The wizard was interrupted before Adobe Photoshop CS2 could be completely installed.

JS
Posted By
james_smythe
Nov 8, 2005
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
I’ve downloaded the photoshop CS2 trial, and I’ve spent all afternoon attempting to install it. It allows me to get to the stage of selecting which files to associate with photoshop, then says, click to begin installation, rapidly followed by a message box saying:

‘The wizard was interrupted before Adobe Photoshop CS2 could be completely installed.’

I’m using Windows 2000 service pack 4.

Only thing I can think that might be causing it is a long time ago photoshop version 4.0 was installed on this machine, but it’s been uninstalled for a while now (could it be e.g. something hanging around in the registry?).

Master Retouching Hair

Learn how to rescue details, remove flyaways, add volume, and enhance the definition of hair in any photo. We break down every tool and technique in Photoshop to get picture-perfect hair, every time.

I
ID._Awe
Nov 8, 2005
james: you might not be able to install it at this point because of the failed installations. I would suggest that you re-download a new trial (incase the one you have is corrupted) and install that. when installing do not customize anything about the installation.
JS
james_smythe
Nov 8, 2005
Hi! I think it’s unlikely the file is corrupt as winzip would have likely reported checksum errors.

I didn’t choose any custom options in the installation, just chose ‘trial’ and accepted default location and file associations.

It would have been more helpful if I could actually find an installation log file somewhere which would tell me where the installation failed?
L
LenHewitt
Nov 8, 2005
James,

Clear out youre temp folder and try again
JS
james_smythe
Nov 8, 2005
Hi Len .. I cleared out the localsettings/temp folder and the winNT/temp folder … no luck. I’ve also been trying making sure all the services are on just in case the windows installer is relying on one.

I also spent most of the afternoon trying to work out if there was something in the registry / some file left over from photoshop 4 that was causing a problem, using RegMon and FileMon. Unfortunately the installer seemed to edit like about 60,000 entries in the registry so it was a bit hard to track down!!

I would do a clean install of windows, but unfortunately I’ve got a lot of software installed on here, and it would take a long while to get everything else back working.

Thanks
JS
james_smythe
Nov 8, 2005
Ok .. on a hunch I decided to install the .NET framework (as I don’t think I have that on my computer). When I downloaded the .NET framework 2.0 from microsoft, it also decided to update my windows installer, so I now have windows installer 3.1.

Now when I run the setup an identical thing happens, but it gives me more information. Before giving me the dreaded ‘The wizard was interrupted’ message it gives me a messagebox that says:

Error 1305.Error reading from file G:\Photoshop CS2\Adobe(R) Photoshop(R) CS2\Adobe Photoshop CS2.msi. Verify that the file exists and that you can access it.

The file is there, and I’m presuming it means the permissions .. they are set to full control. So it sounds as though something in the installer is keeping the file open and then attempting to open it again when it’s already in use?
JS
james_smythe
Nov 8, 2005
I got it to work!!! Yay!! Only took all day …

Well this is what I did

1) Installed Windows installer 3.1
2) Installed .NET framework 2
3) Logged in as Administrator
4) Installed

I had been trying all previous attempts logged in as my usual user, who had administrator rights. So I’m guessing that the installation program either needed you to be logged on as administrator (rather than admin rights) OR the settings for the user I usually used (registry or local settings) were somehow causing problems for the installer, and changing to a new local user prevented these.

Hope this helps someone else having the same problem!!
L
LenHewitt
Nov 9, 2005
Pleased to hear you got it sorted, James.

Must-have mockup pack for every graphic designer 🔥🔥🔥

Easy-to-use drag-n-drop Photoshop scene creator with more than 2800 items.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections