DY
Posted By
david_yorkes
Jan 15, 2004
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
HOW DO I SCAN 35MM SLIDES FROM AN EPSON 2450 TO ADOBE PHOTOSHOP ELEMENTS? WHEN IT ASKS FOR IMAGE TYPE, THERE IS NOT A PROVISION FOR 35MM SLIDES.

MacBook Pro 16” Mockups 🔥

– in 4 materials (clay versions included)

– 12 scenes

– 48 MacBook Pro 16″ mockups

– 6000 x 4500 px

DS
Dick_Smith
Jan 15, 2004
David,

Where are you getting the diaog asking for image type? If it is in the scanner and you are preparing to scan, I would assume you would choose color photograph or color or whatever.

If if is in elements it could well be referring to the image file type, i.e. .jpg, .bmp etc.

But, to be sure, tell us the exact steps you are taking to do this process, begin with inserting the color slide into the scanner and go from there. Also it would be helpful to know what OS you are using.

Finally, generally speaking we do not using all caps to post messages to this forum because it is the equivalent of YELLING in human speech. 🙂

Dick
JC
Jane_Carter
Jan 15, 2004
Hi David, If you use a Nikon Coolpix 990 or equivalent camera, let me know, as there is a fantastic process to digitize your slides that I use. But it will only work with these cameras. You bypass the scanner entirely.
If you have a different camera, ignore this message.
Jane
RC
Richard_Coencas
Jan 15, 2004
I have an epson 2400 and it came with a slide adapter. If the epson you have came with the transparency holder this is roughly how it works. Use the epson twain 5 plug-in, and choose (working from memory here) transparency or postitive transparency, and then select color photo. You want to do a bit of math to scan at a resolution that will give you an image equal to the print size at 300 ppi (rule of thumb here, can be less too). So, depending on the print size, you may want to scan anywhere from 1200 ppi to 2400 ppi. If you are using the scan for the web, you can decrease these numbers.

You also need to remove part of the inside of the scanner cover, otherwise it won’t recognize that you are scanning transparencies. You might want to check your scanner manual.

Rich
NH
noel_hsu
Jan 15, 2004
Hi Jane, I do have a 990, and would be interested in the process for digitizing slides. thank you
noel
JC
Jane_Carter
Jan 16, 2004
Hi Noel, Here is the attachment, and it works so very well! I bought one long ago, and have used it a lot. Great results, you are creating new photos, so just open them in PSE, so scanning involved.
After you have looked this over,
<http://www.steves-digicams.com/happenstance.html> if you have more questions, you can reach me at
All you need is non-direct light, I use the kitchen window just before the sun gets to it, bright but not directional.
Jane
SK
Shan_Ko
Jan 16, 2004
David,

I don’t know if there is any difference between your Scanner and my Epson 3200 Photo Scanner. Mine came with the software that loads and self configurates with associations(?) into PSE 2. To scan, I simple click File>Import and I have a choice of EpsonScan or another cutdown scanning software. Upon selection of S/W a Scan window pops up with choice of the scan material, reflective (documents & prints) and Transparency (negatives or slides). Then there are choices of bit depth (48 bit or 24 bit), output resolution and size. The scanner comes with a carrier for four mounted slide. Films strip for negatives and transparencis alike are mounted on another carrier with two side-by-side strips, each for a maximum of six frames.

Your 2450 should have pretty much the same Epson S/W. A good site to visit is www.scantips.com.. Wayne Fulton gives very good advice in scanning. Hope this helps.

Shan
BM
Brett_Matthews
Jan 16, 2004
David,

I have the 2450 and have achieved good results with it. However, I have found the supplied Epson software very limited. I recommend you use Vuescan instead, it is reasonably priced and much better IMHO. The big advantage (among many) is the ability to get accurate colour conversions for hundreds of different films.

That said, if you are going to use the Epson software, I recommend that you stay out of PSE in the first instance. When you turn the scanner on, the Epson Smart Panel should start up automatically. You should choose "Save to File".

Save your images with your chosen names and folder locations. When you have finished scanning, THEN open the images in PSE for editing.

I’m happy to help if you have any other questions about the 2450.

Brett
TD
tello_daronatsy
Jan 17, 2004
David I also own an Epson scanner 1200 photo and have scanned many slides with it and the method I have had the most luck with has been to open Photoshop elements, and while it is open I turn on my scanner, and while the scanner is warming up I go to elements and click on file and a drop down box appears I then click import and another box will appear and in it I click twain and my scanner window opens in elements, then I scan at 1200 dpi and the scanner goes about its business and after the scan I close the scanner window and the slide is now in the elements window.
Hope this is of some help for you.
Tello
BB
Bert_Bigelow
Jan 17, 2004
David, two methods of scanning slides have been proposed to you in the last two posts. Both will work. However, Brett’s method simplifies the problem by eliminating the need for the Twain driver interface between the scanner and PSE. This interface has been the cause of problems for some users. If you just scan the image to a file and then open the file in PSE as you would any image file, life is simpler. I recommend Brett’s method.
Bert

How to Improve Photoshop Performance

Learn how to optimize Photoshop for maximum speed, troubleshoot common issues, and keep your projects organized so that you can work faster than ever before!

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections