Posted By
Barnet_Malin
Jan 8, 2004
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
Hi,

I’m fairly new to PE and this is my first forum visit. I would like to create a batch command for files in a folder to be sharpened by Nik Sharpener. I did a quick search and looked at FAQs but didn’t see anything on doing this. Currently I open each file individually, sharpen save and close, then open the next. I’ve heard that such batch commands can be created, but I don’t see how to do it.

Thanks so much in advance for any help and instruction.

Barnet

Master Retouching Hair

Learn how to rescue details, remove flyaways, add volume, and enhance the definition of hair in any photo. We break down every tool and technique in Photoshop to get picture-perfect hair, every time.

MM
Michael Moody
Jan 8, 2004
Hi Barnet. I haven’t heard of the Nik Sharpener before and the web site seems quite interesting. Have you used the program for very long? How would you compare the results to the sharpening done in PE2? I have a couple of fabulous photos that were taken with my first (and not so good) digital camera, and I’m hoping to bring them up to a better quality.

wrote in message
Hi,

I’m fairly new to PE and this is my first forum visit. I would like to
create a batch command for files in a folder to be sharpened by Nik Sharpener. I did a quick search and looked at FAQs but didn’t see anything on doing this. Currently I open each file individually, sharpen save and close, then open the next. I’ve heard that such batch commands can be created, but I don’t see how to do it.
Thanks so much in advance for any help and instruction.

Barnet
BH
Beth_Haney
Jan 8, 2004
What you’re referring to is an "action." Elements has the capability of playing some actions that were created in full Photoshop, but you cannot create actions in either version of Elements. If you know someone with the full version of PS (probably PS 7.0 or earlier, not CS) and Nik Sharpener, they might be able to create an action for you. Otherwise you’ll have to continue to do it manually.
BM
Barnet_Malin
Jan 8, 2004
Ohh, that hurts… 🙂

Thanks, I’ll see if I can find such a person. How are the actions created in PS exported to PE? I suppose you write some sort of file that can be imported into PE?
BH
Beth_Haney
Jan 9, 2004
I can’t give you a good explanation of the "hows", because I haven’t been using PS CS long enough yet to have actions mastered in that one, let alone seeing if I can move them to Elements! 🙂 There are a couple of people on the forum who do this occasionally. Maybe somebody will weigh in with the instructions (and I’ll write them down, too!)
JF
Jodi_Frye
Jan 9, 2004
Beth ! You bought CS ? Lucky girl ! I saw the upgrades on a Tech TV show and was thinking I wouldn’t mind having it though I’m waiting for the ‘RAID’ to start working.
TF
Terri_Foster
Jan 9, 2004
Beth! CS wow! I’ve been drooling over that even lurked around the photoshop forum to see if it was worth the cash. Is it buggy? I can’t figure out from the photoshop forum if it is the cat’s meow or a pig. So what do you think…meow or oink?
R
Ray
Jan 9, 2004
Same thing here! I can’t decide. On the Photoshop forum, they complain about any and everything.. it’s hard to distinguish between real complaints and false alarms…

Ray
BH
Beth_Haney
Jan 9, 2004
I got it just before the Holidays, and it was a week before I even had time to install it. There have been a lot of other things going on, so I haven’t given it much of a workout.

I’ve heard complaints about it, too, but they’ve come from pros who have a tendency to complain about a lot of stuff. 🙂 I doubt if I’ll ever use it heavily enough to notice bugs, so I’m probably not a great person to give a review. It installed perfectly and runs well on my old Mac, so that’s promising! (The Mac version doesn’t yet "call home" either!)
BB
Barbara_Brundage
Jan 9, 2004
I’ve been using photoshop CS some since it came out, and on my mac I don’t see any real problems.

It has some nice features, but gee, I’m still years away from exhausting what Elements can do. I still prefer to work in PE when it’s feasible to do so.
BB
Barbara_Brundage
Jan 9, 2004
One thing does annoy me very much about Photoshop, though, and that is that deleting prefs deletes your color settings and believe me, it’s a very big deal to get those back again in photoshop. (You could save them, I think, but for me deleting prefs is usually done on the spur of the moment and I still don’t think to go looking for them before I do.)
BH
Beth_Haney
Jan 9, 2004
Ha! Thanks for the warning Barbara! Should I ever get mine the way I want in the first place, maybe I’ll make a bunch of copies and poke them in a folder somewhere. Right. 🙂

How to Master Sharpening in Photoshop

Give your photos a professional finish with sharpening in Photoshop. Learn to enhance details, create contrast, and prepare your images for print, web, and social media.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections