FO
Posted By
Frank_Oberle
Jan 20, 2004
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
I loaded some TIFF images of old birth records from a microfilm machine at the local Family History Center while doing genealogy research (their program saves the selected pages and writes the images to a CD).

I wrote 65 images onto the CD, but when I got home I found out that all the images were in a single [LARGE] TIFF file. They had a Kodak utility (don’t know the name) that shows the file with [Next] and [Previous] page buttons so I know all the images are in the file.

When I load the file into Elements (v1) to "clean up" the images for inclusion into my genealogy files, all I can see or get at is the first image.

How can I separate these with Elements, or am I out of luck?

Thanks very much for any assistance anyone can offer.

Master Retouching Hair

Learn how to rescue details, remove flyaways, add volume, and enhance the definition of hair in any photo. We break down every tool and technique in Photoshop to get picture-perfect hair, every time.

B
BobHill
Jan 20, 2004
Frank,

When you see that "one" image, is it an image with all the microfilm pages on it? If so, what’s the resolution of this "image"? Go to Image, Resize, Image size and check for Resolution. If it’s high (higher than 300PPI) you’ll be able to at least double the size of each single image within the large all page image. But if it’s less than 300ppi (down to 150ppi) it’s going to be hard to increase it’s printable size without Resampling and that tends to blur the text. You can do what you can and still make it readable however, then make separate files of each page by using the marquee tool (dashed rectangle tool) to select "one single page" then Copy it. Go to File, New and then you’ll get a sized new blank canvas. Paste will fill this with your selection. And so on.

Bob
J
JRS
Jan 20, 2004
If you are using XP its own picture and fax viewer can se multipage tiffs. otherwise for win98/95 there is the Kodak /Wang viewer. There are also lots of other utilities such as Irfanview.

Jon

wrote in message
I loaded some TIFF images of old birth records from a microfilm machine at the local Family History Center while doing genealogy research (their program saves the selected pages and writes the images to a CD).
I wrote 65 images onto the CD, but when I got home I found out that all the images were in a single [LARGE] TIFF file. They had a Kodak utility (don’t know the name) that shows the file with [Next] and [Previous] page buttons so I know all the images are in the file.

When I load the file into Elements (v1) to "clean up" the images for inclusion into my genealogy files, all I can see or get at is the first image.

JH
Jim_Hess
Jan 20, 2004
TIFF images have the capability of storing multiple pages. These pages are different from the layers that we create using Photoshop Elements. I cannot explain the difference between the two technologies as far as they relate to the files. I purchased an add-in for Visual Basic which allowed me to write a program that will scan images or text or whatever, and store that information in multiple page tiff files. Some of my files contain as many as 100 pages. As an experiment I opened one of those images in Elements, but I was only able to view the first image. I don’t know what program you used to create those files, but it probably has some advanced technology that is required to view those individual pages.
FO
Frank_Oberle
Jan 20, 2004
Bob:

Thanks very much for your response, but the problem isn’t one of resolution (which is quite good on the one image I can access). The images are not on one plane, but rather are totally different images in a single file. I checked out the TIFF spec and this is something that is allowed for. As Jim Hess suggests in his response, these are sort of analogous to layers, but are really totally different separate images in the single file.

Frank
EW
Ed_Wurster
Jan 20, 2004
wrote:

I wrote 65 images onto the CD, but when I got home I found out that all the images were in a single [LARGE] TIFF file. They had a Kodak utility (don’t know the name) that shows the file with [Next] and
[Previous] page buttons so I know all the images are in the file.

Mac? PC?

Ed
FO
Frank_Oberle
Jan 20, 2004
Ed:

It’s a PC running Windows 98, and it’s version 1 of Elements.

Frank
AF
Alan_Forist
Jan 20, 2004
Frank,
I had the same thing happen to me a while ago. I did a google search for multiple page tiff file readers and came up with
<http://home.earthlink.net/~ritter/tiff/#multi>

I did not try any of the programs listed as I own PaperPort which did work for me.

I hope this helps.

Good Luck.
Al
EW
Ed_Wurster
Jan 20, 2004
wrote:
Ed:

It’s a PC running Windows 98, and it’s version 1 of Elements.
Frank

Irfanview.

Fax software may also be able to read it.

Ed
MM
Mac_McDougald
Jan 20, 2004
IrfanView has opened every multi-page TIFF I’ve ever gotten hold of. You can go to each page copy/paste into new image in Elements. Oh, easier: Iview has option to save each page as BMP automatically.

Mac
JH
Jim_Hess
Jan 20, 2004
Ah yes, Irfanview! I have it and use it occasionally, but I have never taken the time to realize its full potential. It probably should go without saying, if all else fails try Irfanview.
JF
Jodi_Frye
Jan 20, 2004
Hey Mac…..when i downloaded that irfanview a few weeks back < yes, i’m slow> I noticed something ’bout Irfanview plug-ins…..anything good ? Do you know ? I only used the program once to open an image that nothing else would open.
MM
Mac_McDougald
Jan 20, 2004
Jodi:
Yep, I use the plugins. Some image formats need them.
Iview will do movie and audio files also, you need the plugins for those and etc.

Mac
JF
Jodi_Frye
Jan 20, 2004
Cool ! good to know…thanks !

How to Improve Photoshop Performance

Learn how to optimize Photoshop for maximum speed, troubleshoot common issues, and keep your projects organized so that you can work faster than ever before!

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections