SP
Posted By
steve_peters
Aug 8, 2004
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
I have been using Photoshop since 2.0, but I work by myself. So I am wondering if someone can recommend some advanced Photoshop books?

Master Retouching Hair

Learn how to rescue details, remove flyaways, add volume, and enhance the definition of hair in any photo. We break down every tool and technique in Photoshop to get picture-perfect hair, every time.

MO
Mike_Ornellas
Aug 8, 2004
This is a wide subject and request.

Do you have a specific focus and/or interest?
AS
Ann_Shelbourne
Aug 8, 2004
I suggest that Bruce Fraser’s "Real World Photoshop" is probably a must.

After that it would depend upon which part of the program that you wanted to pursue in greater depth.
PC
Pierre_Courtejoie
Aug 8, 2004
Ann beat me to it.. His Real world color management is good too. If you like photography, Martin Evening’s Photoshop for Photographers is a good one. One of my favs is still Photoshop channels chops… it was made for V4 but some of the tips are still good that was real harcore photoshopping at the time!
MO
Mike_Ornellas
Aug 8, 2004
Andrew Rodney is writing a book.

I think it will be very interesting so pre order it now before it sells out.

(short run)
PC
Pierre_Courtejoie
Aug 8, 2004
Andrew! mmh!
were can we pre order it?
Isn’t Jeff Schewe supposed to write one?

And you Mike? I see the title already: "MO vs 21st Century Color Management"
MO
Mike_Ornellas
Aug 8, 2004
Na,

I’d only scare people if I wrote a book.

there’s already enough damage at this point…
DM
david_marley
Aug 9, 2004
For people interested in photo-enhancement, Vincent Versace has a book coming out.
PC
Pierre_Courtejoie
Aug 9, 2004
Mike, do you know where it is possible to preorder Andrew’s book? Steve, the two photoshop master class books (by Caponigro and the other by John Lund) seem must haves for me!
MO
Mike_Ornellas
Aug 9, 2004
off hand, no not yet.
AR
Andrew Rodney
Aug 9, 2004
It’s a book on color management (Color management for Photographers is the title) and will not be out until February of next year.
RC
Ric_Cohn
Aug 9, 2004
For pure color correction, Margulis’s Professional Photoshop has more than you knew there was to know about using Curves and Channel Blending and working in CMYK.
PC
Pierre_Courtejoie
Aug 9, 2004
Andrew, how do you position your book vis-a-vis Bruce’s one? Yours is more targeted for photo, we can guess that! but, I guess that there’s more! 😀
AR
Andrew Rodney
Aug 9, 2004
–>Andrew, how do you position your book vis-a-vis Bruce’s one?

I really don’t want to say much since the book is a bit off (this is actually the first time in public I’ve even mentioned that a book was on it’s way to clarify that it’s not a Photoshop book per say but a color management book). I can say there is a fairly significant chapter that’s tutorial based and that an accompanying CD is on order to allow people to follow some steps on their own. My main goal was to keep the color geek speak to an absolute minimum. The manuscript is done, undergoing technical review, then layout, printing etc so there’s a long road ahead.
PC
Pierre_Courtejoie
Aug 9, 2004
Courage, and patience, Andrew! Books seems indeed like a very long delivery!
AR
Andrew Rodney
Aug 9, 2004
It’s an insane thing to do (I say that after starting in late December not having a bloody idea what the heck I was doing). I’m still pretty green although I think it will be a good product and fill a niche. Short of the kinds of advances Bill Clinton gets, I can’t imagine why anyone would go through this much work however everyone who knows about the project tells me it’s worth it when done. That’s a way’s off but I think I see the light at the end of the tunnel. If the book does well, the next tough part is doing the casting for the movie adaptation <g>.
MO
Mike_Ornellas
Aug 9, 2004
Oh no….
PC
Pierre_Courtejoie
Aug 9, 2004
I don’t know why but I picture Michael Moore playing MO’s role…
SP
steve_peters
Aug 10, 2004
I have Professional Photoshop 5. Is there any new info in the latest installment? I also have John Paul Caponigro’s Master Class, the first addition. Again is there anything new in the latest addition?

How to Master Sharpening in Photoshop

Give your photos a professional finish with sharpening in Photoshop. Learn to enhance details, create contrast, and prepare your images for print, web, and social media.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections