M
Posted By
MikeKatz
Oct 26, 2005
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
I have a new computer with 2GB of RAM, and an AMD Athlon CPU. I have searched the knowledge base and removed some 8BX files which can cause problems with the Athlon, but it doesn’t seem to help.

I can be working in CS2, with nothing else running, and the system reboots and then announces a serious error that it identifies as a device driver error. I don’t get this at any time except for when I am running CS2.

I also have a Total Training training DVD for CS2, and when I run these together, it’s even worse.

I’ve allocated between 50% and 75% of the available memory to CS2, and it makes no difference.

Often, the crash occurs once I select a tool and then click on an image for the first time.

Can anyone help?

Mike

Master Retouching Hair

Learn how to rescue details, remove flyaways, add volume, and enhance the definition of hair in any photo. We break down every tool and technique in Photoshop to get picture-perfect hair, every time.

MD
Michael_D_Sullivan
Oct 27, 2005
It’s a driver error. Do you get a blue screen that mentions what driver? Or can you go to the events error log to see what happened?

Odds are it’s your video (graphics) driver.
M
MikeKatz
Oct 27, 2005
Hi Michael

Thanks for the feedback.

Windows just restarts, and then says it has recovered from a serious error. It then says it is a driver error, but it also says it cannot identify the driver.

If it’s a video error, why do I only get this error with PS?

Mike
L
LenHewitt
Oct 27, 2005
Mike,

When the machine re-boots like that it is virtually always a hardware problem – most usually a bad RAM chip, but could also be the motherboard or CPU. Bad drivers normally cause a BSOD rather than a shutdiwn – they have to be seriously bad to cause the machine to shut down. There is also just the outside chance that a BIOS problem could be responsible.

The reason you only see it with Photoshop is that Photoshop exercises parts of the machine other software doesn’t <g> – really, it drives a machine far harder than just about any other software, and is well known for finding hardware problems the other software doesn’t trigger.
M
MikeKatz
Oct 27, 2005
Problem solved – I did not supply sufficient information, nor was I intelligent – I just assumed it was a hardware issue.

I had my computer guy today, and he isolated the issue to Pivot Pro. I searched the forum here and found that there is an update required to work with CS2. I emailed the Pivot Pro guys and received an update within 10 minutes, which works.

Mike
CC
Chris_Cox
Oct 28, 2005
There are no "8BX files that cause problems with Athlon".

You deleted perfectly good extensions that were making Photoshop faster. You should reinstall those files.
M
MikeKatz
Oct 28, 2005
Thanks, I’ll try them. The Knowledge Base definitely reccomends renaming the MMX 8BX for Athlon.

Mike
CC
Chris_Cox
Oct 29, 2005
THe Knowledge base recommends disabling TEMPORARILY to diagnose problems like yours.

MMXCore works just fine with Athlons, Opterons, Durons, etc.

Master Retouching Hair

Learn how to rescue details, remove flyaways, add volume, and enhance the definition of hair in any photo. We break down every tool and technique in Photoshop to get picture-perfect hair, every time.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections