MK
Posted By
Mike_Kitchen
Jan 19, 2004
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
I have a weird problem. Photoshop Elements opens normally (without crashing or error messages) but whatever tool is selected, it works as the erase tool. Elements had been working fine for 12 months but just broke without anything being installed.

I have tried uninstalling and reinstalling but the problem is still there.

System info:
Windows 98SE
Athlon 1800XP
256MB
ATI AIW Radeon

Any help would be appreciated

MacBook Pro 16” Mockups 🔥

– in 4 materials (clay versions included)

– 12 scenes

– 48 MacBook Pro 16″ mockups

– 6000 x 4500 px

BG
Byron Gale
Jan 19, 2004
Mike,

Try re-setting your preferences…

Immediately after double-clicking the PSE icon to start the app, press and hold ALT-CTRL-SHIFT. You’ll get a confirmation, as Elements starts, which lets you delete the preferences file.

If you don’t get it, just try again and be faster on the trigger with the 3-key combination.

This simple process has cured all sorts of wierdness in Elements. Post back either way to let us know how you fare.

HTH,

Byron
MK
Mike_Kitchen
Jan 19, 2004
Byron

Thanks for the quick response. After four attempts at alt-ctrl-shift (must be getting old – the reflexes are not what they use to be) I managed to delete the preferences but still the same problem.

Have also now found that somebody did install another program on the PC without my knowledge. Guess it could have altered some shared files?

Thanks Mike
BG
Byron Gale
Jan 19, 2004
Mike,

Sorry that the deleting preferences didn’t help… it usually clears up odd behavior.

The only other thing that I can come up with is to uninstall / re-install Elements. In any event, you should probably wait until some of the others chime in on this thread, in case they have more to add, before you go ahead – unless you already feel comfortable with the idea.

Byron
BH
Beth_Haney
Jan 19, 2004
Try one more thing before doing anything drastic. With your Eraser tool selected (or any tool from the toolbar for that matter) go to the extreme left of the Option Bar where the icon for the active tool is showing. Click and hold and then select Reset All Tools.

If that doesn’t work, you’ll probably have to do a complete uninstall/reinstall. Use the Windows helper to uninstall, and then do a Find for any straggling files/folders, particularly the Elements Preference folder. (If that doesn’t come off, you could get a corrupted reinstall.) Then disable any antivirus software you have running before reinstalling. Good luck!

MacBook Pro 16” Mockups 🔥

– in 4 materials (clay versions included)

– 12 scenes

– 48 MacBook Pro 16″ mockups

– 6000 x 4500 px

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections