C
Posted By
captainfreedom
Nov 8, 2005
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
Does the latest version of Photoshop have a gap tolerance setting? I mean if you want to fill in a bordered area, but there are tiny hardly-visible gaps in the border, the whole area including outside the border will get filled in too. Other graphic applications have this "gap tolerance" setting to counteract this.

How to Master Sharpening in Photoshop

Give your photos a professional finish with sharpening in Photoshop. Learn to enhance details, create contrast, and prepare your images for print, web, and social media.

Y
YrbkMgr
Nov 8, 2005
In short, no, there is no gap tolerance setting. The way the paint bucket tool works is similar to the magic wand in that it uses the Eyedropper tool to set the sample size (point sample, 3×3, or 5×5). So it then matches that sample size to the tolerance settings in the options bar and fills.

Personally, I never use the paint bucket tool – I don’t think ever. You can get your selection via a variety of ways and then tweak it before filling it. So for my money the Paint Bucket isn’t all that useful.

Peace,
Tony
TM
Trevor_Morris
Nov 8, 2005
Alternatively, you can add a layer on top (or beneath), paint across the gap and use the Paint Bucket with the Use All Layers option enabled fill on the original layer. Voila! 🙂
C
captainfreedom
Nov 9, 2005
The problem is that it’s horribly time consuming painting over each gap. This problem ocurrs typically when you have a hand drawn border and there are hunderds of small gaps
TM
Trevor_Morris
Nov 9, 2005
Hmm, yes, much more interesting…

Try this:

Magic Wand in the desired area
Contract Selection until the gaps close
New Layer
Fill (you now have a bunch of "islands")
Magic Wand the desired regions on the Fill layer
Expand Selection (back to meet the edges of whatever)
Delete the Fill layer

Make sense?
C
captainfreedom
Nov 9, 2005
Hmm, I’ll try it, maybe it works. Thanks very much for your help 🙂

How to Master Sharpening in Photoshop

Give your photos a professional finish with sharpening in Photoshop. Learn to enhance details, create contrast, and prepare your images for print, web, and social media.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections