cindy

B
Blittzen
Aug 26, 2003
brilliant answer

"Eric Gill" wrote in message

EG
Eric Gill
Aug 26, 2003
"Blittzen" wrote in
news:58M2b.29115$:

"Eric Gill" wrote in message
"cindy" wrote in
news:7GK2b.2053$ kc.rr.com:

brilliant answer

Indeed. If a scanner is producing glare, it’s broken.
B
ben-dover
Aug 26, 2003
all i can suggest is to try different settings on your scanner and see if you can locate the cause of the glare i personally have never seen a scanner produce glare but you never know.
"Randy Hills" wrote in message
try rotating your scan document 45 degrees or so or set it to reflective scan

cindy wrote:

Cindy
C
cindy
Aug 26, 2003
it’s new, and not a cheap one, so I doubt that.

brilliant answer

EG
Eric Gill
Aug 27, 2003

brilliant answer

it’s new, and not a cheap one, so I doubt that.

I don’t. One of the good things about a scanner is that you are able to control the exact amount of light on the flatbed, drum or scan chamber.

Either you’re not giving us a very good description of the problem (for example, those prints don’t just happen to have a velveteen finish, do they?) or the scanner is screwy.
JC
J C
Aug 27, 2003
On Tue, 26 Aug 2003 23:57:45 GMT, "cindy" wrote:

BUZZ. Next…

If you see glare, then I’d guess you’re scanning extremely gloss prints and that the print is not 100% in contact with the glass.

Try placing sheets of cardboard ontop of the photo then lowering the lid.

— JC
SS
Steve Simpson
Aug 27, 2003
Depending on exactly what is meant by ‘glare’, it may be produced by haze on the scanner glass.

I have a brand new epson perfection 2400 photo which needs to be taken apart to clean the haze off the underside of the glass. If I scan prints at the bottom of the glass (nearest the lid opening) they are perfect. Scaning at the top where the haze is produces something one might call ‘glare’ on print scans.

Doesn’t seem to effect scanned negatives. Perhaps because those scans are not reflective, but use light passing through the film.

I have read that new scanners with dirty glass is quite common . . particularly Epson.

C
cindy
Aug 28, 2003
Thanks, J C, that’s exactly what’s going on. The photo has a portion that was probably water damaged at one time. It’s not perfectly flat. I will give the cardboard a shot.
Cindy

If you see glare, then I’d guess you’re scanning extremely gloss prints and that the print is not 100% in contact with the glass.
Try placing sheets of cardboard ontop of the photo then lowering the lid.

— JC
JC
J C
Aug 28, 2003
On Wed, 27 Aug 2003 20:15:16 -0500, "cindy"
wrote:

Thanks, J C, that’s exactly what’s going on. The photo has a portion that was probably water damaged at one time. It’s not perfectly flat. I will give the cardboard a shot.
Cindy

You’re welcome.

Since I have the slide adapter lid on one of our machines, when scanning reflective art, the lid does not push down on the image enough… so we have several cardboard sheets that we place on top (one of which is extremely thick for particularly recalictrant artwork.

— JC
U
Uni
Aug 29, 2003
Mike Russell wrote:
cindy wrote:

Cindy,

Here’s a way that’s worked for me. Try scanning twice, rotating the image 180 degrees between scans.

Bad idea. Try less than 180 degrees.

Uni

Un-rotate the second image, then add it to the first as a layer in darken mode, set the transparency to 50% while you line the images up, and then set the layer mode to "darken".

The problem with this method is that it’s difficult to get the two images to line up exactly everywhere. For one thing scanners are not mechanically perfect. There are a variety of tricks to try, including upsampling or scanning at a higher rez than your final image, mounting the image on a square card, and finding a spot where your scanner seems to be more consistent.

If you haven’t already, check out Wayne Fulton’s site <www.scantips.com> .
J
jeffc
Aug 30, 2003
Instead of lowering the opacity to 50%, try setting the top layer to difference mode, and it’s very easy to line them up.
Buster

On Fri, 29 Aug 2003 22:50:48 GMT, "Mike Russell" wrote:

cindy wrote:

Cindy,

Here’s a way that’s worked for me. Try scanning twice, rotating the image 180 degrees between scans.

Un-rotate the second image, then add it to the first as a layer in darken mode, set the transparency to 50% while you line the images up, and then set the layer mode to "darken".

The problem with this method is that it’s difficult to get the two images to line up exactly everywhere. For one thing scanners are not mechanically perfect. There are a variety of tricks to try, including upsampling or scanning at a higher rez than your final image, mounting the image on a square card, and finding a spot where your scanner seems to be more consistent.

If you haven’t already, check out Wayne Fulton’s site <www.scantips.com> .

MacBook Pro 16” Mockups 🔥

– in 4 materials (clay versions included)

– 12 scenes

– 48 MacBook Pro 16″ mockups

– 6000 x 4500 px

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections